Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well ever since I was a small kid, I was lucky to have lived where there were wild critters, and I was always fascinated by them, I can remember as a kid always trying to sneak up on them, and it was always a goal to try to touch them
and by the time I was about 15, I don't think there was a an animal species that I did sneak up on and touch
from bears,
and YUP I was that dumb kid that crawled into a bear's den to touch a bear
then had to bring friends back cause they didn't believe me LOL

so as I grew up I never got tried of being about critters
I never tried to make pets out of any of them
BUT will admit I had a few that kinda sure seemed they wanted to be my pet, and I guess I fed a few more often than others
which brings me to this post
has anyone else, some what adopted any wild critters
I don't mean bring them into your home and make pets out of them
Just have any wild critters kinda stuck about you, your home or?? more than others

being I live with critters in my yard all the time, I get in contact with them all the time
I like to watch them too
I run bird feeders all yr, and that draws in all sorts of animals
and in hard winters I add corn to a feeder too

BUT over the yrs, I have just had wild animals, come up to me, and I have given some a hand out or two

here is a Skunk, that I think thought it was a dog
I named it "nuts"
as it loved peanuts
it was never scared of my dog either, and Thankfully, never an issue there
but I could be sitting on my deck and it would just walk up to me and sit down, all started like that one summer, was sitting on the deck drinking a beer or two and had some peanuts
so I gave it a peanut since it was only about 10 ft from me, and it kept coming closer
my dog wouldn't even wake up most times, so, I never worried, it didn';t look sick either
so for about 3 yrs this skunk would come and visit me when ever it seen me on my deck!
then, I think an Owl got it?? it never came back

I was never one much for taking pic's, but do have this one

so if anyone else has any stories about wild critters
feel free to share
I will add a couple more too, you might enjoy!

Attachments

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK< here are two more critters I some what adopted
the cat was first, he was a stray, that used to always try to buddy up with my dog when we were outside, they became friends, and as time went on, the cat became more of a part of the family, he lived outside on my back porch, and again, I think this cat thought he was part dog, as he never chased r tried to catch a thing, birds, rabbits squirrels, it could care less about them followed me and my dog about like a shadow

well it used to sleep on this one chair I had for it
and again sine I was always feeding birds, I always have a LOT of squirrels about
and I tend to both eat and feed peanuts at times to some of the critters, the kids love feeding them too, cause they can throw then, and some birds will catch them in mid air!

well, this one squirrel was extra friendly( I must have slightly lazy pets) as none of them would ever chase it the cat the dog?? could care less about squirrels
and I had 3-4 cats at this point in time too
THEM< however, they liked to chase things if they got close enough!
well, this squirrel, got named "Hoover" cause he sucked up peanuts like a vacuum cleaner, named by the kids
BUT NOW this squirrel would come when it was called, from 200+ ft away, on a dead run
THEN it either got smart/brave or lazy
BUT this squirrel started to buddy up with the one cat and the dog LOL
HE would snuggle up with the at, and the two of them used to sleep together on a chair
was funny as crap watching a cat and squirrel dead sleep, and having dreams, of them running , little legs a going like mad, and then one would wake the other, and get a dirty look LOL
well this went on for about a yr or more, then , one day, squirrel tried to snuggle up with the wrong cat, and well, NO more MR Hoover !
and again, not many pic's but have these two to share
looking back now I wish I took more pic;s of things!

113.JPG 112.JPG

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
here is a small woodchuck that one day wanted to start a fight with me and my dog, seems it had this big leafy green in its mouth, and must have thought we wanted it
darn thing chased my dog in a big circle, till he ran behind me, and I was getting ready to punt the little bugger
as you'd be surprised how much noise and growling they can make
he was lucky my dog wasn't a fighter, as the dog was 86 lbs, and it was maybe 10 lbs
made me laugh a bunch when I seen my dog running away from it, and then all the better when it ran behind me, with it chasing after it, like, I had to do something to save the BIG dog from the little woodchuck LOL

buster 330.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SOrry all the pic's showed up in the foirst post, and I canot figure out how to remove them
SO??
hope you follow what I meant with them and enjoy en as well!

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
That's pretty cool. Poor Mr Hoover though...

-Bob George

·
Super Moderator
8,054 Posts
a month ago I was bushwahcking around the farm and scouting for critters. I found a couple of Does that wandered close and then went over and layed down in the grass about 30 yds away from me. I got bored so decided to shoot some of the sub sonic 45-70 loads I had carried with me and proceeded to shoot 10-15 rounds. the deer sat right where they were and just kept an eye on me. fast forward i was walking back to the cabin through the bushwacked trail and heard something following me through the woods. I quitely backed off the trail and stood next to a big pine tree and waited......those two does were tracking me and walking with thier nose to the ground like a dog, they stopped about 10 ft from me and just stared at me ears a twitching. I stood still long enough for them to keep walking down the trail and out of site. I then quickly exited the woods and made my way back tot the cabin. it was a very strange wildlife encounter as I had never been stalked by deer!!!!!!

I just hope they feel comfortable enough around me come fall to bring back their boyfriends......................

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
a month ago I was bushwahcking around the farm and scouting for critters. I found a couple of Does that wandered close and then went over and layed down in the grass about 30 yds away from me. I got bored so decided to shoot some of the sub sonic 45-70 loads I had carried with me and proceeded to shoot 10-15 rounds. the deer sat right where they were and just kept an eye on me. fast forward i was walking back to the cabin through the bushwacked trail and heard something following me through the woods. I quitely backed off the trail and stood next to a big pine tree and waited......those two does were tracking me and walking with thier nose to the ground like a dog, they stopped about 10 ft from me and just stared at me ears a twitching. I stood still long enough for them to keep walking down the trail and out of site. I then quickly exited the woods and made my way back tot the cabin. it was a very strange wildlife encounter as I had never been stalked by deer!!!!!!

I just hope they feel comfortable enough around me come fall to bring back their boyfriends......................
HAHAHA
this time of yr, odds are pretty good they had a fawn or two near by, which might be why theu didn't run and they back trailed you to make sure you left the area
I have had that happen a couple times over the yrs
once many many yrs back, I had a Doe that used to follow me on a mini bike I had, she would run and follow me for about 15-30 minutes at a time will I slowly drove about the woods
after a few times of this, I used to stop and watch her, Heck I used to talk to her LOL
she would be only about 10-12 ft away from me??
she had a BIG scar from where I guess a bullet went thur her front shoulder(now thinking back, that would be where I aim to shoot a deer, how she lived????) and out the other side, big scar on both sides, right in the boiler room ?
she didn't limp at all, but it was a nasty scar
and this was a very heavly hunted area
I seen that doe for two yrs always in the same area, almost every time I went there!
and every time she seen me on that mini bike, she would run up close to me??
Till to today, I have NO idea why, but being 9 yrs old or so, it was cool to me!
it also stirred up my interest more in wildlife, maybe why I got so involved in it over the yrs, all the encouters I had!

·
Premium Member
1,826 Posts
Here’s a strange critter tale that just happened yesterday. I had seen a cottontail jump into some monkey grass my wife has around a tree about 40 feet from the garage several times and had suspected that she was nesting there, but never bothered to check it out.
Yesterday I was working on some leather at my desk which has a view of the front yard. A sudden movement caught my peripheral vision and I looked up just in time to see the rabbit come flying out of the knee high monkey grass. It landed, spun around and went into high attention mode and returned to the same spot. It was acting so weird that I pulled out my video camera and started filming. The rabbit kept darting in the grass and immediately jumping very high out of the grass. After a couple more jumps I saw three young bunnies hightail it from the grass to higher ground, but the grown rabbit kept up its action. About the time I remembered having seen a YouTube of a rabbit attacking a snake, the rabbit lunged forward and when it jerked back, a 5-6’ water snake (I live on a lake) followed it out of the grass. It misses on the first strike, but makes one final strike and caught the rabbit on the left rear leg and clamped on. I have a video of this rabbit running all over the yard jumping and kicking trying to knock the snake lose, but the video is PG rated or stronger based on me not realizing that I was also recording my commentary. The rabbit got free and seems no worse for the wear after a day. I've seen her moving around the yard a couple of times this morning. I took my little Iver Johnson with rat shot out and tried to find the stinking water snake to eradicate it, but he must have had all the excitement he could stand for one day.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I once watched a Great Blue Heron catch a 16+ inch large mouth bass, and that darn bird for a half hr, tried every which way to swallow it, from head first to tail first, to soaking it in the water getting it wet
it would get it about half way in and just wouldn't go no further
I video'd it also, but due to me also cursing some and laughing, and that was back in the days of VHS tapes LOL
no way to share it IF I could find it
after a while that bird just flew away
felt bad, a waste of a nise bass
but I gather some other critter would get a free mela from it LOL

·
Registered
8,266 Posts
Was fishing one day and saw a squirrel run out on a log in the water and when he got to the end of the log there was a huge splash and the a big bass caught the squirrel. A few seconds went by and I heard another splash and when I looked over it was the bass putting another acorn on the end of the log.ha

·
Premium Member
1,826 Posts
Thought I would come back and put a screen grab of the snake and the rabbit. The quality is not great since it's just a single frame from the video.
20secondslater.jpg

Reactions: erimort

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
where I hunt a lot here in PA< I have a trestand next to a stream, on one side of me, and a farm pond behind me( a great pinch point )and over the yrs I have seen a lot of things
I must have seen about a dozen squirrels that fell out of the tree's trying to jump acrss the tree's to cross the stream, some times they fell from 50+ ft up, a big splash and then a swimming squirrel LOL
on the pond, there is a bunch of pickerel and bass, and I have seen them eat young ducks in the summer time, and go after bigger one's in the fall
so fish can be very agressive
I have also seen snapper turtle's eat ducks and even geese off the pond
they come up from under them and grab them by there feet and pull them under
its amazing how clean a turtle picks clean a goose
when there done eating, the bones are clean down to white, they suck the blood right off the bones
almost looks like they been bleached !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts