Marlin Firearms Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Traditional archer for many decades. I traded on a Horton three years ago. Love it, but Saturday, I will probably have a Colorado Bighorn with me. Our season is early this year and hope to get something in velvet. Never had the chance before.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Went to a cross bow a number of years ago due to.. yup, shoulder problem. I got the ten point, then went to the ten point with a more compact bow design. I have taken a number of deer with it, but don't feel it really lives up to the hype. Biggest it has gotten me is an 8 point! This year I will be using it on the ground for the first time. I'll be 75, but the biggest reason is the tree with my stand fell down.

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
I got a Stryker 350 specifically because a bunch of reviews put it in the top 5 QUIETEST. The trigger is excellent. I almost Robin Hood'd a bolt the first time I took it out. Anyway, word to those considering any one, READ THE DIRECTIONS on how to cock the crossbow. Having something slip because you did it backwards is not fun.

Ok, caveat to the first statement. I got a crossbow because I can't draw a bow anymore AND this beauty has been in my family for more than a half century. Grandfather made it for an uncle way way back. I have wanted one ever since. So, I guess I have two. The stock on it is much better than the pic shows. GP did caskets, cabinets and church/local set building for plays, etc. Apparently, he and the boys were good.
NCM_0824.JPG

Stoooopid pics always orient themselves how ever the want. Biggest reason I rarely post pics.

Reactions: mrguvna

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I got a Stryker 350 specifically because a bunch of reviews put it in the top 5 QUIETEST. The trigger is excellent. I almost Robin Hood'd a bolt the first time I took it out. Anyway, word to those considering any one, READ THE DIRECTIONS on how to cock the crossbow. Having something slip because you did it backwards is not fun. Ok, caveat to the first statement. I got a crossbow because I can't draw a bow anymore AND this beauty has been in my family for more than a half century. Grandfather made it for an uncle way way back. I have wanted one ever since. So, I guess I have two. The stock on it is much better than the pic shows. GP did caskets, cabinets and church/local set building for plays, etc. Apparently, he and the boys were good. View attachment 270209 Stoooopid pics always orient themselves how ever the want. Biggest reason I rarely post pics.
There's nothing wrong with that crossbow. It's the chair that's out of whack. Nice looking cb. It looks like your grand father knew what was doing.

Reactions: kobeinu

·
Super Moderator
11,461 Posts
I am going to his website now. Thanks for the customer service review. Really important to me. I buy cat trees from a veteran who started his company. Dynamite everything.... and my wife's cats like them. Me and my dogs are neutral.
You could have them do double duty by teaching the dawgs to tree the cats. Valuable skills!
Jus sayin...

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Lots of great crossbows out there. I have had a Horton, Excalibur, and currently shoot a Darton. Liked them all. Went to the Darton because the Excalibur was just too wide. Killed a lot of deer with it but it's almost 3 feet wide. The Darton is half that. Also the Darton is only 5 lbs more in draw weight but 100 fps faster. Darton's are made in Michigan.

Another good Xbow is Parker. They are made in Virginia and are good. Have several friends that shoot them. Another buddy shoots a Mission Sniper. Probably the quietest bow I have ever been around. He loves it.

If you are going to buy a bow, look around. Many bows to fit many likes.

I too loved the simplicity of the recurve crossbows but the only way to make them go faster is by increasing draw weight. Some of the new ones are over 250#. However technology can make them better and faster. Check them all out. I wanted a Scorpyd but didn't like the price. Stupid fast thought and accurate.

Vince

·
Registered
888 Posts
This season is the first season that Missouri has allowed Crossbows in the Archery season. This year on a whim I bought a Carbon Express Blade crossbow package rated at 320fps and a Leupold Crossbones scope, both items were on sale at MidwayUSA for around $400.00 total for both items. I have an 80 yard archery range that I set up on the north side of the property and after getting the crossbow put together and the scope mounted I went to zero in the scope. I set the dial on the scope to 320fps and zeroed it in on the 20 yard target. Next dot down on the scope is the 30 yard mark so I aimed and shot at the 30 yard target, dead on! I went all the way to the 70 yard target and the scope was dead on each time. If you haven't got the Leupold Crossbones scope on your crossbow, you really need to get one. This scope is clear and bright and once zeroed in at twenty yards, you're all set. This year I have only taken my Obsession Evolution bow out hunting but this weekend I may bring the crossbow out into the woods.

Reactions: westmoore

·
Registered
8,183 Posts
My buddy has a crossbow and last year he walked about a mile into his stand before daylight and got up in his stand and went to cock his crossbow and he forgot his cocking appratus. He sat in his stand hoping nothing would walk by and luckily nothing did. lol

·
Super Moderator
12,133 Posts
Looks like fun. My best friend cannot hunt with a compound bow any more due to shoulder problems so uses a crossbow exclusively now.

D

·
0 Posts
I bought an Excalibur 6 years ago after a 15 year hiatus of archery hunting due to my eye sight degradation ( I had to switch from Right handed to left handed shooting, another story). The first year I had it I dropped a nice 10 point in the Pittsburgh suburbs. Some people think you are "Cheating" using a Crossbow. BUT I disagree. Sure they are easy to shoot accurately, but how many archery hunters practice to the point where they make clean kills All the time ? I find the my Excalibur to be on the heavy side and difficult to comfortable carry in the woods. Its a one shot device, you will probably not have a chance to reload and shoot again, especially in a tree stand. Its accurate yes, but if you misjudge distance, you will still miss. I may look for a good used left hand bow and get back to shooting for fun, but I won't look back on the Crossbow.

·
Registered
888 Posts
My cocking decocking rope is always attached when its decocked.
Same here! I tie it to the butt stock when it's not being used so I don't lose or forget where i put it. When taking the crossbow out to shoot and after cocking it, the rope goes in a cargo or jacket pocket.

I did take mine out hunting this past deer season and ended up taking down a nice 12 point white tail at 44-45 yards. The shot couldn't have been more perfect, hit it and it went 20 yards and toppled over. The bolt went through the heart. I realized while practicing with this crossbow, that you better get your shot right the first time. Having to get a crossbow ready to fire a second shot, if needed, takes a lot of movement and time. With a bow, if needed, you can get a second shot off with very little movement and do it in a matter of seconds.

·
Banned
4,733 Posts
I can get a second shot off with the excalibur recurve fairly quick, I found out the hard way while killing hogs.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have three crossbows. A Ten point FX4 a Barnett Raptor and an older Excalibur Vortex. The Barnett is the most hunting friendly crossbow. It's the lightest and most compact(narrowest) in size. The Ten point is slightly heavier and wider but absolutely better in quality. With all that being said, I like my Excalibur Vortex the best. The thing is amazingly accurate and simple. Only problem I have with it is that it is 36" wide:( I like the Excalibur so much that I'm thinking about selling all three to get a new Excalibur Micro Suppressor! The technology is advancing every day but the simple recurve design just works. There are many quality crossbow manufacturers and components out there, I believe they create opportunities to help those who need them.

Reactions: myflatline

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
I have one I bought mostly as a novelty over 30 years ago. It is a Barnett (?) 175 lbs. draw weight. The peculiar thing about it is that it folds in half to cock it. No pulleys nor ropes nor levers. So you can't forget the cocking mechanism! I'm not very good with it and the carbon bolts would shatter if (when) they hit anything hard, but the aluminum ones work OK. I once shot it straight up and lost sight of the bolt! Mad scramble to see it on the way down! Palm trees at 10 yards were lost bolts, as one couldn't get them out. But it is fun to show up at the range with it.

Luisyamaha

21 - 40 of 42 Posts