Marlin Firearms Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Banned
862 Posts
As a newbie to the forum, but not levers, and a southpaw I find the crossbolt saftey to be useless.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Have two with and one without. I'd like to see Marlin wise up and go with the tang safety like Winchester did. I can say I don't like the cross bolt safety.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
topfueler1 said:
Have two with and one without. I'd like to see Marlin wise up and go with the tang safety like Winchester did. I can say I don't like the cross bolt safety.
I have to agree.......if you HAVE to have one, the tang is the place for it.......very hard to accidently nudge and thumb is in a very natural position to check it.

·
Banned
1,702 Posts
tubbythetuba said:
topfueler1 said:
I have to agree.......if you HAVE to have one, the tang is the place for it.......very hard to accidently nudge and thumb is in a very natural position to check it.
I have 3 at this time, one with and it makes no difference to me. Had 6 at on time 3 of each. Never have like tang safeties, biggest thing I hate about my shotguns. A cross bolt is much more positive than a tang anyway.

·
Registered
134 Posts
hmm,

this pole hit a nerve!

my 2 cents. i only use it when unloading. i really like it then, cause on the off chance i get fat finger, no harm. when i load the gun, i take check the cross bolt, and make sure its off.

Birdman

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
All the guns I grew up with were hammer guns, Daisy BB Model 94 type, Steven single shot .410, Rossi gallery .22, Marlin 336, Winchester 37A, Rossi Coach Gun, Ithaca .22 lever and more. I never saw the need for a CBS. If the CBS is 'ON' on my Cowboy, it was put there inadvertantly. A safety if for carrying a cocked weapon (bolt rifles, automatics). I do not carry a hammer gun with the hammer back. They are not necessary or asthetic.

Papalote

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Ok, OK, this is a little late. :oops: But, Nanook, what do Harley riders have to do with anything? :?

N

·
0 Posts
luisyamaha said:
Ok, OK, this is a little late. :oops: But, Nanook, what do Harley riders have to do with anything? :?
They ride Harleys and would not use, nor have need for a cross-bolt safety.

This safety is reserved for rice burners . . .

·
Banned
1,702 Posts
Nanook 450 said:
luisyamaha said:
They ride Harleys and would not use, nor have need for a cross-bolt safety.

This safety is reserved for rice burners . . .
Do you know how to tell if a guy is a Harley rider?

If he has a pickup or a trailer!

Do you how to tell if a guy is a Harley rider and has a brother who rides on too?

He as a pickup and a trailer!

N

·
0 Posts
I used to love my Kawasaki 1000 LTD . . . back then, you had to be a mechanic to ride a Harley, or rich. Now, seems the new ones are more dependable - I don't know.

I hate cross bolt safeties. I do not hate people that need them. If you shoot, we are brothers. But brothers disagree - think how boring the world would be if we all got along?

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
They say the difference between a Harley and a Hoover is the position of the dirtbag :p

·
Registered
8,077 Posts
I really don't see the "stink" on the cross-bolt.It is there and if you don't like it it is easy to fix from a short journey to the hardware store.Pick it out."O" ring or "C" clip..No biggie.Marlin must have done it for a reason wether I or you agree but it is senseless to complain about something you can't do anything about.

"Just Fix It" if you don't like it..

Jayco

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Why would a Harley need, or have, a cross bolt safety? :lol:

If we followed Harley's lead we would all still be shooting black powder 45-70's in trap door Springfields. Oooops, maybe we are!

41 - 54 of 54 Posts