Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering two 1894C rifles in .357. If I buy one it will be my first of that model Marlin (and they are both Marlins with JM proofmarks.) Anything peculiar to the 1894 I need to watch for?

Thanks,
zw

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
I am considering two 1894C rifles in .357. If I buy one it will be my first of that model Marlin (and they are both Marlins with JM proofmarks.) Anything peculiar to the 1894 I need to watch for?

Thanks,
zw
Yes, why anybody would want to sell theirs. :flute:

Seriously, not ever heard of anything to watch for except operator caused damage. Do the typical checks for operation (take a dummy round or two with you), bore/crown damage, etc. The 357 is pretty easy on the rifle so I can't imagine any recoil induced stock damage, etc. There never really was any flaws in that model that I have heard of. The only issues are sometimes the timing was off but no more than any run of the mill 336 or 1895.

About the only significant difference in the range of years of manufacture was stock checkering or not, and the front sight mounting (dovetailed vs ramp style).

·
Premium Member
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

·
Banned
1,761 Posts
I've heard that some don't like 38 specials, but both of mine (1894 & 1894CP) like anything that they're fed (and they're hungry).

I think the 357 really shines in a rifle-length barrel.

Brocky

Reactions: BFPGW

·
Registered
22 Posts
ZW, I'm right up 360 in Euless & I bought a '94c .357 (circa 1980) a few months ago that you're welcome to handle/shoot anytime you like.. Skinner peep should be here in the next few days!

T

(Have a '94 Cowboy in 44mag as well that you're welcome to...)

·
Registered
567 Posts
ZW, I'm right up 360 in Euless & I bought a '94c .357 (circa 1980) a few months ago that you're welcome to handle/shoot anytime you like.. Skinner peep should be here in the next few days!

T

(Have a '94 Cowboy in 44mag as well that you're welcome to...)

Are you the T-Bone of the Dooley Klan in SASS?

..........Widder

·
Premium Member
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
T-bone - deal! PM on the way.

Reactions: Brocky

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
My older one (stamped 357) is really a 357 only. My 2001 model (stamped 38 and 357) shoots both. Doesn't matter as long as you read the barrel and understand that the guy who stamped it was probably right...

·
Premium Member
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Both sold before I could get them. Still watching.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts