Marlin Firearms Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Tried to vote without selecting an answer, but that didn't work.

The fact is , I don't care one way or another. The crossbolt on my .45-70 cost me the best buck I ever dropped a hammer on, but I like the crossbolt when unloading.

No crossbolt on my Marlin 375 or Browning B92, but have one on the 1895.

Wouldn't change any of them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My original 39A dated back to before WWII and did my original 336 .30-30 and .35 both were from the time period before Ralph Nader changed every facet of our lives. All were stolen in the mid-nineties and have been replaced with the newer model and, in addition, an 1894 .44 Mag.

I prefer not having one since the guns I grew up with didn't have them. In fact, I will probably get the kit and remove them from all three of my Marlins. I don't happen to like the rebounding hammer, either. Doesn't look natural to me.

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
Hello Riflemen: Mixed bag for me. During hunting season I tape the thing off. When I'm done the tape comes off. I have dropped the hammer on the saftey at the range so I don't contend with it in the woods. Around here there just is not enough time for my brain to process that extra step when it's time to be shooting. Life is good, BestLever

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Wish there was a way to block/unblock easily.....I like it on for unloading but would prefer to not use it otherwise.

·
Registered
25,054 Posts
Tubby.. the o ring is the easiest if you decide to do something.

·
Super Moderator
12,095 Posts
Dr. A said:
Does not bother me at all. I use it to shuck my shells. Otherwise, it is a non-entity. Had a guy I knew that would carry the hammer cocked all the time hunting (and one in the chamber), and used the safety. His argument was that is just what we are doing with a one in the chamber in a bolt gun with the safety on. He is right.

Dunno bout that. You squeeze the trigger on a bolt gun with the saftey on & nothing happens. That marlin the hammer drops. Cant fire I suppose but what if the saftey got pushed off somehow? Bolt guns have always made me a bit uneasy for just that reason, I know theres a striker in there waiting to fall. Lever gun at half cock cant go off unless its dropped in a pretty specifc way. I like Brownings idea on the BLR 81. its got a short pin so if you lower the hammer on it it cant contact the primer. I still use half cock as thats what I'm acustomed to but they recomend putting the hammer down.

N

·
0 Posts
luisyamaha said:
Doesn't bother me one whit! :? My two Marlins have it, my Winchester does not. :eek: If you can't keep track of wether you put the safety on or not, maybe you should consider not having a loaded rifle in your hands. :x
I bet all the Harley riders would agree . . . 8)

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Nanook 450 said:
luisyamaha said:
Doesn't bother me one whit! :? My two Marlins have it, my Winchester does not. :eek: If you can't keep track of wether you put the safety on or not, maybe you should consider not having a loaded rifle in your hands. :x
I'll tell ya this: The damn CB safety is the ONLY saftey I've ever run across that somehow, strangly, changes from where you left it a couple minuets ago. It's just too easy to move, so I really don't buy that "keep track of it" stuff. It is why you should keep track of where it's pointed...THAT'S the safety.

·
Banned
1,702 Posts
tubbythetuba said:
Nanook 450 said:
luisyamaha said:
I'll tell ya this: The damn CB safety is the ONLY saftey I've ever run across that somehow, strangly, changes from where you left it a couple minuets ago. It's just too easy to move, so I really don't buy that "keep track of it" stuff. It is why you should keep track of where it's pointed...THAT'S the safety.
TTT; You should always carry with the Cross Bolt on and hammer at full cock. Then habit will teach you to flip the Cross bolt to the fire position everytime you go to shoot. Then it will be off when the hammer drops. When I started carrying 1911's for personnal defense the safety was a pain to learn to flip off. I learned it less than two weeks. The military didn't allow one in the pipe so the safety was left off and you had to jack the slide. Made for fast draw but a very slow shot; very stupid way for a soldier to carry a weapon.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I like having it on the gun, though I don't use it in hunting situations. I'd have preferred a third option on the poll: don't care one way ot the other.

·
Registered
223 Posts
It is a nice extra measure for unloading, but generally I don't use it when hunting. When my GG is carried on horseback or in the truck (or I'm in camp) it's got an empty chamber and rounds in the magazine only - safety is OFF and hammer down so all that is required to get it into action is work the lever and fire. When I'm hunting I carry it 4+1 and it's at half-cock with safety off generally, but I'm constantly checking the position of the hammer and safety as a matter of subconscious conditioning now, so it is unlikely either will be moved from it's proper place without my being aware of it.

L

·
0 Posts
I removed mine funny how none of my old levers needed them.....thats what the half cock is for.....
I also dont use all them damnd bycyle locks that all the guns include now!

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Sorry, Bear.....I don't want to learn that new trick. I'll carry at half cock...it's the way I've always done it and don't see any reason to change now. I just have to check that puppy before shooting or block it. If I had to have a safety, I'd prefer to have it on top or the tang. A safety on a hammer gun is the DUMBEST frickken thing I've ever heard of :evil:

·
Banned
2,406 Posts
Agreed Tubby,for over 150 years we lived with out it and always knew what to do with out another Gizmo that is as worthless as Mammaries on a Boar Hog.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Close poll!

I voted for the safety, because I feel extra safety measures can help, though they do add an extra step.

I only hope it has actually saved someone from an accident. It seems when there is a gun that goes off accidentally and someone gets hurt, we end up with a new anti gun LAW :!:

·
Banned
1,702 Posts
tubbythetuba said:
Sorry, Bear.....I don't want to learn that new trick. I'll carry at half cock...it's the way I've always done it and don't see any reason to change now. I just have to check that puppy before shooting or block it. If I had to have a safety, I'd prefer to have it on top or the tang. A safety on a hammer gun is the DUMBEST frickken thing I've ever heard of :evil:
So carry half cocked (you normally are anyway :wink: ) and with the cross bolt on, double safe that way and if you thumb should slip off the hammer while going to full cock, no bang. Then push cross bolt off and you are ready to go. It's easy just push it. Not liking the cross bolt is not liking anti-skid or automatic transmissions. BTW, I had my hands on a Marlin 336 once that the half cock was worn so badly that if you thumped the butt on the ground the hammer would fall.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Yes, Tubby, we agree the best safety is between the ears. My comment on the "keeping track of... " was mostly addressed to the people that claimed to not like it because, having put the rifle on "safe" then forgot about it at the time of shooting and lost their quarry. It was not meant as "I remember the rifle is on "safe", so I can be a complete jackass and dis-regard every other safety rule." type of thing. It is not that big a deal. Easier to do than the proper cheek weld, not canting the rifle, squeezing the trigger, putting a round in the chamber in the first place, etc.. And we all learned all of those, didn't we?

·
Super Moderator
12,095 Posts
Gun wont discharge if your thumb slips going to full cock either, the half cock will catch it, unless your holding the trigger back that is & one ought not do that in any case. The half cock can wear I guess but so can any saftey & most non hammer guns if you drop it & the saftey lets go the gun goes bang (Cuz it was cocked) drop your marlins hammer from half cock & it wont go bang cuz it's not cocked back far enough. Yes I'v tried it. :D
Probably oughta call it 1/8 cock as its nowhere near half way back.

N

·
0 Posts
Bear 45/70 said:
tubbythetuba said:
Nanook 450 said:
luisyamaha said:
TTT; You should always carry with the Cross Bolt on and hammer at full cock. Then habit will teach you to flip the Cross bolt to the fire position everytime you go to shoot. Then it will be off when the hammer drops. When I started carrying 1911's for personnal defense the safety was a pain to learn to flip off. I learned it less than two weeks. The military didn't allow one in the pipe so the safety was left off and you had to jack the slide. Made for fast draw but a very slow shot; very stupid way for a soldier to carry a weapon.
And your 1911 frame of reference contemplates a third safety, the grip safety. . .

Just learn to unload through the gate old Tubb . . .

To each his own, but using a 1911 pistol for a frame of reference for a lever gun does not seem - just do the math.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts