Marlin Firearms Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
natural gas, Boom! with house burnt.
View attachment 862443
This happen right here in New Iberia, La, two people burnt to death along with pets. Natural gas leak cause it.
View attachment 862444

ca'jun56
Gas continuing to flow out of a service line causes fires, if it blows out there is none. A good dose of either gas within explosive range besides blowing your house up, also takes up the oxygen in the explosion. Neither is good, blown up sucks.

·
Registered
605 Posts
No I don’t think it could do that kind of damage! In fact very little if stored in it’s original containers.....a fire yes, a powerful explosion....no! I’m betting my life on it! 😉 memtb

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
When I was a younger man living in Knoxville, someone I knew casually had his house blow up with him in it. IIRC, the fire marshal thought it was his significant cache of reloading supplies. This thinking was debated by the local shooting community. I was under the impression that most insurance companies have limits on how much powder/primers you can store in your home.

·
Premium Member
9,736 Posts
if 6 lbs of powder can do that i had better be real carful! i could launch my loading room into space,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, 😁

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
It’s gas. I don’t care what you have 6lb of smokeless in, you won’t get those results. Smokeless is a propellant, Black Powder is an explosive.
couple years ago in a small town I was working in, Gas Co. had turned off gas to a residence due to non payment of bill. They would not reconnect until fully paid. So guy gets a propane pig and Bubba’s it to his natural gas furnace. He took hour sabbatical to go up to local diner for lunch and brag about his plumbing job. I was 5 blocks away on a ladder putting up conduit when he test fired his work. Results looked like those in OPs picture. Damage 5 other homes. Guy didn’t make it.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Like most I would like to know what actually happened, hard to believe that they survived that.

·
Premium Member
716 Posts
Like most I would like to know what actually happened, hard to believe that they survived that.
Take a look at Post #24 again, there were four people in the damaged portion of the building when the gas exploded. All received flash burns over 16% to 30% of their bodies. One was in a coma, but all survived.

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
Guy jumps out of plane sky diving, his shoot don’t open. He’s panicked but looks down and sees a guy coming up from ground. He hollers at guy “ Do you know anything about Parachutes? “ guy hollers back “ No, do you know anything about gas furnaces “. I’ve been in some hairy situations with gas. When the gas company guy runs, you better be right on his tail. Chinese 1/2 gas pipe is culpert for a lot of gas leaks. It’s rolled and welded, seamed, then they apply shiny black lacquer type coating to it. Stuff is accident waiting to happen. When you go in home improvement store be sure to avoid this junk.

·
Super Moderator
5,876 Posts
Guy jumps out of plane sky diving, his shoot don’t open. He’s panicked but looks down and sees a guy coming up from ground. He hollers at guy “ Do you know anything about Parachutes? “ guy hollers back “ No, do you know anything about gas furnaces “. I’ve been in some hairy situations with gas. When the gas company guy runs, you better be right on his tail. Chinese 1/2 gas pipe is culpert for a lot of gas leaks. It’s rolled and welded, seamed, then they apply shiny black lacquer type coating to it. Stuff is accident waiting to happen. When you go in home improvement store be sure to avoid this junk.
Yep, sounds just as bad as the old cotton wrapped rubber hoses used for gas heaters in the 70's and before. Was on quite a few house fires that were started from them.

jd

·
Registered
118 Posts
He didn't want to tell the cops he was cooking meth, and they didn't know squat about smokeless powder and bought his lies. That's how I see it at any rate.

~WH~

21 - 40 of 41 Posts