Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help me to find the correct hammer extension for my 39A? My serial # is 07256022 stamped on the upper tang. My research indicates 1993 manufacture. I ordered an Uncle Mikes # 2458. Package states Fits: Marlin lever actions 1983 and later. It also indicates it fits all lever actions listing several models including 39A. The width of the slot machined in the hammer extension is WAY too wide to properly fit. I also checked on a Grovtec. They offer one and say their model GTHM-74 will fit for all 1983 and later. Has anyone had this issue and if so, can you shed some light? Will the Grovtec actually fit before I order it? Am I not interpreting the serial # and date of mfg correctly? To double check, I checked the extension on my Marlin 336 XTR SS which fits and operates perfectly. I noticed the width of that hammer is much wider than the 39A.

While I'm at it, I also ordered an extension from Uncle mikes for my mid 70's Winchester 9422 magnum. Uncle Mikes # 2451. That extension fits the hammer very well, nice and snug when you slide it all the way forward per instructions. However, when I cycle the lever I find the rear of the bolt jams against the hammer extension and won't allow the lever and bolt to open fully. If I try to slide the extension back far enough to let the bolt clear it, it is way too loose on the hammer to trust that tiny set screw to hold it.

Any thoughts?
Jeff

·
Registered
7,808 Posts
I believe the Marlins of that era used the steel round knurled extensions, just like the Uncle Mikes. Make sure you buy one of the new model ones for after 1983. Not likely you'll make that mistake, but Marlins pre-1983 have a different width hammer (I think it is narrower). The older size extensions are a bit harder to find. Several other manufacturers make virtually identical extensions, and any will look correct.

Older Marlins used flat aluminum extensions, either imprinted with a white "M" or plain black and knurled. Those are difficult to find and very pricey when you eventually do find them.

Also be aware that the set screw is extremely tiny. And there may be two of them, one on top of the other. Keep track of that Allen wrench, it is smaller that 1/16" and replacements are not easily found in most Allen wrench sets.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just checked the three I have.
They only fit my 1957 Mountie.

I know they fit a 1973 336 I had.
They don't fit a '51 39a, or any Remlins I have and I already covered the 1990 CL's.
View attachment 900011
They are aluminum btw.

The fitting is .33 inches wide.
Thanks for that info Timothy. You have the original JM's there. Hang on to em. Hard to find.
Jeff

1 - 5 of 5 Posts