Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It happened during late bow season in Central Oklahoma about 10-12 years ago.

It was a great morning of bow hunting from my most fruitful treestand. All of the leaves had changed and everything was a different shade of brown. The sun was making me very sleepy at about 10:00 a.m. and I decided to get down and meet up with my hunting buddy and his son that were hunting about a mile south of me on property on the east side County Line Road. I made the trek thru the brush and out into the open and made the climb out to my truck parked among the round bales. I shed some of the outer garments and laid my bow down in the truck bed, got in and warmed up the motor for a little heat. I eased the truck out of the fenced in area, turned west toward County Line Road and just let the truck idle along while I looked for any fresh tracks that deer might have made during the morning. I had gone about 1/4 mile and noticed a little movement to the right about 50 yd away and about 4 feet off the ground. The movement was across the fence and just over the west fence of the property I had permission to hunt. I touched the brake just a little and eased the truck forward while looking again for movement. Nothing was moving as I got up along side of where I had spotted the movement. I looked and suddenly saw a pair of eyes looking straight at me. I saw then that it was a coyote about 4 feet up in a small blackjack tree that would still be considered brush it was so small.

Of course I could scarcely believe my eyes! I got out of the truck and began walking toward the fence and the coyote began to struggle mightily. Against what I did not know. As I got closer the coyote stopped struggling and became quite still again. He had those piercing eyes that look right thru you and a beautiful coat that was very thick with winter coming on. His coat had great markings; the black and brown stripe transitioning to cream. I then noticed what looked like wire or something wrapped around both the coyote and the tree trunk and limbs. I then realized what was happening.

I got back into my truck and started down the road to get my buddy and his son. As I looked in my rear view mirror I saw the coyote begin to struggle once more.

I got to my buddy and his son that had just walked out of the woods and asked them if either one had ever seen a coyote in a tree. They of course gave me that bewildered look and said "h-ll no! So I loaded them and their bows up in my truck and turned around and headed back the mile to the treed coyote.

As we approched they saw the struggling coyote when I pointed him out. As the truck approached he again quite struggling. I had my biddy's son bring his bow and we crossed the fence to about 10 feet of the coyote. Then we could see that the coyote was wrapped up in wire cable. Someone had set out some cable snares for coyotes and this one had somehow jumped about trying to get loose and had ended up in the little blackjack tree and was hopelessly trapped. My buddy's son was around 12 years old at that time and shot the coyote. NBS End of story.

Dave
:)

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Far more humane than the slow death it would have had.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts