Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many rounds of high speed .22 ammo did it take to crack a pre-HS Marlin bolt? Did it take hundreds of rounds, or just a couple boxes? I noticed some old high speed loads really went fast and probably had more pressure than todays high velocity loads. Just curious as to how many rounds it took to ruin these rifles.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I don't know, and don't want to find out through personal experience. From the looks of the bolt lock on my No. 20 pump, it would not take very much punishment at all to turn the trick...

I tried shooting CCI's Subsonic 40 gr h.p.'s in it, and got immediate signs of pressure- stiff extraction and slight bulging of the case above the rim. I quit shooting them immediately. This is not a high velocity load, but the over diameter bullet and long bearing surface of the bullet were enough to drive pressure up to a point where the rifle showed signs of trouble.... I would like to think the old Marlin's would give some sign of excessive loading before letting go, but am not at all sure about it. It is much easier to avoid the risk with all the low and standard velocity cartridges that are currently available.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
This is one of those things that can't be easily answered. How many hi velocity loads will it take to break the bolt? Maybe a few, or maybe a few hundred? If we knew, we still couldn't answer that, because these guns are all 75+ years old, and we have no idea how many may have already been fired through them!
I wouldn't push any gun that old to see what it would take. I don't use anything but mild loads in all my old Marlins, regardless of caliber. I'd like to know they're still around long after I'm gone!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't really feel like going out and trying it on one of my old guns either, thats for sure! :D Just wondered though. I have been shooting aguila subsonic HP and target solids, as well as a little Remington target and subsonic stuff. These loads should be OK though, right? The Aguila stuff is pretty mild, about 950 fps if I recall from my chronograph, which is about the slowest of the target stuff I have tried. The Remington subsonic HP and Aguila subsonic HP really do a number on squirrels :) I am always scared of stressing these nice guns, so someone tell me if there is a target ammo that is unsafe in these (besides the CCI subsonics Doc mentioned, which I have never tried thankfully).

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Marlinaholic said:
I don't really feel like going out and trying it on one of my old guns either, thats for sure! :D Just wondered though. I have been shooting aguila subsonic HP and target solids, as well as a little Remington target and subsonic stuff. These loads should be OK though, right? The Aguila stuff is pretty mild, about 950 fps if I recall from my chronograph, which is about the slowest of the target stuff I have tried. The Remington subsonic HP and Aguila subsonic HP really do a number on squirrels :) I am always scared of stressing these nice guns, so someone tell me if there is a target ammo that is unsafe in these (besides the CCI subsonics Doc mentioned, which I have never tried thankfully).
Your Mileage may vary.... My 20 has a relined bore, and I suspect the 'smith cut the chamber with a match reamer. I've had no trouble at all with Rem subsonic in it. I have an 1893 D.O.M. single shot .22 that digests the CCI Subsonic without a problem...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
I think the key is knowing what the velocity of the ammo is. Many manufacturers don't publish their data, and so it may be very safe, or a bit hot. All sub-sonic ammo should be good, and most target ammo, if it is 1,000 fps or less.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts