Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw what I assume is a Cowboy model 45-70 at the LGS yesterday. It had a 26" octagonal brl, straight stock and no recoil pad, JM stamped with a serial # 99. The walnut wasn't special but the fit was! It was slimmer than my Remlin and the fit was pretty much perfect,it just kind of flowed together. Couldn't find a JM stamped gun for months when I was looking,ah....you know the story. I don't know if it is new or very lightly used but it looked to be in excellent condition. I thought the price was a little high at 1195.00 and I wanted to see what you'll thought. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
With used guns the price is dependent on so many things that I always use one overriding test: How badly I want it. If it passes that one I take it and never look back.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I was watching lots of Cowboys for the past couple of months on GB and here on MO. The price you have seems a bit high. I have seen them from 800 - 1500 and honestly most of them over 1000 did not sell, but then again the ones under 1000 were shooters not safe queens. I ended up buying one of the Cabela's Edition 1895 CBs, it has not arrived yet so I can't tell you how the gun is. The Cabela's Edition is different than the others as it has an 18 1/2" barrel. The other guys on here that have them seem happy with them though. If the one you are looking at has the box it may be worth the price. You may want to talk to your LGS and see if they can give you the previous owners name and talk to him about it.

Reactions: CPL Lou

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
I bought one a couple years ago for $700.00 and it had $100.00 worth of reloading components with it. I think I got a great deal. They aren't making 2001 CB's anymore so I guess it depends on how bad you need it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. I certainly don't need it but I would like to have it. Think I'll just watch it for a while and see what happens. If it sells I won't have to worry about it and if it doesn't I should be able to negotiate a better price.

·
Registered
6 Posts
About 6 months ago I was looking at, and considering, a JM 1895cb on Armslist listed at $1300, I talked the seller to $1100 then along came a guy on another forum with a 2001 for $800 plus postage. He said it's a shooter in decent shape, he sent me some pics and I bought it. Well as far as I am concerned the rifle I got is well above "decent" shape.

If you want it and the purchase isn't going to hurt you anywhere else.... do what you like and be happy.

Mark

·
Premium Member
4,980 Posts
I've got a few Marlins I probably paid too much for, but, I still have all of them! I'd rather have the rifle than the few hundred extra dollars in my pocket...I've gotten some REAL good deals as well though, so I think it all balances out in the end.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
You might be able to negotiate with the LGS, perhaps with showing other prices that cb's have sold for. Maybe include a trade for part of the cost. If they have been sitting on it for a while, they might be getting less optimistic about what it can sell for. There aren't too many cb's out there, and condition matters a lot on pricing. I love my cb, but when I pick up something it usually is my little gbl with the fatter butt that has the nice decelerator pad.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.