Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Cowboy Carbine Limited .41 Magnum question

5K views 28 replies 24 participants last post by  Skyhunter 
#1 ·
Ok so lets say you find a Cowboy Carbine Limited in .41 Magnum in like new condition barely looks fired. With the price being asked for them today, this one is $1100, do you...

A. Put it in the safe and every once in a while pull it out and look at it

or

B. Use it at the range, in the woods, in the rain and snow etc.

Having a hard time justifying buying one to just put in the safe but then again its only 1 of 1000

Damn Marlinitis

#14 ·
Thanks everyone for the gentle push over the edge. Well I went back and put it on layaway. Will post pics in a couple of weeks after I pick it up. She is unfired without the box. Looks like it was put in the safe and never touched. The LGS is liquidating the collection of an older fellow with health problems.

Incidentally, if anyone is looking, right next to the .41 was a .32 H&R same condition looks unfired with no box for $1250.

#16 ·
I would go back and buy the 32 also. You can sell it on GB for $1400+ with no sweat. I have one with the box and paperwork I am thinking about selling just because I never shoot it. I have shot a 100 rounds through it but wouldn't take less than $1500 for it.

#17 ·
I would use it and take care with it. I have a Browning Citori that I bought new in the early 1980's and it has been on countless bird hunts and skeet shoots and still looks almost new because I love it and I'm very careful with it as I am with all my guns. I have friends whose guns are beat to HE** because they toss them in the back of the truck like fire wood and lay them around in camp where they are knocked over and pushed around, mine go in a case when not in use or traveling from one spot to another. Use it and care of it is my opinion. The prices have somewhat abated on the .41 mag rifles but that's still a good deal in my eyes. I was buying .41 mag marlin's in the 1200-1500 a couple years ago and flipping them anywhere from 1800-2200.

Reactions: dpe.ahoy
#28 ·
Enjoy your 1894, and use it like you would any other. I will use this comparison several years ago AR15's were bringing crazy money... it didn't take long for some mass production to drop the prices in half, maybe 1/3 of what they were bringing, and enough guns are on the market that the prices are dirt cheap. Remington my or may not start making this model/cartridge again, or something similar. In the end it's your choice, enjoy your 1894, and if you ever need anyone to test it to see how well it carries, and hunts I will provide these services free of charge... and give you a report back on how well it does, it may take me a few months or years, but hey I'm providing a free service for ya :idea:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.