Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys-

I will be reloading for a mil-surp bolt action in .308, and would like to keep things on the mild side pressure wise. I hope to end up with a reasonable hunting load.

Should I be crimping for hunting loads? I get the impression a crimp isn't all that necessary for a bolt gun. I'd be interested in hearing any comments regarding crimping and pressure... TIA

I've got a ways to go yet before arriving at the point where I'm actually shooting my reloads. I have 50 new cases, and trimmed them last night. I still have to decide on bullet and powder yet. My original intent was to start out with cast bullets, but it will be a while before I get that together.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
63 Posts
G'day Doc

I own, reload for & shoot a 308Win/7.62NR bolt-action.

Personally, IMHO crimping is not required as the press fit into the standard resized neck is ample for jacketed projectiles.

I have found H4895 under Sierra 150gr-168gr Matchkings for targets and Gamekings for hunting to be all-round best.

HTH

Mucus

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
I've loaded a lot of 303 brit. and 8mm mauser and never needed a crimp. Some of the big boomers need a crimp, but with the mild recoil of the smaller rounds you will be fine without. As long as your expander ball is the proper size. HYDE

1 - 3 of 3 Posts