Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
mm93 etc..................

I've been at a AAU basketball tournament all day so haven't had time to REALLY research a good trivia question for you but here is one for the meanwhile.

Which pre WW1 Marlin leveraction was manufactured in a small amount of smoothbore shotgun chamberings??????????????????????????

The clock is ticking.....................

Geoff

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
I think 4 eyed buck's right.

Seems I remember hearing about someone shooting 410 shot shells from a 45/70. I dont have any to measure but I woulda thought theyd be a pretty loose fit. Isn't a 410 a .410 bore?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Me-thinks Four-Eyed Buck is right.
For all his eyeballs he see's this one pretty clearly.
WB

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Me thinks Buck is wrong, as the model .410 didn't come out until 1929, not pre WWI.
I think it's the model 1891, which was available in caliber .22-50 Shot. This was the same length as a standard .22 LR, but loaded with "dust shot".

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
While he doesnt state bore size, Phil Sharps book says the 1893 take down had a smooth bore barrel available for those who liked to take small game without the mutalation caused by a big bore shotgun. Introduced 1894 - discontinued 1916.

Correction, he states that the smooth bore barrels could be had in almost any calibre at the same price as a rifled barrel.

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
I'd really hate to argue with Phil Sharpe's book about anything, as he is a respected author, but I think he might be mistaken on this one.
Marlin offered shot cartridges in every caliber made during the time frame mentioned, from .22 short to .45-70, in all models, but from looking at all my pre WWI era Marlin catalogs, I can't find but one listing for a smoothbore barrel. The only gun I found listed as having a smoothbore barrel available was the model 1891 Marlin.
By chance, the only smoothbore lever action Marlin I've ever encountered was a model 1891. My moto is nothing is impossible when it comes to old Marlins, but I sure can't find evidence of it.

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
MM93,

This wouldnt be the first incorrect tidbit I found there. Seems he musta been human too. :wink:

·
Registered
397 Posts
Pre WWI.
I hang my head in shame.
A child of 5 would know that the Model 1893 .410 wasn't offered until the late '20's.
Sorry Buck. I geuss we both blew it on that one.
WB

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey guys, I hope I didn't lead us all astray! I thought mm93 would bail me out with the answer!!!!!

All I was referring to was in Flaydermans regarding the Marlin 1881 it tells the factory records of how many were made in each caliber then how many of each barrel length then it says and I quote:
"A total of 13 were manufactured as original smoothbore shotguns."

mm93 has educated me once again, the fact that Marlin offered shot cartridges in many different calibers. So the above mentioned 1881 shotguns must have been just smoothbore versions meant to be used with say a .45-70 shot cartridge.

I was just at a loss to come up with something to stump mm93 so this was a real curve ball. Even if we all continue educating ourselves, mm93 will always find all the rare gun good buys!

Someone else come up with another one of these questions. Mine was probably too obscure. They sure are fun though.

Thanks,

Geoff

·
Registered
496 Posts
Hi Geoff

I was going to post about the 1881 smoothbores. You beat me to it. Parley

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
I guess we all stand corrected! I too had forgotten about the small number of special order 1881 smoothbores! I have not seen one, but they are in the records. As I mentioned, I have actually seen the 1891 .22 smoothbores.
This is really a great little game, as we all get to learn more about old Marlins! Looks like we're going to have to dig deeper to keep this going!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts