Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IMG_0557.JPG

Its been awhile since Iv been around. Life takes people in different directions. Anyway I popped in yesterday to respond to some birthday wishes. Turns out I pulled a tendon in my left bicep 2 weeks ago and got operated on yesterday for it so Iv had better birthdays, but I take what life throws at me in stride best as I can.

Anyway Im pretty sore and been stuck around the house. I can drive but have no place to go so I went out back for a bit. I live in a city in CT on Long Island sound and theres a tidal pond in my back yard. Its not city like right here but at 1/4 acre +/- my yard is big. A couple hundred yards away theres a cemetery dating to 1650 or so. People been here a long time and if you learn to look theres a lot you can find. Im quite certain that people were tossing things on the ground where we live in the 1650s & of course Native Americans before that. My wife is real good and finds things almost every time she really looks. Anyway, like I said I took a walk by the pond. its about a 4 foot drop from my yard to the pond & new stuff falls out all the time. Im walking along looking at the stuff my wife already put aside and I notice a little curved piece of rusty metal thats was instantly familiar. I haven't even gone downstairs & checked yet but if this isn't a Marlin hammer spring I'll be real surprised. Its not even sprung it doesn't look like. I need to dig above where I found it but it seems unlikely it would have fallen out if a whole gun was up there. Im kinda amazed and keep thinking I might have tossed it over the bushes but I know I didn't.

·
Registered
7,268 Posts
Sounds like a good place to take a metal detector.

Reactions: Maudite

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup, theres a lot there. We dug for a retaining wall and found colonial junk right next to 50 year old junk. She kayaked around the pond a couple weeks ago and came home with a clay marble, a musket ball and most of a quartz arrowhead.

·
Registered
7,268 Posts
Nice finds on the kayaking jaunt, but sounds like she got wet. Wouldn't those articles have been on the bottom?

And be real careful if she finds a gold ring...

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Most of the pond has sheer banks. About four feet by our house but on the other end it's twenty plus feet. Things just wash out. The musket all mightta come from a sling shot ten years ago or a colonist 200. The arrowhead was probably, in my mind anyway, launched at an animal passing under a waiting hunter. Once we figured out they actually used quartz here it's not hard to find them in good places. Being a hunter myself helps I think. I can imagine real easy sitting in the reeds at low tide waiting for a deer to come between me and the bank, or waiting on the bank itself. She doesn't dig much. I'll be looking above this spring but don't think I'll find much.
There's a bunch of offshore islands we find a lot of Indian things on. They are glacial moraines and some got hammered with hurricane Sandy. One called Shea island in particular has a high spot facing due south that got hammered. My wife found a full groove Neolithic axe head out there about 8 inches by 4 in perfect shape. It was about thirty yards from the current sheer bank but was likely on dry land not so long ago. People been here a long time.

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
Sorry to hear about the injury, Kenny, and welcome back! It sure looks like one of your springs. Been thinking I need to go back down south hunting. It's so hard to get in, though! It's been 3 years. Jack is 6 feet tall!

Years ago I went to a local lake and noticed something glistening in a recently worked field. It was just after a Spring rain. It was a piece of flint. A piece of a arrow head. I went on and found a half a shoe box full that day, (mostly they were intact), and have never found but bits and pieces ever since. Kind of funny the way that stuff comes to the surface sometimes.

·
Registered
400 Posts
After a good hard rain is a good time to look for those things. That's when I find all my arrowheads.

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Most of our arrowheads tend to be quartz around here. They used what they had I guess mostly. I saw pictures of Jack Dave and yeah, he aint little anymore. Connors about my height now but I don't think Im going to grow them as big as you do.
IMG_0011.jpg This is the axe head my wife found on that island. Its as I said about 8" long and over 4 tall. I can picture a big brawny Neanderthal type bashing skulls with it pretty easy. Its an assault rock!

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
I love finding things like that. Some of those stone implements could be thousands of years old. Takes you back in time.

·
Registered
11,600 Posts
I love that axe head, something special I would think. My youngest brother was good at finding arrowheads, and has a small box full of them. He used to tell me to look for a "high-ish" spot where you would likely see game pass below, and imagine you're an Indian that wants a nice place to sit and work on arrowheads while you wait at the same time. Often some they messed up a little, or dropped etc., over years of time can be found he said. He seemed to have a nose for it, LOL.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts