Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couple of "US MADE" knives.

I built myself a new camp-box recently (see the I did it myself forum) and decided it needed a new camp knife too so instead of going out and buying some cheap Chinese crap to use as a camp beater,,, I ordered up a Green River sheath knife blade and some nice Cocobolo scales for it.
Here's a pic of it with another skinner I've been struggling with for a while now, but finally got to come around to my way of thinking.

Now,,, my point is, the GR blade's only about eight bucks and the scales around six. Couple bux more for some brass pins and some epoxy and maybe five dollars worth of leather for a sheath and I still don't have over twenty in the thing.
I realize that it's not for everyone, or that some don't have a big shop full of tools, but you really don't need much to put together something that's allot more gratifying than plunking down your hard earned money for something that may or may not last the year.
I do have a little bench mounted drill press and a small bench top belt sander, but you really can get by without either. The drill press is nice for getting the pin holes nice and straight, but I pretty much do everything else with a coping saw, files, and sanding blocks.

Anyway,,, just thought I'd throw it out there for those (like me) that detest buying inferior crap.

And a couple more self gratuitous pix. :-[ ;D

JMO, YMMV, etc, etc.
Charlie

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Re: Couple of "US MADE" knives.

Nice job on both of those. Hope they work out for you. Hows the steel? Might as well ask, where you get the "parts"? Steve.

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts

stevewhr said:
Nice job on both of those. Hope they work out for you. Hows the steel? Might as well ask, where you get the "parts"? Steve.
+1 on where to get the parts! Those are awesome. At the cost you ref I might be making some. Like I need another hobby....

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts

Charlie,

Those are both beautiful knives, I'm extremely impressed with your obvious skills. What did you use for handle material on the smaller knife? I really like the Russell Green River Knife Works blades, always have, they are extremely good quality high carbon steel that has been made since America was 13 colonies...smile. Nice work buddy, really nice.

Jesse

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Thanks guys.
Here are a few of the suppliers I use Steve.

http://www.texasknife.com/vcom/index.php
http://www.knifecenter.com/
http://www.premiumknifesupply.com/StoreFront.bok
http://www.knifemaking.com/category-s/47.htm

Lots more on Google, but these are a few I keep going back to.
Jantz has the best prices on GR blades but their handle material is awfully high.
Like every thing else, shipping and inflation continue to rise, but if ya watch the sales, shop around, and buy multiples to spread the shipping costs around it's an affordable way to cure my "tinkeritis".
I make a few each year. Most end up as gifts but I'm keeping the new camp knife. Now that I think about it, the only one I've kept over the years is a little paring knife. Maybe I better keep that Skinner too.. LOL

Jesse,,,,, those are Maple Burl scales on the skinner. Pretty, but that's the most schizophrenic stuff I've ever worked with. Hard as hades in some spots, and soft in others. The grain (if you can call it that) goes every which a way. And if that's not challenging enough,,, little voids show up in the most inconvenient places. No telling what you're gonna run into when ya start cutting and sanding.

Anywhoooo,,, give it a try guys. It's allot of fun if ya like that sort of thing.
So easy an old old Carpenter can do it.
Charlie

Oh yea,,,, lots of vidios on youtube too.
Every thing from forging and heat treating your own blades, to the simplest handle instalation.

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts

You done good on the knives :) If you make your own you probably will not leave it some were ;D

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts

Gifts eh? I got a birthday comin up......grin. Charlie I really like the smaller of those two knives, that's just about ideal for field dressing and versatile enough to clean fish too, I'd say it's a near perfect choice. What type of leather did you use for your sheaths?

Jesse

·
Registered
41 Posts

Nicely done, young Skywalker!It is truly gratifying to see what can be done WITHOUT a huge investment in tooling. I had made some knives a while back , but I used (and would heartily recommend) O-1 tool steel for your next project. You can get it just about anywhere, it's not expensive, and is, especially important for me, goof proof. :D

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

DHC1775 said:
Nicely done, young Skywalker!

Well DHC,,, I've been called allot of things,, but seldom "young" and never "Skywalker" but thanks (I think) ;D..

Jesse,,,,,,,,, It's 8-9oz vegetable tanned cowhide. Got it from Jantz for twelve bucks a square foot. Looks like (if I don't screw up) a guy should be able to get a couple sheaths from it.
I've never made a sheath before, but plan to teach myself how to in the next few days.

Wish me luck,,, I'll need it.
Charlie

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts

Charlie,

You've got it my friend, I do in fact with you the very best of luck on your projects. Catherine and I are coming your way today but probably only as far as the stock bridge over the Lochsa that goes by Jerry Johnson hot springs. It's Catherine's birthday today so I'm taking her for a nice drive and then out to dinner later. I really like the blade shape on that smaller knife, think I'll see about picking up the stuff to make one for myself....grin.

Jesse

1 - 10 of 10 Posts