Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend sent me a link to another forum thing is I do not know how to "link"stuff on the computer. But it was about Creepy or odd things you find in the wood's wile hunting.
I can say this I never found a body or a pot plantation.
The strangest or creepiest thing I have found was a horses tail hanging on a tree limb never found the rest of it though. I am thinking a Eagle carried it to that place.
I am bored tonight so let's here your creepy story's

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
We have at least one thread on here about that kind of thing. Don't remember where it is though. Maybe try a search.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I was hunting Buck creek area W. N.C back in the 80s when it was light enough to see I was setting on the edge of a big cut down pot patch. I got up an eased out of there messed up my hunt.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Bones, Really BIG bones. Way to big for anything that lives in the NC woods. If I remember right what looked like a femur was over 2 feet long and 3" thick.
My Dad finally remembered that our neighbor had needed to get rid of an old, stove-up mule and got permission to take it out ans shoot it on his place.
CF

·
Premium Member
28,790 Posts
Whew! I thought CF,had done found that girlfriend, I had to get rid of ;D Boys I think its under (strange things youve incountered) in the woods) are something like that. Gunrunner,,

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DWB said:
Thanks for the link, but I was thinking more like things you find and can prove rather than just bigfoot rumors or story's lol.
My Dad found Airplane parts once wile hunting for Bighorns in the early 70s. In the Crow's Nest Pass area he reported it but it was a known crash.

·
Premium Member
6,278 Posts
I once was turkey hunting alone on a friends property in Hunter NYS. He didn't get along with his neighbor so he and who ever associated with him was assumed not allowed on the neighbor's property. It was a week day no one was around. I was camouflage right to the 12 ga. shell. I walked along the stream a distance from the houses, dress the way I was with trees bushes and hill concealing me on my way. Spring turkey hunts is over at 12: o'clock. On the way back I saw something like a human dress in skin tight bark camouflage from top to bottom in the thick woods on the neighbor's property looking my way. Thinking it was either a friendly hunter or the neighbor. I waved, no reply waved again, no reply, so I started to go closer. The closer I got the more I started thinking it was the neighbor. Waved again nothing move. I got about 20 feet of "IT?" It still looked like a human in camouflage. At this point I decided I really didn't want to know what it was. I just didn't care and wanted to get out of there.

At the car I put my stuff away and thought about it for a while. I thought, it might have been the neighbor trying to lure me to aim my shotgun in his direction and then shoot me with a pistol or some kid playing games. I also thought it might have been a tree that looks human or made to look like one a scarecrow if you will.

Well whatever it was I'll never know because I never went there again. Oh yes I still hunted my friends place for awhile but keep clear of the neighbor's property.

TO NY

·
Registered
581 Posts
Some years ago I was hunting in the Elk Horn Mountains in Montana. I was slipping along looking for bedded elk when I came apon a tree where a bear had marked his territory. The bite mark was as high as I could reach with my hand and the claw marks were as high as I could reach with my rifle. One BIG GRIZ !!!!!
Bill

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Virginian said:
Some years ago I was hunting in the Elk Horn Mountains in Montana. I was slipping along looking for bedded elk when I came apon a tree where a bear had marked his territory. The bite mark was as high as I could reach with my hand and the claw marks were as high as I could reach with my rifle. One BIG GRIZ !!!!!
Bill
That's the kind of story's I am looking for Real animals in Nature. I keep thinking of the first time I took up Bow hunting I went to Zone 410( Canmore just East of Banff) looking too bag me a Big horn. Walking down a game trail I Found some Sheep hair blood and parts, but did find the body of the big horn covered in Grass and sticks just just 25yds away! it was clearly dragged to that spot it was a small ewe but by the amount of ground moved it told me it was not a cougar that covered it up..
Back tracking to get out of that spot I found the tracks of a very big Grizz and a Cougar so I will never know what happened that day did the cat kill the sheep? to lose it to the bear?
I did not go around snooping the area with just my bow but did go back the next weekend to find more big grizz tracks and the sheep was all but gone.
I had too go back that is just me but I was scared and started to sing when I got close to the area.Opening line to G&R Civel Wars lol!
I guess I have had a few creepy thing happen to me wile hunting other than the Horse tail in the tree.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Back in the early 80s, I lived in Chicago and took up the sport of Orienteering. During a meet in a forest preserve south of the city, I came upon a large boulder in a field with grass grown up to knee level. It looked like noone had been there in a long time. On the rock was a bronze plaque with words to the effect of "Buried beneath this spot is the remains of the world's first nuclear reactor, University of Chicago" and the date.

Yup, they dug a hole, dumped it in, and covered it up. I don't know if it's still there or if wiser heads have moved it to a safer location.

·
Premium Member
2,758 Posts
The weirdest things I've seen is little handmade Santeria dolls hanging above a trail or dirt road to keep you from going down it. This is bad juju and common with the drug trade from the South. I was also on a tripod stand in deep South Texas, had gone out a little early to let things settle. The tripod was set in some blackjack oaks and bull mesquites. I had been there a few minutes and heard a soft foot step against a rock in the sandy soil. In seconds I saw a "coyote" (guide) pass about 5-yards in front of and below me, hot on his tail was about 15 men and women. They all passed me at point blank range but never new I was there. In a lifetime of hunting in South Texas, I have had many encounters of this type. They can be pretty weird but in the last decade they all have become dangerous.

·
Super Moderator
19,139 Posts
I knew a liberal that used to run on the logging roads.She carried a revolver rapped in a t-shirt and the bullets in her pocket. survival of the fittest I always say.She had a cougar walk out on the rd one day.... it was beautiful she said..stupid cat I thought.

·
Banned
497 Posts
Lost count of the number of dope gardens I've walked up on. The creepy part is when you find the camp of the gardeners. Have yet to find one occupied - that will probably be the last one I find. A wierd thing I saw by accident while driving was a polynesian style face carved in a stump above the road. Somewhere I have a picture of it

·
Super Moderator
19,139 Posts
HAVE A FRIEND THAT WAS FIGHTING FIRE HE NOTICED A GUY WATCHING HIM WHO HAD A GUN,i BELIEVE HIS GARDEN BURNT AS THE FIRE CREW MOVED OUT.

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
me said:
HAVE A FRIEND THAT WAS FIGHTING FIRE HE NOTICED A GUY WATCHING HIM WHO HAD A GUN,i BELIEVE HIS GARDEN BURNT AS THE FIRE CREW MOVED OUT.
Up-In Smoke! 8) ;D ;D ;D

Reactions: MarlinManCB45/70

·
Premium Member
5,225 Posts
I suppose this isn't that spooky, but was strange in my mind. I bought my farm in 2004. I'd bow hunted and not come close to much. (all my fault). It was the middle of rifle season. I'd put in some time and didn't have squat to show for it. Not even that many sightings. My buddy had even gotten a big buck off the place. December 11th rolls around. I've made my way out just before dusk and saw 3 bucks at the bottom of a field watching the little house in the distance. This is a rental I keep on the place. Something had their attention and I had gotten them at a moment of weakness. I shot my first buck on the place at 419 yards. He was a decent 10 pointer. I gutted him up, and went to get a pully to help load him (pretty large), and found the house had something gonig on inside. One of the kids that had been living there had O/D'd from some meth. This remote location seems to attract druggies, and while the parents no longer did drugs, the kid did. It was his last niight on earth. The animals picked up on the commotion. The parents (who were not there for the event), claim they knew a soul had slipped away. I figure he didn't go quietly. It was a snowy, and very quiet night.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I wasn't hunting at the time, but was out camping with some buddies in High School in the bootheel of New Mexico. We had made camp in a little depression with large rocks and mounds on two sides. In the middle of the night I woke up to the snap of a twig coming from the direction of the trucks and the downhill slope away from our campfire. I lifted up my head just a little and looked towards where one of my buddies had been sleeping thinking he had gotten up to answer the "call of the wild" and saw to my surprise someone I didn't recognize diggin through one of the packs we had brought up. He was trying to be real quiet but he caused a bit of a commotion when a can of pork'n'beans fell out of the pack and rolled down the hill. The guy jumped up and ran down the hill full tilt trying to get away before anyone could get ahold of him. Come to find out ( we called border patrol) his coyote had ditched him and his group of runners trying to cross the border and was looking for some food. One of our trucks had been broken in to as well and the water had been taken out of the back.

I guess we're lucky it wasn't the coyote... We might have been just another group of faces on milk cartons....

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
Back in the late 70s I was deer hunting a little nort of Hudson NY on a friends property and came on a skelton of a huge hog ! The tusk was almost 4 inches long !! I hunted up there for years and didnt think we had wild hogs around ! I had that tusk for years but lost it a while back .

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
Sort of creepy...in the Fall of '73, I was just out of the Army, and spent a month at our deer camp north of Devers,Tx. There were still plenty of "Big Woods" ( never logged) left then. Anyhow, I was hunting about a mile north of camp, in a real thicket, and came up on a palmetto flat. On the edges of the flat, the brush had been pulled over into a kind of "nest". It was about 15 ft wide, 5ft high, and filled with pine straw,etc. I had never seen anything like it. Upon returning to camp, I visited our neighbor's camp ( a retired welder, who hermitted there) and told him what I had seen. He said there had been a freak snow the previous year, and that bears had made that nest! Said it screwed them up and they were going to hibernate! I had thought they were all shot out by then. The Big Thicket, East Texas bears weighed about 150 lbs at their biggest, judging from the old pictures I saw of years before.
I knew hogs made nest of pine straw,etc, but never saw anything like the nest of pulled over brush.etc. I wish I had a camera then!

1 - 20 of 126 Posts