Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all not sure if this has ever came up here before or not but here we go. A buddy of mine is trying to crimp his 243 wins he is using a rcbs press and and a lee full LT die set what happens is when he tries to seat the bullet it will not seat and this is with the crimping die screwed all the way down in the press the press at full travel as far as it will go ??? it seems like the die is not long enough or maybe? or he may need to use a rcbs die set? not sure. any suggestions appreciated. thanks in advance .DCH ???

·
Premium Member
7,698 Posts
Is he adjusting the bullet seater screw? is there one in the die? You dont adjust the bullet seating depth with the die body.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry gatorskinner i screwed up in my post :p what i ment to say is when he trys to crimp the bullet not seat it. my bad :p :-[

·
Premium Member
12,568 Posts
I still don't understand what you are saying. Is he trying to crimp a bullet without a cammelure? I really don't think you need to crimp a 243 bullet.

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
Halwg said:
I still don't understand what you are saying. Is he trying to crimp a bullet without a cammelure? I really don't think you need to crimp a 243 bullet.
I shot a .243 for a lot of years as my coyote rifle and I never crimped one of 'em with a crimp die. I used RCBS dies for that caliber.

bjm

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
he is using a lee crimping die and from what i saw he has the crimp die screwed down in the press as far as it will go and with the press at full stroke the bullet still wont crimp. not sure why he insists they should be crimped ??? I reload for my 270 and i have never used a crimp die and have never had any issues with them.

·
Premium Member
7,698 Posts
Look down into the die as you run the case into it. You should be able to see the collett close on the mouth of the case.

If all else fails read the instructions that came with the die. ;D

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
If he is using the die correctly, it is the wrong die!!

Tell him to look at the die and see what it says on it.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
It sounds like the press has been operated without a case in the die. If so the collet fingers are probably sqeezed shut with so much force that they're sprung. The only way to fix it is to take the die apart, clean it, and open the collet fingers back up. The collet style crimping dies should never be operated without a case, and they don't get "screwed all the way in". It's important to read and understand the instructions that came with the dies. If you don't have them, you can download them for free from Lee.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to all here for their in put on this subject and i think swany nailed it ;D switched crimping die out for another crimp die and now its crimping.thanks again swany. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts