Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a couple of 44/40 1894 CB's at a local shop in mint condition. I'm interested in the guns but not the caliber. Was just wondering if the barrel steel is the same as the 44 mag? If so, would it be possible to have a smith cut the oversize portion of the 44/40 chamber off and then re-thread the barrel and chamber it for the 44 mag? From what I've seen, the barrel dimensions for the 44/40 are closer to what the 44 mag should be without having to cast .432 to .434 projectiles. Just curious cause they also have a couple of 336 CB's that are in calibers that I am interested in and at a lower price.

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
The steel is the same. I dont know its worth it to have all that work done to make it a 44. You could probably find someone to swap barrels.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's another thought. I remember somewhere that there is site that sells Marlin barrels. I'll check into doing that if I do get the gun. Good suggestion.

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Numrich gun parts often has barrels.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I'm looking for a 44-40.

If there is a extra how about throwing me a line on how to find it?

Matt

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Miller6457, if you are serious I can try to find out more info on the guns. They are in New Jersey at a dealer but I know he does sell out of state for some guns who list at different sites. Not sure when I will be in that area but I can get all the details when I do go by.
Let me know. Will be away for a few days so it will be awhile before I can respond.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Yes I'm looking for 24", uncheckered preferred, I don't know if the 44-40 came that way, but let me know the price, payment options. My email is [email protected].

Matt Miller

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts