Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like I will be going with the RCBS CB dies for my Marlin 38-55. Is anyone using their Legacy Series 38-55 dies or know the difference between them? I am not a fan of roll crimping cast bullets and use the LEE factory crimp die on everything else. I am looking for accuracy at the 200 Meter Ram line. I have yet to slug the barrel to figure out what bullet molds I will buy. I do have Starline brass. Any input or suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks, Hal

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey there Hal -- I highly recommend the Cowboy dies but use the Legacy dies. I have had no issues with the roll crimp feature. Even on the longish cartridge pictured, there were no issues. It's been working for me even beyond 200 yards. Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks ... I bought the RCBS Cowboy dies for my 25-20... But was not impressed... seems like a Marketing gimmick to me. I now have 3 sets of 25-20 dies. I see you are going the distance with your 38-55... Looks like a heavy bullet.... what bullet molds have you tried?

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey again Hal -- That one is actually the "little guy". A 240 grainer sized .380" by Laser-Cast. I don't cast any more. Wet Dog has been providing some great 250 grainers from his Lee mold on our journey. No gas checks and pan lubed. I have evolved into commercially cast bullets in .380" and .381". I use the Laser-Cast 240's as a general purpose round and I'm still working on a "heavy". Most of those have a Lyman ancestry. Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind

·
Registered
8 Posts
You need to slug your barrel, my Marlin in 38-55 came out .375, exactly as my Model 375 is, makes me wonder if Marlin is using the same barrel for both at one time. My neighbor has build a 375 using a 38-55 barrel from Marlin and gained 4 more inches of barrel length. The brass for 38-55 is not as strong as is 375 brass but have used both in either gun with no problems. Last yr MidwayUSA had a lot of 375 brass and I purchased 500 of both and now keep them seperate. I shoot only paper patched bullets in the 38-55 and works great. Get the book "paper patch bullets" author Paul ?, more info than you can ever use and soon you will understand how deadly these bullets are on game. If I remember right Paco did a lot of testing with the 375 a while back and a search on internet will locate his work. Also Ken Waters did a lot of work on the 375, and althought did not use AA1680, I have used his loads with H335 with great success

1 - 5 of 5 Posts