Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I became discouraged with the fact that my new marlin shoots to the left, I put a straight edge down each side of the upper receiver and it appears that the barrel is canted to the left. Also using a square on both sides of the receiver it appears that the scope rail is off center to the left as well. today I took out my older 1895 cowboy and performed a similar test. The barrel on it actually seems to point even farther to the left. Additionally the bevel on the top of the receiver is wider on the right side. I am intersted to see if all of the 1895s are that way. Maybe the receivers are not milled square along the length with each end being the same diameter. I do know that my cowboy is a nice shooting rifle. So if anyone wants to do similar measurements on their 1895 and share your results I would appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
10,948 Posts
LB

The face of your receiver should be dead square to the left side..........Those are both datums. If the part gets loaded on a chip, the result can be out of square. Generally, with both sights on the barrel the condition is never an issue, even with a scope. It will usually show itself when adding a receiver sight. sometimes, a barrel can be bent to correct this condition.

The bevels on the top being off, indicates a poor set up on the Miller, in that the gang cutter on the arbor was not centered on the part correctly.

Tom

·
Registered
549 Posts
Tomray said:
sometimes, a barrel can be bent to correct this condition.
Woohhhh...faints......kerplop...

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I appreciate the information. Is this a common defect then? It seems that both of my 1895s are that way.

·
Premium Member
10,948 Posts
longbow2018 said:
Thanks, I appreciate the information. Is this a common defect then? It seems that both of my 1895s are that way.
Yes.........unfortunatly, both are somewhat common.

As I said, the barrel doesn't showitself with factory sights, and the bevels were viewed as acceptable, unless they were really out of spec. There were template gages to controll the problem, but they were "up for interpretation" by the setup man, and a floor inspector..........

Yeah, I never liked the way it was done, or checked, .........but as you know, "You got to pick your battles", and after it being done the same way for decades......it was hard to change.

Tom

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
Tom, I have a 2001 1895 that has the droop. Would it be possible to bend this back? If you could outline the procedure, perhaps it would help a bunch of us. Its a shootable gu with a decent shim. It'll shoot high pressure loads without it. Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts