Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw midway has a precision gun works crescent stock and butttplate. Anyone done this to theirs? I really like the looks of this. Was going to do a straight stock conversion but I like the looks of this better. Maybe even do a 1/2 mag tube conversion. Will the forend cap work on the original forearm with some fitting or do I need a new forearm as well

·
Registered
661 Posts
100_0286.JPG I used a PGW stock and buttplate on my 336. Inletting took 4 or 5 hours spread over a week or so. First attempt at stock fitting so lots of head scratching and looking for better tools.
Still have to glass bed it and finish the stock. Look at the Treebone Stocks website for a very good tutorial.

Reactions: bbri4570

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
35 rem. that's what I want to do right there. Can't decide on the 1/2 mag tube. I think it would look sweet.

·
Registered
990 Posts
working on it.. lots of sanding to do.. any takers??? :biggrin:

View attachment 112402
Just a question, I have thought about this modification also. I think it looks great. So, how much sanding and fitting is involved? I have limited wood working skills. I can sand and stain, but how much fitting or inletting work is involved in getting the riffle to fit back together?

·
Registered
97 Posts
A fore-end cap can be fitted to a fore-end with a barrel band or a cap , whichever you have. If you have one with a barrel band it will take some judicious wood removal to fit a cap. Try the fit often as you go , it is easy to take too much wood. A consideration when using and old forearm with a new butt stock or the other way around is whether the wood and color will match acceptably.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Depends a little on which model you are converting. A vintage 336A or SC and a few others already has the tenon dovetail cut in the barrel for the fore end, a barrel band rifle will need this new dovetail cut and associated parts. The crescent butt plate has a reputation for punishing recoil. This is because many people shoot the rifle in the shoulder pocket like a regular shot gun style butt plate. The crescent butt plate is designed or shaped to fit further out towards the armpit, where the crescent shape fits the natural contour of the body. Not certain, but think its intended to be an aid when shooting off horseback, allowing the rifle crescent butt to be tucked almost wrapped around the arm/shoulder joint hence stabilized, rather bouncing off the shoulder as a shotgun style butt will. Whatever, certainly looks classy.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
ghostrider1,

this is ny first post here and appropriately it's about my 336 project. I got one of the pgw stocks in the pistol grip configuration and it took about 4 hours of fitting to the action. the butt plate also took about 4 hours before I was satisfied . shooting off the bench is not recommended . as above poster said the crescent fits differently. I got ahead of my self and tru oiled the stock without any stain as the blank was pretty dark and I thought it would be good. turned out way lighter than I like so back to the drawing board for me. if you get one of these stocks follow the advice that comes with it .
file a little, then check fit, file a LITTLE, repeat.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
They're nice looking for sure. I had a 1979 model 1895 with the crescent BP. With heavy loads, it was PAINFUL to shoot.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Just a question, I have thought about this modification also. I think it looks great. So, how much sanding and fitting is involved? I have limited wood working skills. I can sand and stain, but how much fitting or inletting work is involved in getting the riffle to fit back together?
well.. mine is a '48 model which has a lot of detail along the tangs.. Doesn't help that I got them ROUGH CUT either. There is quite a bit of work, but heck, we all have time too.. Just to let you know, if you dont have that plate, snug in your shoulder, it DOES hurt.. :biggrin:

·
Registered
969 Posts
I have an 1894 CB Limited in .357 Mag with a crescent butt plate. Frankly, it is painful to shoot. Supposedly the butt is positioned against the upper arm to the outside of the joint. For me, that is not a natural shooting position. So I bought a small Limb Saver removable rubber pad and had to severely modify the internals to get a "poor" fit for the highly curved butt plate. It helped so-so because the extended pull length became a problem. But..... and this is a BIG BUT, the crescent butt plate sure looks good! :biggrin:

1894 Buttstock 1.JPG

Reactions: GaCop

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
ghostrider 1. They look so cool ya just want to do it. But as many have warned the crescent but plate will increase felt recoil tremendously. I had a little Rossi with a standard metal butt plate. It shot wonderfully with very little recoil. It was a 44 mag. Then I just had to have another one so I bought a 44 with the crescent butt plate and a 24 inch octagon barrel. Man that was one pretty rifle. The truth is that stock would bite you like shooting a much bigger caliber. It was just awful to shoot, and trying to shoot off a bench was worse. I sold it. I once helped a friend sight in one of his muzzle loader's with the same stock design. It was a 50 cal., loaded with 80 grains of bp. I shot it from the bench and almost layed down with it. I didn't realize the point of the stock center my shoulder. It hurst quite a bit. Latter while at the house drinking a few beer's when our shooting was done. I set my beer down on the table and walked away. I came back a few minutes latter and tried to pick it back up with me right hand. Nothing worked. It felt like was shoulder was out of socket. I had a protrusion the size of a solft ball dead center of my shoulder. I wound up going to the hospital for x-rays. I literally thought my shoulder was out of socket. Nope just trauma. Man did my buddies joke me about that one. The one who took me to the hospital delebriatley hit every bump in the road there. Almost 30 miles. He laughed at me so much.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
the crescent does transfer felt recoil more no doubt. I can't shoot my 336 off the bench. helps to snug it way out on the shoulder. the pistol grip shape seems to be worse for me than the straight. I put a new PGW straight on my rossi 454 and it is fun to shoot.

picture of the 336 project

·
Registered
46 Posts
Crescent buttplates are great for wall guns, but they are punishment for shooting guns. They aren't made for shooting on horseback as the Kentucky long rifles had crescent buttplates and long before that. They were definitely not a horse gun. They sure look great, though.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Amen to the crescent butt not being user friendly. I have owned three Browning/Winchester 1885 single shot .45-70 rifles. The Brownings were a delight to shoot with the shotgun butt. The Winchester was their Traditional Hunter with a curved steel butt plate. It was the most punishing rifle I ever shot and that includes several .375 H&H and a custom .338/378. I cast my ballot with a lot of the old dead guys who ordered their buffalo rifles with shotgun butts. BTW, all three were very accurate. No more for me. Looks good, bad to shoot.

Reactions: GaCop
1 - 18 of 18 Posts