• Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Marlin 1895 GBL 45-70
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I've made some research while I was trying to come up with a good round for deer hunting.
and I've decided to make a video about it.
I compared my result with the Hornady Monoflex, and the results were quite surprising!

A round with TSX 300gr and 47gr of N120, 2067 FPS - was my most accurate loads. 1.1inch group @ 100yards.

If you want to see my video:

Enjoy!
Audran

·
Registered
29 Posts
I am doing copper bullets too. I bought the Lihigh 380 grain flat nose and pushing them 1600 fps on a 26" barrel.

Great video. Thanks.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Thanks for posting this excellent video. You are very analytical (this is a complement and a good thing). Good shooting also. I don't know about you but I feel a whole lot more confident taking a shot at an animal when I know the rifle and ammunition are going to deliver exceptional accuracy. I have used the Barnes all copper bullets in 5.56 and 300 Blackout for deer hunting. I don't think either of these rounds are top tier deer cartridges. With that out of the way, the Barnes bullets in both calibers performed exceptionally well on whitetails. Accuracy was top drawer also.

·
Registered
Marlin 1895 GBL 45-70
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am doing copper bullets too. I bought the Lihigh 380 grain flat nose and pushing them 1600 fps on a 26" barrel.

Great video. Thanks.
What powder are you using? I also wonder what the expansion looks like on these flat nose bullet.

·
Registered
Marlin 1895 GBL 45-70
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for posting this excellent video. You are very analytical (this is a complement and a good thing). Good shooting also. I don't know about you but I feel a whole lot more confident taking a shot at an animal when I know the rifle and ammunition are going to deliver exceptional accuracy. I have used the Barnes all copper bullets in 5.56 and 300 Blackout for deer hunting. I don't think either of these rounds are top tier deer cartridges. With that out of the way, the Barnes bullets in both calibers performed exceptionally well on whitetails. Accuracy was top drawer also.
Thank you so much for the kind words :)

I am just like you on that front, I want a bullet that shoots right and kills fast. There are so many parameters during hunts, I want my gear to be flawless.

I was really impressed by these Barnes. I would like to do an expansion test are various velocities next.

Cheers!
Audran

·
Registered
29 Posts
What powder are you using? I also wonder what the expansion looks like on these flat nose bullet.
IMR3031 49 grains and it is close to compress. I hope to find out this coming November, going to try them on Elk.

I have watch videos of the Lihigh 305grain Xtreme penetrator. It seems to work very well.

·
Registered
Marlin 1895 GBL 45-70
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll try to get some in Canada, you got me curious :)
Good luck out there! and keep us posted!

·
Registered
Marlin 1895 GBL 45-70
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
IMR3031 49 grains and it is close to compress. I hope to find out this coming November, going to try them on Elk.

I have watch videos of the Lihigh 305grain Xtreme penetrator. It seems to work very well.
I'll try to get some in Canada, you got me curious :)
Good luck out there! and keep us posted!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I voted for Barnes 300 gr TSX, because that is my hunting bullet now. I did load development with 250 gr TSX but never used them while hunting. Found good accuracy with it, but then i got heavier ones and started using them. Last fall I shot two moose calves with that 300 gr bullet and it works good. No recovered bullets, just clean holes at both sides.

Cant say a thing how it expands when shot to animal, but I dug few form sand when I was shooting at the range. Hard hit to sand and rocks made that bullet look pretty brutal but it held together.

Thanks for the video!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Marlin 1895 with 22" barrel. MV 0 at +15 degrees of celsius av. 640 m/s, but I had lighter load last fall. It was running ~580 m/s below zero temp.
Calves were shot from 30 - 40 metres.

·
Premium Member
10,986 Posts
Thanks ..................surely still over 2000 fps at impact. Have my reasons for looking into that 300. Just don't want to beat that 1895 to death getting expansion out at 75-100 yards. ...........then of course, you start w/ a 458" hole.
I don't know ............thanks again.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have no doubt about its expansion, it is designed for 45-70 and slower speeds. It has huge nose cavity. I know it expanded with those calf shots, you could see the exit hole just by walking to the side. Biggest problem will be to recover the bullet, if you want to see it after the shot.

·
Registered
Marlin 1895 GBL 45-70
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think I will do a video specifically on expansion, shooting ballistic gel, trying varying speed to finding the lowest f/s point that still gives proper expansion.

·
Registered
247 Posts
For me it is a purpose question. I looked at the survey and thought...250 TSX, yes...and 300 TSX, yes...oh and 250 FTX Monoflex...yes...If I was looking for the premier whitetail load I truly like the Barnes 250gr TSX. The reason is that they maintain minimal fragmentation upon impact resulting in less meat spoilage. I also really like the 300gr TSX but the ballistics characteristics for nearly any area I hunt are good but not the best. With the 250 I can be on cross-hairs out to 175 yards and have a 5" drop at 200 compared to 7" with the 300 so there is no reason not to use that bullet. If I am hunting anything beyond 200 I am probably not going to be using my favorite gun anyway. The 300gr TSX adds a little more wallop for black bear and mule deer and if I am after anything bigger than that I would be looking at something other than the TSX. Oh and our friend the Hornady Monoflex 250... That is for when I want to pretend to be a precision shooter with my 45-70 and kill paper. It will kill game for sure but I am just not a fan of the fragmentation I have experienced, also not my favorite to handload because of the case trim. For killing paper though that is the first bullet I could shoot MOA with from the bench so I keep some loaded just in case...:sneaky:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts