Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, myself and a few friends have a piece of property in S.C. and due to lack of funds for a new tractor, we havent been able to plant like we used to so hunting has been less than stellar for whitetails. We are thinking about putting in alot of sweat equity with chainsaws axes and the like to create habitat for the whitetails like bedding areas and travel lanes.
I am wondering if anyone has any experience in this or just some tip or even open a lively discussion and share ideas on this. anything is appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have heard that clearing out some trees to get some sun to the ground and then fertilizing will make your area a bit tastier than surrounding areas and if you have hardwoods, try fertilizer spikes on certain trees. When the acorns drop the deer supposedly will gravitate to the fertilized trees.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply, we were thinking about cutting some more areas out for some undergrowth to be able to get thick as well has hinge cut some saplings and lay them over to create some thicker areas that already have started to grow up. The problem is it is mainly pine growth with a 15000 acre logging tract behind it, so we are trying to figure out how to get deer to stay on our 70 acres. I have never seen fertilizer spikes, where are those available?
Also have you or anyone you know had any luck with throw and grow seeds? if so any pre-packaged brands or just seeds that have worked well?

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
If you have a four wheeler or a garden tractor...........Just drag an old bed spring around and then through a good clover mix ........almost instant food plot

1 - 4 of 4 Posts