Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last deer season I lost a buck when the hammer fell on a partial pushed in safety. It must have been bumped cause I had the chamber empty. Has anyone had that problem and what they did to fix it? I have considered removing the cross bolt. I thought it had a better detent than it does. Had just the one shot and the hammer just goes click. This is the levergun I've owned with this contraption on it. Thanks for any suggestions. IJ

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
I deleted mine shortly after I bought my 1895GS. I saw an older post done by member salvo and he had made a safety delete and drilled and tapped the non screw slotted side for a saddle ring.......only problem was they were only marketed at the time in blued steel and no one was making them in stainless. I'm a Tool & Die Maker so I made my own.

If you're handy in the machine shop area I can give the dimensions on what you need to do to make it work, I've helped a few other members out that wanted to make their own. If not there's a few places you can buy them.....see the links at the bottom. Now I see there's a guy that makes them in stainless (Beartooth)..... I appreciate mine more since I made it myself though.... ;)

My GS with the safety replacement I made.....this side looks like all of the other screws.

With the saddle ring added.

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/crossbolt_safety.htm (Clyde's the original guy that started marketing them for the public)

https://beartoothmercantile.com/Firearm_Accessories.html

·
Premium Member
7,694 Posts
Here are two of Beartooths offerings.

I really like the design on this one.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I like the old look with the saddle ring but do any of yall worry about scratching your receiver or buttstock?

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
dave4570 said:
I like the old look with the saddle ring but do any of yall worry about scratching your receiver or buttstock?
Not at all...... and if it were to get scratched the stainless is such an easy fix for scratches compared to blued guns. The dark red (maroon) Scotch-Brite will remove any scratches in seconds and make it look like new.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Another easy solution for the safety is to remove your buttstock, set the safety to off and turn the set screw in so the safety can not be pushed to the safe position. That is how I fixed mine, but I am cheap and don't care for the saddle ring.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I put the o ring on mine too. It makes it all but impossible to engage the safety, it only takes about 15 seconds to install, and the cost is a few cents.

I like the look of the saddle ring, but I was afraid it would make noise clanging against the receiver and scratch it.

·
Registered
549 Posts
There's an easy cure to any scuffing or noise worry's from having a saddle ring on your favorite rifle, just tie on a short piece of leather cord onto the ring itself. I plan on hanging a 17 segment rattlesnake rattle from one of mine. ;D

·
Registered
1 Posts
I pulled the stock and adjusted the set screw all the way in, worked like a charm, took 2 minutes and cost nothing. I like the look of the saddle-ring well enough, but I have to stop spending money somewhere, the accessories now cost more than the original gun :).

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
You guys really don't care about a couple of character marks on a gun designed to be a hard working hammer? ;) The saddle ring safety delete was a great idea and although mine does have some wear from carry it certainly beats the look of the original (useless) safety. If it's a "safe queen" than OK but why even delete the safety at all...c'mon now, guns are designed to be carried and used! I love mine! Now get shooting!

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Guys,
I wanted to order a saddle ring safety delete for my 1894SS but they seem to be out of stock at beartooth for stainless. Do we have any other options?

·
Registered
72 Posts
mattusmc said:
Guys,
I wanted to order a saddle ring safety delete for my 1894SS but they seem to be out of stock at beartooth for stainless. Do we have any other options?
Well put COR, of all guns, this is a working hammer for sure, and the saddle ring looks great on it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts