Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy Gents,

I am considering the purchase of a late production 1893 rifle in 30-30 that needs some love. It has already been messed with, so it isn't a collector. If I buy it, it would be as a project. While I haven't seen it yet, I have been told that the bore isn't too great, so it would be a great candidate for a 38-55 rebore. It has also been refinished, but I would be interested in returning it to the correct, original finish. All of the 93s that I have seen have had color case hardened actions. Some of them, however, have had blued bolts. Is there a serial number cut off that specifies the correct finish? Should the butt plate and fore end cap also be color cased with the barrel and mag tube rust blued? Would nitre bluing be correct for the screws and loading gate? Any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

PS: MM93, this is the rifle you and I discussed the other day.

Wayne

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
Mossyrock said:
I am considering the purchase of a late production 1893 rifle in 30-30 that needs some love. If I buy it, it would be as a project. While I haven't seen it yet. I would be interested in returning it to the correct, original finish. All of the 93s that I have seen have had color case hardened actions.

Wayne - The standard 1893 receivers were cased, except for the later Black Powder Only guns, whjich were blued.

Some of them, however, have had blued bolts. Is there a serial number cut off that specifies the correct finish?

You are correct that some had blued bolts. I don't know if there is a correct cutoff serial or not - MM93 would probably know if anyone would. The 1893 I fixed up originaly had a blued bolt, and it was a first year gun... :? I figured it would have been cased as well, but upon disassembly, the bottom of the bolt still had about 90 blue. So I blued it.

Should the butt plate and fore end cap also be color cased with the barrel and mag tube rust blued? Would nitre bluing be correct for the screws and loading gate?

Yes - The bolt not withstanding, the receiver, lever, hammer, forend tip, and buttplate were cased. The bbl and mag tube were rust blued, and the screws, pins, sights, and other small stuff were nitre blued.

Shum8

Any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

PS: MM93, this is the rifle you and I discussed the other day.

Wayne

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
I don't think there is a cutoff date for blued bolts. Most 1893's have cased bolts, but I've seen them like shum8's with blued bolts that on inspection appeared to be factory. I've also seen some '93's with blued bolts, though not a lot. Either way, I don't think you'd be out of place to choose either.
I've seen a number of late 93' Marlins with blued forearm caps, so depending on whether it's a 1893 or '93, I'd go blued for the latter.
I've also seen '93's with blued hammers, so that could go either way too.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
`93 metal finish

If it is of any help, my `93 -1897 mfg. date has the cased bolt and receiver. Cased lever, hammer, trigger, butplate and end cap.

`57 Mountie

1 - 4 of 4 Posts