Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a very small crack in my Talo installed/made stock last nite. Its a pistol grip and the crack looks like the finish cracked but in fact it goes the depth of the wood where the grip meets the action. Maybe a bit of a gap there would've been better that tight? Going to AK for 2 weeks tomorrow so guess I'll be contacting Talo when I get back; we'll see how their customer service is...Matt

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Matt,

Marlin will probably just ship you out a new one!!!

Have a safe trip and goodluck with your stock issue!!!

Keep us posted!!!

·
Contributing Member
11,599 Posts
Matt,

I'm pretty sure Scott is correct and you'll need to go through Remington/Marlin and not Talo. Your gun was not produced and assembled by Talo just for Talo. Marlin did the work.

A tight wood to metal fit in that area is very important and sadly often downplayed by some folks. A slight gap can result in cracks under recoil.

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
Pour the Accraglass to it by either a smith or yourself! Don't wait, do it today! You may even have to have a pin put through the area just for insurance. I had an older 1895 (back in mid-'90's) crack the same way. Marlin replaced it, but it was out of action "all at once", no warning other than the 'slight crack" like yours. If it's not feasible to do the work, at least purchase a Ramline Butstock to take along for a field repair. Too far, too expensive, too much hope int his hunt to take a chance. IMHO :p

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
Yes, the Lams are stronger and won't split like regular wood. DP

1 - 8 of 8 Posts