Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel my .44 mag is lonley and needs a younger and smaller sibling. I plan to look for a new born or prehaps one with a couple of years on it but in new condition. I'm leaning towards the .357 in the cowboy action as I like the looks of the octagon barrel. I may just stay with the regular barrrel if the price is right. What is a good price for a new one and what is a good price for a used one in new condition of each model? There are not a lot of gun shops around this area that carry lever guns in this caliber. I will look at some gun shows and on gunbroker.com.

I have a mould that will cast a 148gr BBWC. Will this feed through the lever action or do I have to use a round nose bullet?

Will I get excessive leading with the BBWC since it does not have a gas check if I am loading at mid-velocities?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Either flavor of Marlin .357 will work fine for you. I already had an 1894C, but just had to get an 1894CB in .357 because I wanted that "cowboy look;" I ended up recently trading it away to get another 1894C. I have since sworn off buying any gun because I want something that simply looks "cool"... every time I pay a premium for appearance, I end up with buyer's remorse.

30-odd years of that is enough! :<)

More importantly, I decided that I much prefered the shorter barrel, although others would disagree and say the balance of the longer ones is better. I'd sure recommend that you try and swing an example of each around a bit before you commit to one or the other (if your .44 has a 20" tube then the current Cowboy will probably feel natural). I also appreciate the rubber buttpad and QD swivel studs of the 1894C. A lot of folks could care less about such things, but they make my day better.

I have never had any leading problems with my 1894C, which might just be dumb luck. I do, however, shoot mostly jacketed bullets, so I'm not putting it to the test on that one.

Around here, I have seen the 1894C at about $475 and the 1894CB around $650, but those are the lowest prices I've noticed lately, and the rest of them creep up to about list (I'm talking about gunshow AND storefront prices). If I'm painting a distorted picture, someone on the forum will correct it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts