Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI folks,
I have a meeting, in June, with a contractor to start the building of a garage with an apartment, on my property near Iva, SC..

While doing some research on this contractor, I found that he has several complaints from the BBB, against him. There are also several positive comments about him on another web site. All of the negative comments came in the last year. As a result, I am unsure of using his company.

Do any of you in northwestern SC or northeastern GA have any suggestions for a builder?

Due to the rather remote location, and the fact that I am not building a full size house, I am concerned about not finding a quality builder.

Thanks for any responses,
Andrew

Reactions: turbobug

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I can't suggest anyone in your area. However, here's a tip: In SC county court records are available online, and a quick name search of a contractor in his main working area can tell you a bunch. You will see lawsuits filed against him buy suppliers, subcontractors, customers, etc., as well as lawsuits he may have filed. It's funny, but some of the best contractors have very few if any lawsuits filed against them, while lousy contractors are sued constantly...

You can also check with the SC Dept. of Labor, Licensing and Regulations in their Residential Builders section (in Columbia, and have an online website). They can tell you if a builder is licensed, what complaints have been filed against his license, and what violations may have been found.

Public records are MUCH more reliable and informative than any online reviews or ratings.

·
Super Moderator
12,709 Posts
I'm in a completely different situation but am looking at building out a half million dollar business over the next year. Rule number one is to start with detailed architectural drawings and to have at least 3 contractors bid on the job. This along with reviews is much better than using somebody via word of mouth.

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
I am just retired from that . Talk to the building official in the town were this guy has his office. Also ask for at least three former clients names and call them. Tell him you want to see a copy of his license and insurance certificate , liability and workmans comp.

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I talked to a building inspector for city that this contractor has done jobs in. The inspector stated that they have had issues in past work done by the contractor.
I also looked up the civil court records, as was suggested by Pisgah. There were numerous cases, ranging from private party suits to banks.
I will be breaking off the relationship with my present choice of a contractor.
Now, I need to start all over again, but at least I will not be worrying about half done work or lost funds.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ask for references and check those references before selecting any contractor.
Good advice.
I have been calling the county building inspectors where several different contractors are located and sling the inspectors if they have had any issues with the work done by these contractors. So far two have been clear of any issues and have been in business for 20 plus years.
Now, I just need to get references from them along with there proof of insurance, etc.
Andrew

Reactions: papajohnabi
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.