1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:vollkommenauf::vollkommenauf::vollkommenauf:

I don't know what has happened but yesterday I was struck with the "WANTS"

Lord knows I can't let this escalate to the "NEEDS"

Anyone on here have a Model 71 in .348? Hunting Stories? Photos?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I saw one on there that was around $6,000 buy it now.

Wonder if I need to let go my 1959 Model 70 in .300H&H to get one :hmmmm:

·
Registered
496 Posts
I had o have one also,so I made the wife a lil mad and bought one of the new m-71s.I was alittle nervous with " made in Japan " stamped on barrel,but having it in hand it a beautiful rifle.I ave brass,bullets,waiting for my dies and I'll post how she shoots.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have the want to. I think it is the nicest looking lever ever made. I just got to shoot one,a little stiff on the recoil but I still want one. A delx would be nice but hey im not to picky

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Had a winchester, it got stolen, have a browning, can't tell the difference. Either is the slickest feeding lever bar none. whille the .356 WCF and the .338 Marlin can do the same thing ballistically in lighter guns, If u take a model 71 hunting, you'll keep it for life.:beerglass:

·
Registered
25 Posts
I posted this a while back in another thread on this site: Leverguns have always held my interest and I still have several in my safe, Marlins, Savages and Winchesters. Especially one particular Winchester, the Model 71, .348 is a keeper for sure my 1937 standard model was purchased by my Dad the week he returned to Michigan from WW II in Europe in 1945. The rifle was hanging for sale in the Dixie Bar in Mackinaw City, price $100, it went home with Dad and has been in the family since. Over the years it has accounted for many memorable hunts and many Michigan whitetails by Dad, until his passing in 1996 and myself since. Last fall as a tribute to Dad, I took the old Model 71 on a Michigan Elk hunt after drawing a cow tag for the December hunt. I was hunting with my wife, my son, my brother and a few other friends in the Pigeon River State Forest about 65 miles from my home, on the 7th day of the hunt a nice cow elk was taken when a single shot from the .348 Winchester was placed behind the front shoulder at 200 yards. The elk staggered and dropped as is so familiar after hearing the bang – thud from Barnes 250 grain bullet striking home. Another memory was created by the old rifle with Dad smiling down on me, my family and friends and his Winchester model 71. This rifle - cartridge combination gets my vote.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 800x600.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I finally got everything around,hornady 200 gr fp,imr 3031,a new Williams peep , and put'r all together and shot my new m-71.I have to say I'm really impressed with the 348 ,and the new Winchester all together. I was able to get about 1 1/2 in groups at 100 yards off the bags , I shot about a dozen water filled 20 oz. soda bottles with out a miss.The recoil is no where near what I've heard or expected. I'm pretty sure I know who'll be my partner When I go get my Moose { I really hope } in Newfoundland in Oct .If any one has any doubts about the new japan made winnys don't, the only thing I didn't like was the rebounding hammer, I fixed that with a Google search :biggrin: .The wood to metal fit and the metal finish is A +++,I'm a 100% marlin guy but this sure is a nice rifle in an old original slammer, even my ported GG likes it.

·
Premium Member
2,274 Posts
I finally got everything around,hornady 200 gr fp,imr 3031,a new Williams peep , and put'r all together and shot my new m-71.I have to say I'm really impressed with the 348 ,and the new Winchester all together. I was able to get about 1 1/2 in groups at 100 yards off the bags , I shot about a dozen water filled 20 oz. soda bottles with out a miss.The recoil is no where near what I've heard or expected. I'm pretty sure I know who'll be my partner When I go get my Moose { I really hope } in Newfoundland in Oct .If any one has any doubts about the new japan made winnys don't, the only thing I didn't like was the rebounding hammer, I fixed that with a Google search :biggrin: .The wood to metal fit and the metal finish is A +++,I'm a 100% marlin guy but this sure is a nice rifle in an old original slammer, even my ported GG likes it.
Congrats on your new 71.I am also a diehard Marlin guy,but I just had to add a 71 to the stable.A really great rifle.I also use imr3031 with the 200gr and imr4895 with the 250gr barnes.Best of luck.

Reactions: hound-1
1 - 10 of 10 Posts