Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
What I learned from your post above is what I love about this forum. I had to check and see if the tang on my "peanut" was D & T'd for a tang sight. I never noticed it before. I hope you find out the answer so I will know also. Interesting year of history for the 39A, with or without the "peanut".

Gun Shotgun Trigger
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content
Purple Violet Material property Textile Button

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What I learned from your post above is what I love about this forum. I had to check and see if the tang on my "peanut" was D & T'd for a tang sight. I never noticed it before. I hope you find out the answer so I will know also. Interesting year of history for the 39A, with or without the "peanut".

View attachment 727036 View attachment 727038

Yep,gotta love the peanut

·
Registered
91 Posts
The period correct Lyman aperture sight for your rifle is a Lyman No. 1A Combination Tang Sight Third Variation – patented July 25, 1905. The “A” suffix indicates the addition of the locking lever on the left side of the upright pivot. This sight was in production until 1955. I believe I have one around here somewhere. Also, you can use a receiver sight, many shooters like them better that the aperture or peep sights. The correct receiver sights for your rifle are the Lyman 66MC (all steel), or the Lyman 56MC, or the Redfield 70 "O". Pretty pricey options if you can find them especially in new or mint condition with the original boxes. I have a couple around here somewhere.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I just put a new marbles peep tang sight and a vintage redfield globe on my 1950 39a and really like the setup. the marbles has windage adj unlike some of the old ones but still looks vintage. I put 4 in les than 3/4 inch with 3 touching at 45 yrds and 3in about an inch at 90 yrds. this was off a bag on a bench. I t took about 21 clicks up to go from 45 to 90 yards. the marbles fit the screw holes perfectly. I kind of wanted an old peep but for about 100 bucks the marlbles works great

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just put a new marbles peep tang sight and a vintage redfield globe on my 1950 39a and really like the setup. the marbles has windage adj unlike some of the old ones but still looks vintage. I put 4 in les than 3/4 inch with 3 touching at 45 yrds and 3in about an inch at 90 yrds. this was off a bag on a bench. I t took about 21 clicks up to go from 45 to 90 yards. the marbles fit the screw holes perfectly. I kind of wanted an old peep but for about 100 bucks the marlbles works great
Can you post a picture of it on your 39?

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I don't know if everyone does it this way, but I "cheated" when I installed my peep sight. I left the rear sight on and used that to "sight through." Once the peep was lined up perfectly with the rear and front sights, I removed the rear sight, took it to the range and it was already perfectly sighted in.

I felt like a genius but then assumed everyone probably does it that way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.