Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
8,077 Posts
Well I'm going to be in the minority here but the safety was put on for a reason.Is it the perfect set up?Who know's but it does work but you have to remember it's on if your useing it.I personally do not use it but my son does which has caused me a click when changing Rifles with him on a target but who's fault was that?

Mine................

Take care..........Jayco

·
Super Moderator
7,932 Posts
It has posed no problem at all................we really didn't need them though.................................................................................Marko

N

·
0 Posts
As a child, I learned my Dad's 30-30 Marlin, without the cross bolt - as a Man, I just don't need a redundant safety.

·
Banned
1,702 Posts
The addition of the cross bolt to shooting the rifle is no different than changing from a three speed to a four speed. Just use it and it becomes second nature. When at the range I will always flip it on when reloading so that it becomes second nature to flip it off when it's time to shoot. Besides it makes it a bunch safer to carry the 1895 on full cock with a full cylinder.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
It hasn't cost me a shot at game. I dropped the hammer on the cross bolt safety one day shooting at the range. I don't remember just how I accidently engaged the safety.

Anyway, my 450 now wears an "o" ring, and the cross bolt safety no longer accidently engages.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I can't express how much I hate the crossbolt safety, warnings, rebounging hammers and tang safetys. They were totaly unneeded for over 100 years and I don't need them now.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Like I tell my wife when she get a new doo. I have no opinion on that. I don't use it. It's always off. I also found that instead of removal or machining, you can just put it in the off position and install a small C-clip. If that's too ugly for you, a less positive solution is a rubber o-ring. Fits the little groove on the O.D., and keeps you from causually pushing it in.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Most guns have some some defects. Marlin let some idiot program their computers so that an unneeded hole shows up in the receiver. Rather than reprogram the computer they then just put a metal plug through it. How dumb is that? To top it off the guy who assembles that part doesn't even tighten the screw adequately. It's kind of like dumb and dumber and even dumber - where does it end? (I'm sure someone will design something to top these examples.)

And you still wonder how I voted?

·
Registered
356 Posts
I don't have any cross-bolt safeties, though I would probably not choose to use one if I did.

I think the o-ring is a good idea, I don't ever think I would opt for the removal of one.

·
Registered
356 Posts
OOPS - doubled!

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
I don't like or dislike the crossbolt safety because I don't have to deal with it. If I buy another Marlin that has one, I know I am gonna dislike it.

·
Super Moderator
12,095 Posts
My Guide gun is the only lever action I have that had one. I say had cuz I put in the replacement part from Long hunters shooter supplies.

I had a Win 94 & that IMO needed it as they did away with half cock.

Never saw the need to carry a lever gun at full cock with a round in the chamber like someone mentioned but if thats the way one wants to carry their rifle then its needed for sure.

·
Registered
688 Posts
K.I.S.S. it ain't. Don't like it, won't like it, won't have it.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Doesn't bother me one whit! :? My two Marlins have it, my Winchester does not. :eek: If you can't keep track of wether you put the safety on or not, maybe you should consider not having a loaded rifle in your hands. :x

·
Registered
8,077 Posts
luisyamaha said:
Doesn't bother me one whit! :? My two Marlins have it, my Winchester does not. :eek: If you can't keep track of wether you put the safety on or not, maybe you should consider not having a loaded rifle in your hands. :x
Luis-Being a Yamaha Fan like yourself....Well said.Maybe now you should switch to "Dirt Bikes".I know better. :lol:

Jayco

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
Does not bother me at all. I use it to shuck my shells. Otherwise, it is a non-entity. Had a guy I knew that would carry the hammer cocked all the time hunting (and one in the chamber), and used the safety. His argument was that is just what we are doing with a one in the chamber in a bolt gun with the safety on. He is right.

S

·
0 Posts
I only got into lever action rifles a few years ago when the NRA started Cowboy Silhouette. Most of my lever guns have a cross bolt safety and I don't mind them one bit. When I hunt with one, I always use the safe and it has caused me no problems.

B

·
0 Posts
Well, I use it and I'm getting pretty well used to it, but when I first went to the Marlins, my only experience was with 94s which had none.
I suppose its like anything else, you just get used to that as the norm. :wink:

1 - 20 of 54 Posts