Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going out turkey hunting this weekend. I've not hunted them before.

Anybody got some good recipes? I sure hate ruining good game by poor cooking!

I'm going to be up in Klikitat County, Washington.

Seen lot's of turkeys up there during deer and elk seasons, so.......I hope hope to bring one home!

·
Registered
485 Posts
I slice the breast & season & flour & fry like chicken & the legs & thighs i boiled & then throwed in the oven with BBQ sauce on it & it was great. you can use it like any bird recipe but drop back on the amount of time it has very little fat & will dryout & be tough hope ya get a bigun & me another 1 also, :) mike

·
Registered
485 Posts
I slice the breast & season & flour & fry like chicken & the legs & thighs i boiled & then throwed in the oven with BBQ sauce on it & it was great. you can use it like any bird recipe but drop back on the amount of time it has very little fat & will dryout & be tough hope ya get a bigun & me another 1 also, :) mike

·
Registered
76 Posts
If you've never deep fried a turkey, then you owe it yourself to give it a try. If you can borrow a burner and pot, great. But if not, you can get a kit for $50-75, at ___-mart. It's instant gratification, as it only takes a 30 minutes or so, depending on the size of your bird, and it's really hard to screw up (just don't knock the pot over b/c it could really ruin your day). Well, seriously, it is pretty dangerous, so you have to watch what you are doing. Especially when you drop it in; it will bubble up, so be ready. The standard seasoning is an injected marinade, which may or may not come in your kit. You can pick whatever flavor you want; I'm sure recipes are all over the 'net. BTW, I'm not a turkey hunter, so I'm sorry if this would be considered a sacrilege or something.
Matt

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Just last night I smoked several drumsticks basting with bacon grease mixed with my choice of herbs and spices. Mighty flavorful!

·
Registered
957 Posts
I favor smoking. Get a charge of charcoal going in the common Brinkmann smoke and put the turkey on the top rack. Add 2-3 sizable chunks of hickory on top the charcoal. "bout every three hours add more hickory. Hickory smokes the turkey and turns into more charcoal as you go. Takes about 8 hours, but almost none of your time.

Smoked turkey makes a good meal the first day. Makes a mighty good sandwich, too, but what you really smoked it for was pot pie. When the turkey is about half eaten, pick off all the meat you can get, break the carcass up, and make stock. Slice a couple of big leeks, and about 3/4 pound of mushrooms. The real green part of the leeks and a few of the mushrooms go into the stock. Saute the leeks and mushrooms in butter and sprinkle in about 3 T of flour. When all that's cooked nice you add the turkey and a couple of cups of your stock. Add salt and pepper to taste at this stage.

Then all you need to do is make a batch of biscuit dough. Roll it out until it fits over the other stuff and bake at about 350 for half an hour.

·
Registered
5 Posts
knerr said:
If you've never deep fried a turkey, then you owe it yourself to give it a try.
I agree, deep fried turkey is Wonderful! My best friend, however, says that he prefers a brined, roasted turkey. He claims it's just as juicy, and lots less trouble. He's right that frying is more trouble, but I still love a good fried turkey!

·
Registered
97 Posts
When I smoke my turkeys I like to fill the cavity with some sweet white wine like Chablis. After you set the bird on the rack take a small cup and pour in some wine until it starts to overflow and smoke away. I typically cover the bird for the first 2 hours with foil to kinda steam the wine into the flesh. Very juicy!

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
I been hearing alot about both deep frying & smoking turkeys. May have to give t a try. I'v got a ground blind set up beside a deer trail & had 2 of them outside the tent thursday for a good half hour. They got as close as 10 yards & never spooked. If I'da had a tag I'd have a turkey. Got tags now, :p just hope they come back.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts