Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
I see some red items in the pic when I zoom in, my beloved Lee equipment. Prolly factory crimp dies laying everywhere 😬

·
Registered
463 Posts
No, unless he was building a actual bomb with a propane tank to contain the blast until it ruptured and exploded. Smokeless powder in it original plastic or cardboard containers burns crazy fast but doesn’t explode however black powder is something totally different and is explosive. I initially thought a gas leak but when a gas leak detonates the whole house becomes splinters.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
No, unless he was building a actual bomb with a propane tank to contain the blast until it ruptured and exploded. Smokeless powder in it original plastic or cardboard containers burns crazy fast but doesn’t explode however black powder is something totally different and is explosive. I initially thought a gas leak but when a gas leak detonates the whole house becomes splinters.
But not in the containers. About you could get to go would be 1 pound. Look at the Boston bomber videos. Those bombs wouldn't do that kind of damage.
I would believe a gas leak or cooking Meth.

·
Registered
17,902 Posts
Read the story. Who knows what he really had in the house, or what he was working on. He's not going to tell Police and Rescue he had 75 or 80 pounds of smokeless and 50 pounds of black powder in the storage room. He told them he had "six pounds or more of smokeless powder in the immediate area". He wasn't lying, he just failed to mention some other important facts. Six pounds of smokeless CAN NOT destroy a house.

Rectangle Font Magenta Art Screenshot

·
Super Moderator
9,891 Posts
I agree that 6 lbs in original DOT approved storage cannisters cannot blow like that----unless contained in a strong airtight container. I would suspect black powder first before the smokeless. Maybe static electricity the culprit----or as mentioned a gas leak. We don't have static issues here where I live as the humidity is so high.

·
Premium Member
12,627 Posts
if it was natural gas the whole house would have burnt! Propane also!
So I'm with Rob! He is lying about how much powder blew!

ca'jun56
Propane will blow your house across town. Not going to be much to burn when a spark lights a house full of propane or natural gas. The advantage with natural gas is that it is lighter than air and will escape from above if there is a way. Propane is more dangerous as it is heavier than air and will fill the building from the floor up.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Read the story. Who knows what he really had in the house, or what he was working on. He's not going to tell Police and Rescue he had 75 or 80 pounds of smokeless and 50 pounds of black powder in the storage room. He told them he had "six pounds or more of smokeless powder in the immediate area". He wasn't lying, he just failed to mention some other important facts. Six pounds of smokeless CAN NOT destroy a house.

View attachment 862439
He could have just as easily said that he was taking a dump when the explosion occurred, neither would have caused that damage. Propane blows out around the foundation because it's heavy, Natural Gas is lighter that air and will take out the top. That looks more like a Natural Gas explosion with the trusses laid out like that and the cinder blocks laid out bottom to top with the bottom courses closest to the foundation.. Also no fire damage, which is typical of a gas explosion.
I had the experience of actually seeing a house explode from a propane leak back in 1984. It blew the house off it's foundation and the entire house was being held up by a Mercury Outboard on one side and a Pinball machine on the other. Damage to surrounding houses was severe also, but there was no fire after the blast.

·
Super Moderator
36,503 Posts
Propane will blow your house across town. Not going to be much to burn when a spark lights a house full of propane or natural gas. The advantage with natural gas is that it is lighter than air and will escape from above if there is a way. Propane is more dangerous as it is heavier than air and will fill the building from the floor up.
natural gas, Boom! with house burnt.
Plant Building Nature Motor vehicle Window

This happen right here in New Iberia, La, two people burnt to death along with pets. Natural gas leak cause it.
Sky Plant Tree Motor vehicle Land lot

ca'jun56

·
Registered
5,666 Posts
In 1983 a leaking 500 lb propane tank ignited in a four story warehouse in Buffalo, NY.
Five fireman and two civilians were killed in the blast which leveled four city blocks.
I felt the floor shake at home several miles away.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 41 Posts