Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any aussie 308mx owners find a good deal on ammo? One of the local shops (300km radius in the NT counts as local) wants over $60 a pop and I can't see that being right. I'm gonna be willing to buy in bulk to save and may be makin a holiday roadtrip to QLD so could cash in on a deal. Cheers.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Hey Dr UNK, I have a box in my safe you can have for nothing, if youre ever in Bris give me a shout... I saw some at Clevers a while back but cant remember the price - call them up , they are normally cheapest around...
Dave

Reactions: wags2477

·
Registered
150 Posts
Do you reload ?

If you do and you want to make your rifle easier and much cheaper to feed, you can have the chamber reamed out to take regular 308 Win brass, then load to 2.55" as per 307 Win specs, using FN bullets designed for the 30/30. Of course normal 308 Win ammo will not cycle through the action (they're too long) and nor should you use pointy bullets in the magazine (for fairly obvious reasons). 308 brass is easy to find and inexpensive.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sweet, thanks for the offer levelled, might be that way around Christy holidays. Cheers for the tip JFE, might hold off for the moment but definitely keep in mind down the track. For the moment, I've found some local'ish stock for $41 a box. Boo-ya!

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Cleavers Firearms in Brissy have some that wont break the bank!

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Is $44 per box the going rate there? A decent price here in the States is about $30 + -. The exchange rate today is, 88 *Australia vs $1.00 US. Add a fair Shipping rate and I suppose $44 is a good price for a box of 308MX. Can you put your hands on 338MX ammo?
Ss

·
Registered
289 Posts
Is $44 per box the going rate there? A decent price here in the States is about $30 + -. The exchange rate today is, 88 *Australia vs $1.00 US. Add a fair Shipping rate and I suppose $44 is a good price for a box of 308MX. Can you put your hands on 338MX ammo?
Ss
Not the view of a lot of Aussie shooters, they want it at your prices, given our ammo probably goes through an extra set of hands in the importers/wholesalers before getting on dealers shelves while a lot of yours would be purchased directly from the manufacturer the profit margins are not that great.
No trouble getting 338ME currently in Aus both importers have it in stock.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
I figured you'd have to pay higher shipping costs. So do you think there may be some unnecessary handling?
You are right about the shipping here, from the manufacturer to the store, perhaps with a distribution point in between. But you will notice that we gripe our price as well. You should post your prices on the 336 board just to give a perspectiv.
Ss

·
Registered
289 Posts
Most retailers in Aus aren't of a size to make importing themselves cost effective. I have costed importing items myself and for commercial sale it doesn't stack up. Cheaper to source from the Aus distributors/wholesalers.

Cheapest Aus retail price I can currently find for a new 336W in Aus is $659.

·
Premium Member
1,220 Posts
Most retailers in Aus aren't of a size to make importing themselves cost effective. I have costed importing items myself and for commercial sale it doesn't stack up.
Yep the bespoke importation only seems to happen if you are someone like Ramslammer bringing in specific used firearms for CLAS because they simply aren't available new or commercially, or that dealer in Mackay bringing in NIB JM cowboy models to sell to rich Miners for exorbitant prices.

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
Shipping Ammo from a Dealer to a customer is more expensive because of STUPID FEDERAL GOVERNMENT REGULATIONS! What else is new in the land of Regulations? Ammo MUST be shipped via UPS. they charge by the Pound. If it were being shipped via USPS, it would be less than half the rates of UPS. However, UPS doesn't lose packages at the same rate as the US Post Office.

Typically a box of 30-30 Federal ammunition coming from Midway USA to me in PA costs about $1.20 a box. The weight of a 20 box of 30-30 is 1.2 pounds. So that makes sense. Dealers will not ship any other way, individuals can but if they get caught I'd just as soon pay UPS rates and not worry.

Cheers!

Mike T.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Typically a box of 30-30 Federal ammunition coming from Midway USA to me in PA costs about $1.20 a box. The weight of a 20 box of 30-30 is 1.2 pounds. So that makes sense. Dealers will not ship any other way, individuals can but if they get caught I'd just as soon pay UPS rates and not worry.
Count yourself lucky, here it can only be shipped by registered dangerous goods carriers. Most have a minimum charge around $100. Don't know at what weight the price goes up but 20000 22lr still doesn't put you above their minimum charge price.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts