Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do y'all use for a cover scent while trapping. I have done terrible this year and I think is due to human scent on my line. Any suggestion for what I need to do?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Terrible-extremely distressing or bad:biggrin: This year I haven't caught anything of use (neighbor's hound was returned unharmed). My sets are in a bottom near a wash, one is near fence on the backside of a rock, and one is near a hole in a fence off the edge of a deer path. They are covered and baited. I boiled and dipped them last year(not used until this season,sat in a toolbox). I trap about half a mile away from a subdivision. I'm after mainly coon and fox, but I will take anything. If I come up with anything else I will post.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
It's entirely possible your not doing anything wrong. I'd be a little more suspect if you were getting sprung traps, stolen bait or non-targets but one possible scenario is that you can't catch what isn't there. The fact you caught the neighbors dog shows that a canine would at least show some curiosity. Hang in there and keep your sets working. There will be a juvinile dispersal soon if there hasn't already. Also, you should be gang setting. If you have time to put in one set, you have time to put in two or three. Even a hot nosed critter can walk right by a set and miss it if the wind isn't right so put sets in where they'll wind it regardless of wind direction.

Successful trapping has as much to do with pre-season prospecting as it does putting in sets. Your probably in the wrong place or not enough places. Don't stress. Just try something different and the key will reveal itself.

·
Premium Member
2,912 Posts
This year before my stroke and after was a bad one with deer and hogs. I go to a friends place up in red river county which before this year lots of game on the cameras. From turkeys, hogs and deer. This year nada, nothing ,zip.

Barely anything, just saw a cougar and a small black bear and that was only once on each. Many things could have happen. Maybe someone with alot of acreage decided to be a farmer and planted a large crop like wheat or soybean and or maybe corn and the deer, turkey and hogs decided that getting feed at a certain time from a feeder was the pits and moved on to the farmers place and is munching down on his profits.

You just dont know, critters that we hunt migrate sometime. Maybe their buddies told them the grass is actually greener on the otherside.

And to somewhat answer your question I never used anything to mask or make me smell like the critter I am hunting and always been lucky except this year in putting meat in the freezer may it be deer, hog or turkey and I been hunting about 40 years..

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
One of my neighbors is building a house. More of a small scale logging and moat digging job. This, I believe is running the critters off . I may have some places lined up for the second half of the season.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Coon will ignore human scent, fox however, more particular than yotes. Go back to the basics to figure out your problem. Are you finding sign (tracks, paths, scat). Make sure your sets are secure and don't move in the bed as well as creating a "funnel" for the critters to be guided into your sets. Then look at your baits or lure, some are very specific as to what they will attract and when. Like now most omnivores are looking for high protein/fatty meals. Give them something they cant resist. During the rut, they are more preoccupied with marking territory, running off rivals and "Hey! Who's this chick in my territory!?" Not trying to tell you what to do, just a suggestion as to how I'd handle it. Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts