Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to check something.

Saw an 1895 for sale on GB with a full length tube that the seller says is original but there is a cutout from a dovetail between the fore end and the muzzle where the magazine hanger on a normal 1895 would be and it also has the end cap instead of a barrel band. I figured he had some info wrong and sent him a polite note saying I thought it had been modified and explained why. He came back saying "The 1895 cowboy came with a full length tube and held 8 45-70. I will check this rifle out." So he's looking into it and maybe I'm just getting old-timers but it's making me doubt myself. It also has a pistol grip stock with white spacer. I'm 99.9% sure I'm right but figured I'd come here and double check. I also don't see a s/n on the side of the receiver but it's hard to tell in the pic's. Last clue is the mag tube reaches about dead even with the muzzle. I'm thinking the norm is back set a tad.

What say ye?

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, I see now that it has ended so I guess there is no harm in posting the ID#. It was 435211069 if you care to look.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I honestly don't think he set out to lie about it, I think he was just making assumptions based on incomplete knowledge.

Honestly, before I started coming here I'd NEVER heard of anyone customizing a lever gun. (Well, except for John Wayne. ..) not much of a stretch that someone would just assume a non bolt action gun was stock.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Nothing looks cowboy except the full length tube. Did they ever make a SST 1895 with a full rifle length tube? If not, you'd about have to splice two together.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Nope. Cowboys are straight stocked, have an octagon barrel, don't have the "modern" looking sights or the fat fore end wood. Someone just added a full length tube to that one.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
yep looks like mine. i added a full length mag tube

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
a couple of the LTDs (I & V) came with a 1/2 round 1/2 octagon barrel, 24" and hold 8 + 1 the CB holds 9 + 1 with a 26" barrel the other 2 24" LTDs have full octagon barrel and the III has an 18 1/2" full octagon. so i have to agree with you that the seller was quite misinformed!

Reactions: nedclampet

·
Registered
255 Posts
I applaud your giving the guy a break and not thinking he was just trying to rip someone off. Personally I think he was trying to pull a fast one.
1) He clearly states not modified when it's obvious it was.
2) How he answered your question is suspect at best. He talks about the Cowboy model w/o you asking about the Cowboy model.

I've met plenty of people who pass on misinformation with complete disregard to the truth. Their response when called on the carpet, is usually just a shrug of the shoulders and change the subject.
If it walks like a duck.

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
Round 22" barrel, PG stock, extra dovetail (not a Remlin error due to JM stamp), no serial nbr on receiver, folding rear sight, ramped/hooded front sight. Dead giveaway it's a long tube on an 1895SS just like he listed it.

Reactions: darkwater
1 - 11 of 11 Posts