Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well since this mother bear and her cubs have been hitting the backyard every night now, I thought I would set up a trail cam and to try to get a better pic of the cubs, dropped a little corn/bird seed on the ground in front of it
don't plan on feeding these bears, but was hoping for a few pic's
so, checked the cam from last night and got about 50 pic's, but no real good clear one's of all 4 cubs
the mother bear showed up in daylight too, BUT didn't have her cubs with her
many times they will do this, the cubs will go up a tree and NOT come down till she calls them, seen cubs sit of a tree for over 5 hrs, heck, they will go to sleep 40+ ft up a tree waiting to be called down some times! LOL

any how here are a few pic's hope you enjoy

and checking out the camera, a close up for sure LOL over the yrs I have had more than camera chewed up, as they get very curious by things, and test stuff with there mouths at times , and there so powerful they can crush a camera without much effort
I found that I must be careful when handling camera's, any thing that smells like food or sweets, gets them to nibble on more times than not, so NO handling bird seeds before placing a camera LOl

Three of the 4 cubs

the 4 cubs and the mother finding the birds seeds I dumped in front of the cam

the 4 cubs
the one on the right is standing up, trying to climb on my trailer, for what ever reason, all of them like to climb up on it and then jump off, preferably on top of one of the other cubs when they jump off, its like WWF wresting with these cubs here, they make me laugh for sure, balls of energy and tumble like pro's

·
Registered
769 Posts
Your gonna get your butt whooped taking out the garbage one night. Bear broke into my Chicken Coop again last night. He is gonna meet his maker tonight.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HAHA, not worried about that
cannot tell you how many times I have walked into a bear at night here, never been an issue, even took a garbage can off a bear a few times over the yrs
Funny story about that
a few yrs back I hear this banging outside, like a smash here and then theer and it just keeps going on
so I grab a flashlight and a gun, go outside and fine this younger male bear with my trash can, I keep them empty till trash night and I also keep the insides very clean
well this dumb bear must have smelled something, and was carrying the trash can about the yard with its head in the can, holding the can in its mouth, but doing so, had its full head in the 40 gallon trash can, so, dummy was walking about the yard couldn;t see where it was going and kept walking into things LOL
so I walked up behind it and gave it a slight kick in the butt, and NOW that made things interesting and funny as crap to me,
this bear once I kicked it, took off running, and again, its whole head was in my trash can, LOL
he ran into my shed, them bounced off that, then down a steep hill which caused him to fall, and he about rolled into the trash can, then popped out, and up the first tree it could find, giving me the look of WOW< what the hell happned
I went down , picked up my trash can, and went back inside
NO problems
unless a bear is cornered, sick, ill, starving, or JUST in a real bad mood, they will run away
30+ yrs of having bears about me, helping tag and trap bears, helping getting trouble causing bears reloated
never had an issue with one to date
I DON:"T recommend anyone go kick one in the butt like I did, that was not too smart on my part, but again, I have done my share of dumb things too
so, live and learn, made for a funny night, and story now to tell LOl

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am always alert about my area, I live in a remote area, only about 30 homes in my whole town, and about half or mroe than half of my neighbors feed critters, plus about 15,000 acres of gun /hunting club propety behind and across from me, with lots of food plots and such, its a very rich area for all sorts of wildlife
so, me and my neighbors are all aware of what's in the yards and area
3 of my neighbors are state game wardens, or retired one's
there is a bear trap in my neighbors yard most of the yr
the game warden traps and tags and weights bears here, gets about a 10-15 different bears every yr too, from some BIG males to cubs
but like I said, I don't feed them trying to get bears about me, there just in my area in larger numbers than most places
and we all that live here accept the facts, and live with them, and to be honest, minus some bird feeder damages from time to time, none of us have any bad experiences with the local bears
been like this here for a good 30 + yrs too, people and bears can coexist, just have to know a little and knowledge is power, and again have that respect of what a bear CAN do, if it wanted to
Just sharing these pic's as I know most folks don't get to see bears often
not trying to tell anyone what or how to handle bears!
I again, DON"T suggest feeding bears, its asking for issue's more or less!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts