Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering buying a 454 Casull. I think it will be the survivor in the 460 Smith, 475 and 500 Linebaugh, 480 Ruger, 500 Smith crowd.

The ammo is available at a reasonable price, for about the cost of many rifle calibers. Brass is easily available and sells for a reasonable price. I reload.

But I don't need one. It would only be for grins and giggles and paper punching. This would never be carried in the field either for hunting or for protection.

I'm very comfortable shooting my 44 mag revolvers--both with the recoil and accuracy, I have hunted successfullt with my 44 mags.

How many of you who have 454 Casulls would buy one again if you had it to do over? I'm not talking about bear protection and/or large animal--elk, moose, bear hunting--just those who shoot it for "fun"?

And which one would you buy next time or instead?. The same one or from a different manufacturer? Freedom Arms 83, Ruger Redhawk, or Taurus Raging Bull? And why?

I admit the Freedom Arms is a work of art, but I've heard it's the most difficult of the three revolvers to shoot well, and the most uncomfortable. What say?

·
Registered
129 Posts
The only 454’s I have, and have fired, are FA’s. Yes they are a work of art and yes I would definitely buy another. Most accurate revolver I’ve ever owned. Full loads in the 454 were “fun” when I first got one several years ago but more enjoyable with my reloads toned down a bit. Never heard the FA as being the most difficult to shoot.

A Ruger would probably be a good gun. I would have a hard time trusting 60K psi loads for very long in a Taurus. I hear really good things about the Magnum Research BFR 454.

Mine get used primarily for hunting.

Dan

·
Premium Member
3,020 Posts
I like big bore revolvers also... I have the ruger Alaskan 454 casull an I wouldn’t think about partin ways with it. Yes it’s a handful, but very manageable. BTW to have such a short barrel, it’s very accurate.

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
Since my accident breaking my wrist in two places I can hardly shoot my 44 mag. I was about to pull the trigger on a 480 Ruger. Be it as it may my favorite is the 41 mag. You cannot go wrong with any of the revolvers you mentioned. A gun builder I know mostly uses Ruger’s for customizations but he said new Taurus’s are very good too. Ruger s are Tough and affordable too. FA is quality and tough too.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I owned a .44 mag Taurus Raging Bull. It was a great handgun and I regret letting it go. The weight of the gun (close to 2kg) and the great grips made the gun very 'shootable'.

The price is also very attractive compared to the others, but be prepared to spend a few dollars getting the trigger smoothed out. Rough trigger is common on these, but an easy fix.

·
Super Moderator
10,593 Posts
If you decide on the FA 454 the model 83 field grade is pretty pricey now. I bought mine when they had a special run of 100 ---it had "Kodiak Express" on the barrel and it came with black Micarta grips. Also was factory Magna-ported. At the time I bought mine they were 1200 bucks. I also have 2 custom 500 Linebaugh pistols-----one made by John Linbaugh and a 2nd one made by John Gallagher. Both are made on a Ruger Bisley grip frame. I still want to have one made by Hamilton Bowen but I need to save up for that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts