Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at a stainless Huntsman. It would be my first inline. It looks solidly yet simply built. What are the pros and cons of this rifle?

How well do they group at 100 yards?

How easy are they to clean when using 777 or Pyrodex pellets?

Any common problems or complaints?

Thanks.

Glenn in PA

·
Registered
489 Posts
All good questions GLC. I just bought one of these myself and am curious about what kind of replies you might get. This is my first muzzleloader and I chose the Huntsman for the same reasons that you listed, simple design and solid construction. I must admit that I don't know the first thing about muzzleloaders but I intend to have fun learning.

·
Registered
489 Posts
GLC, I pick-up my Huntsman today. I must say that one of the features that attrackted me to the rifle (removeable breech plug) has turned-out to be one of the biggest dissapointments due to the fashion in which it must be removed. The breach plug tool supplied with the rifle seems to be poorly designed and difficult to handle. I will probably end up modifying the one supplied or designing one myself. The front Williams Fire Sight was broken off completely when I took it out of the box. They seem somewhat flimsey and I'm hoping that NEF will send me a replacement. I may end-up switching over to a Williams peep sight since I like those better anyway. Now for the positive stuff which certainly outweighs the negative. The rifle operates very smoothly and locks-up even smoother. You can feel the quality in the firearm. Mine is the bottom of the line blued barrel but I was still impressed with the amount of material used to machine the breech and barrel. The wood is a much higher grade that I ever expected. I really liked the ramrod which is of a higher quality than what I expected. Overall, the rifle exhibited a much higher level of craftmanship than I ever expected for a rifle in this price range. Even with the couple of negative comments I still think it's a very good value for the money. Once I work through these couple of little kinks I think I'll enjoy shooting this rifle very much.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Mojo^ said:
The front Williams Fire Sight was broken off completely when I took it out of the box. They seem somewhat flimsey and I'm hoping that NEF will send me a replacement.
One call to NEF is all it took and three minutes later they were sending me a replacement front sight at no charge and no questions asked. You can't beat that for customer service! I guess you could put great customer service in to the positive catagory as to why to buy a Huntsman.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses MOJO^.

I posted this so long ago and no one responded to it that I forgot about it.

Let me know how it shoots.

Thanks.

GLC.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Not a lot of traffic around here for sure. Maybe it will pick up as hunting seasons near.

I bought a Sidekick (Huntsman without interchangeable barrels) and like it alot. Accuracy is very promising. Great trigger. Only downside so far is with 260 grain sabots and 120 grains BP I'm nearing the end of the sight elevator to zero 1" high at 50 yards. Might need a peep too.

·
Registered
39 Posts
convince me to buy a huntsman

I have owned a huntsman for some time. The first thing to do is modify the breech plug wrench. I welded mine inside a half inch drive socket. The next thing is to make sure to coat the threads of the breech plug with super lube 1000 and do not overtorque the breech plug! Just snug is fine. The best load I have found for mine is a 260 gr. 45 cal handgun bullet by speer. The sabots are made by magnum muzzleloading I believe. I use 100 grains of pyrodex. The load shoots well.

·
Registered
562 Posts
My new Huntsman barrel just showed up via UPS yesterday. It's the 24" stainless barrel. For the price I think it is an excellent muzzleloader. I'm sure there's better ones out there - but not at that price. The fitted barrel cost me $115.00 including shipping. That's for an American made in-line barrel using quality steel - not some cheap Spanish import. I'm impressed with the fit, finish, and quality of machining.

I think the supplied firesights on the gun are excellent. I have heard the plastic light pipes on the firesights are somewhat prone to breakage. Can you replace the pipes without replacing the whole sight? I did get a Williams WGRS rear peep sight for it. NEF sells this peep sight for $18! I don't think you are going to beat that price anywhere. The barrel is already drilled and tapped for a scope mount and the peep sight just screws into the rear two scope mount holes.

The ramrod that comes with the rifle is serviceable for field use but a bit flimsy and cumbersome for alot of shooting at the range.

On the downside, NEF forgot to send the breach plug wrench and primer carriers when they sent the rifle. I called them and they said they'd send it right out.

Alot of guys buy an aftermarket breech plug that uses a 25 ACP pistol case for the primer. I guess that breech plug is supposed to be alot easier to get in and out.

I haven't had mine out to the range so I don't know how it shoots, yet. Most other owners I've heard from report that the Huntsman is very accurate with just about anything you can shoot in it. That's the most important thing, right? We'll see.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts