Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone setup a lever gun just for coyote hunting.
What cal. Did you use / scope etc. Bullet.
Just giveing it some though.
Would you reload for it.
I don't have any big fields to shoot across. I mostly
Try to call them in the open hardwoods or along a tractor roadway.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
My father kept only one centerfire rifle. He tried a few others, but they got gifted to grandsons. He used a .30-30, loaded with 170 CoreLokt as a matter of choice. The place he lived on was a 100 acre stock farm about two miles (less as the crow flies) from town. About five miles from him was the landfill. His place was on the coyote super highway between town and the dump,
so naturally Wylie stopped by to see what young tender animal might be for supper.

Dad probably killed a coyote every 10 days or so for the thirty something years he lived there. Dad was far sighted. He needed glasses to read but not for open sights. Last time I saw him get the Marlin from the corner and pop mr coyote, he was well into his eighties. Shots were usually around a hundred yards, plus or minus 20-30.

I scoped it for him one time. He took it off and went back to open sights.
I suppose the way it came from north Haven made it a coyote rifle
In my hunting life, I have killed a lot more coyotes as a target of opportunity with a hunting caliber than with what I term as my coyote rifle.

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Well once I get my 35Rem shooting right I plan on making that my "varmint" gun for everything hogs and under. Unfortuanately, I just started reloading for it and haven't fired my reloads yet. A bit overkill for coyotes, but....dead is dead and I see more hogs than coyotes.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For some reason I remember loading a bullet.for one of my 30 30 s. That was around a 110 gr or 115
Gr. I mite have used it in a bolt action 30 30.
But for some reason I thought they made a varmit
Load like that at one time.

·
Registered
11,600 Posts
Not specifically... I just shoot 'em with whatever I'm carrying at the time, be it a rifle to my handgun; even my bow, ha! Actually, I don't hunt them as the "main target" very often, and when I have I've taken my AR/.223 just for some fun. I just see them so often when out for something else that I use whatever is handy...
Good luck to you.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
For some reason I remember loading a bullet.for one of my 30 30 s. That was around a 110 gr or 115
Gr. I mite have used it in a bolt action 30 30.
But for some reason I thought they made a varmit
Load like that at one time.
At one time all the major ammunition manufacturers offered a 110-grain bullet in the 30-30. Finally disappeared back in the 50's.

·
Super Moderator
8,054 Posts
yeah shooting yotes is being in the right place at the right time and shooting with whatever you have. I have used the 30-30 with 110 HPFN loaded with IMR4198 and they will do the trick but the bullets are impossible to find anymore, but yes I loaded one in the mag and one in chamber only. my favorite go to coyote set-up is a Marlin 922 22wmr Semi-auto rifle with a big honking Pulsar night vision mounted on top....looks goofy and I kill every yote that laughs at it.

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
In the environment western auto described just about anything would work. Some considerations should be made depending on what you will do with the carcass. If you are feeding buzzards it doesn't matter. If you will sell the hide then that is a different matter.

The coyotes I have downed have been in my back yard with a Ruger 10-22. At 100 yds or under just about any real firearm will do the trick if you can hit what you aim at. I was tempted a few years ago on a very warm, silent second day of deer season to pop one that crossed under my stand but opted not to. My optimism that I would later see a deer was misplaced. That yote was the only thing I saw for two more days. I should have dropped it with my 45-70 and gotten out of my stand for a cold one.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replays guys.
Like most of you said I see them when I am not looking for suckers. When I am hunting them I rearly get the shot. I am going to have to work on something.
For me its not like you see on TV. Were they come lopeing across a 300 ac.field one after another.
Which I am not complainting. in a way.PS. if I had to live on coyote meat I would starve to death.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
A friend and I used to go to south Texas to another friend's ranch to thin the hogs, coyotes, and javalina (before the javalina was considered game ). Naturally, a caliber for the feral hogs was a must. I mostly used a rebored BAR for that trip in .338-06. Way too much gun for the coyote and javalina, but it killed them anyway. I was not into Marlins back then, except for Mounties, .218 Bee, and ..357 carbines. The spread owner liked his father's old .35 Rem. It did good work for him.

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Personally I Carry my .357 1894 on the Property More than Any other Gun I Have.
Loaded w/ 125gr Hornady XTP's over 21gr H-110 & Mag Primers You'll Have 2100fps "Coyote Bombs"
They're Plenty Accurate out to 100yds (+-1.75in) & Sure Do the Trick on the Yotes.
You oughta see what this load does to Armadillos:ahhhhh:Instant Buzzard Burger on a Half Shell :flute:
Honestly though, We've Killed More Yotes w/ a .30-30 Right from the Front Porch.
UncleSarge58

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I used a 22-250 for coyotes out around Joshua tree and 29 palms for years. was effective and accurate.

Reactions: M700

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
I've killed a number of coyotes over the years, usually while hunting other game. But, my latest coyote kill was with a 17HMR at about 100 yds. while 4-wheeling in the hills. To my surprise it was a one shot DRT. I knew a .17 would kill alright, but not with so much authority. It will turn a squirrel inside-out!

·
Registered
465 Posts
In the environment western auto described just about anything would work. Some considerations should be made depending on what you will do with the carcass. If you are feeding buzzards it doesn't matter. If you will sell the hide then that is a different matter.
Yep. If you just want to kill coyotes, no real need for a dedicated firearm. Once I shot a coyote while deer hunting with a 30-06 using a 180 grain round nosed core-lokt. It ran off a ways. I waited a couple of hours for Bambi to show and then went to look for the yote. I found one of the yote's front quarters about 30 yards up the trail from the rest of him. That sort of put the kibash on some of my theories about bullet expansion and heavy for caliber bullets. Anyway, if the pelt is of no consideration, seems to me that coyote hunting would be great practice with your favorite deer rifle. Or use a 22 (LR, magnum, or center fire) or use a ????? Its all good.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts