Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used my old 1881 again today in the match. Got partnered up again with the guy with that sweet old original 1895 .45-70. Kind of cool between the two of us our rifles represent over 200 years of experience. Another shooter showed up today using a 1920's vintage 1886 in .33 Winchester.

Well I didn't shoot as well today. Bright sunshine and I was getting glare off of that old silver front sight. I was afraid to black it with a match since I wasn't sure if it would change the point of impact or not.

Match winner was at 31, he's a heck of a shooter, retired law enforcement and owner of the local gunstore.

Then two guys tied at 29 out of 40.

Then came me and 2 other guys at 26. Both of us old Marlin users got 26 out of 40.

If any of you guys are close to Tonasket, Wa. our matches are the first Saturday of each month starting in April and we rotate between small bore, pistol cartridge and the match for the more powerful lever actions. Its really cool because there are alot of older rifles being used.

Geoff

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Glad to hear the old 1881 is shooting well! Where is Tonasket, Wa.? Near Yakima, or Moses Lake? I'm headed to Spokane weekend before Memorial Day.

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mm93,

Tonasket is 120 miles north of Wenatchee, about 20 miles south of the Canadian border. So about as north central as you can get. We are 160 miles from Spokane.

I don't know how many people have ever tried off hand silhouette like we do up here, but it is absolutely the best thing for learning how to shoot better that I have ever come across. I'm 40 years old now and have been shooting pretty extensively since I was 16. I have probably learned more about becoming a better shot in the year I have been shooting silhouette than I did in all those other years put together. I have found there are alot of guys who talk loud in the gunshop about their ability and NEVER show up on match day. I've also noticed some who have been seriously humbled when they do show up. Shooting off hand, iron sights out to 200 meters is a challenge indeed!!!! We've got a good little club here and a dedicated great bunch of shooters.

E-mail me if you are ever coming through mm93.

All the best,

Geoff

·
Registered
496 Posts
It just tickles me to death to hear that the old guns are doing so well in todays competition. I believe the rifles with good ammo will shoot the same from day to day. It is the shooter that has the most variation. I know I have my good days and bad days. :) Parley

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
I shot competively for a number of years. Bullseye match pistol was my favorite, for the same reason. No rest, just offhand at 50 ft. I had a lot of fellas tell me how good they could shoot, declaring 50 cent groups at 50 ft. When I could actually talk a few into coming out for a practice match, they usually had trouble keeping all their shots on the target, with one hand, at 50 ft.
Most were really humbled by the whole event, but a few actually decided that it was good experience, and took up Match Pistol. It's a whole different ballgame, to shoot offhand, with only one hand, and hit with consistency, when the 10 ring is only an inch! It takes a great gun, lots of practice, and a bit of luck on occasion.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Although I'm not the shot you fella's are I too enjoy off handed shooting. I used to shoot in alot of DCM and used to love to listen to these guys and their familiarity with the old M1. I'd take a peak down the line and invariably they would be trying to remove one of these guys thumbs or trying to stop a terrible nose bleed. M1s seemed to have an insatiable appetite for these 10 ring folks who knew so much about them. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
397 Posts
I, too, shoot Bullseye Pistol. I have been shooting it for about 15 years. I have also had the experiences where the best shot in 3 counties tries this indoor 50 ft. gallery shooting. "What do you mean it's only shot at 50 ft ? How tough can that be ?" For those of you who have never tried it - trace a quarter dollar out on a piece of paper and set it at 50 ft. That is the size of the X ring. Now put 5 shots in the quarter in 10 seconds; reload another 5 rounds and put those 5 in the quarter also in 10 seconds. This is shot off-hand WITH ONE HAND. That is, in a nutshell, the rapid fire phase of bullseye shooting. Sound tough ? Try it with your favorite pistol. Then just for the heck of it, try it from a rest, then with a rifle. It will humble you.

Bullseye pistol is considered to be THE toughest of all of the shooting sports. I have learned all about sight alignment, trigger control and breathing - things that were all foreign to me before Bullseye. These fundamentals of shooting have helped me shoot better - no matter which gun I pick up.
WB

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the posts on competitive shooting. Man that pistol shooting sounds TOUGH, TOUGH, TOUGH!!!!!!! I think I'll stick to my rifles for awhile before trying the pistol game. In the near future I want to load up some light .45 Colt cartridges to try in my 8 3/8" S&W 25-5 as per mm93. Thats what makes firearms so facinating, there are so many different things to do with them.

Pretty funny about M-1 thumb. I've heard of it. I know the guys in my dads old 3rd Infantry division sure LOVED their M-1's in WW2, no matter how heavy they were to pack.

Great to hear from you again Parley Baer.

Geoff

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Wishbone pretty much summed it up. Bulleye match is tough, but don't let it imtimidate you. It can be very rewarding if you remember one thing, don't worry about the other guy's score. The game should be played as if you're competing against yourself. Last week's score is what I always tried to beat, not the guy next to me.
I saw a lot of guys get frustrated, and quit because they couldn't shoot as well as another shooter. If you just try to improve against your own scores, you'll continue to have fun, and improve, without getting frustrated.
There were a few really serious shooters in our league, and if I wanted to, I could easily rattle them, and throw their match off, without them even realizing it. Then there were guys who were enjoying themselves so much, that nothing you could say or do would rattle them. Those were my kind of shooters!
We had a very good shooter on our team, who had a habit of shooting his slow fire string in 10 seconds or so, if he just felt "off" that day. Imagine what effect that would have when the guy next to him was shooting his slow fire, at a rate of 10 shots in 10 minutes! Guys who didn't know him would look at him like he was nuts! It always made me chuckle, because I knew why he was doing this. He wanted to get it over, and settle down before the timed and rapid stages.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts