Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To start out, I am the guy people get to help them sight in their rifles and have done it dozens of times over the years.
Took my new to me 336 Texan out yesterday to sight in. We had a shooting bench with a duffle bag and a rolled up hoddie for a rest. I started with Remington 150 gr Core Locks. Took 1 shot at 25yds, adjusted the scope, then another shot and got close. Moved to 100yds and within a few shots had a nice 2 inch group that was 3 inches high and perfectly centered. I was happy!
Proceeded to Hornady 160 gr Lever Revolution roads. First shot was dead center and 3 inches high...yaaaay! After this though every freaking shot was not even on paper. Stopped and checked all scope mounting screws, everything was tight.
I quit as my wife and I had to leave but left the rifle and ammo with my buddy to keep going. No luck with him trying either.
The scope is a Nikon Pro Staff 2x7x36. I am wondering if the reticle is moving. We were moving 40 plus 1/4 clicks at 100 yds and it was still spraying bullets 1 ft off.
I've had bad days were I could only get a 3 inch group, but not like this.
Any suggestions?
Edit.
I did swap back to the Core Locks and could not get a group with them either.
I did not check the stock to reciever screw.

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
Couple of questions...

How much time between shots?

When you say a rolled up hoody for a rest, where is the hoody at, relative to the receiver? And, is it in the same place each time?

Rather than spraying bullets all over at 100 yards, did you try moving the target set back to 25 or 50 yards for an indication of any kind of pattern (or grouping) after things went haywire?

What kind of shape is the bore in? Could there be an issue of severe copper fouling?

You say you checked the scope mounting screws, is that to mean the scope rings only? What about the scope mount itself?

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Sounds to me like start from begining check and re-check everything.. from the way you describe what happend I would take my first guess as scope crosshair issue

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DWB said:
Couple of questions...

How much time between shots?
10 to 15 seconds between shots, longer if reloading. The barrel did get hot to the touch

When you say a rolled up hoody for a rest, where is the hoody at, relative to the receiver? And, is it in the same place each time?
The forearm was on a duffle bag. The rear of the stock is where the hoddie was rolled up to set the elevation. Pretty close to the same location.

Rather than spraying bullets all over at 100 yards, did you try moving the target set back to 25 or 50 yards for an indication of any kind of pattern (or grouping) after things went haywire?
Yes, Immeadiatley went to 25yds and did the 40 or so clicks to get it back to hitting the bulleye. I did not however shot a 3 to 5 shot group at 25 yrds to see a group pattern.

What kind of shape is the bore in? Could there be an issue of severe copper fouling?
I did a visual and the bore looks shiney. I did a good cleaning before shooting with Hoppes beforehand until the patch was clean.

You say you checked the scope mounting screws, is that to mean the scope rings only? What about the scope mount itself?
I used a windage adjustable set of Millet steel rings and checked/retorqued both the rings and the 4 clamping screws. The base is a single rail Weaver type that I used blue Locktight on the 4 base screws. I did not pull the scope off and check the base.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I think I would pull the scope and see if the rifle groups with the iron sites. If it did, then maybe try the scope on another rifle or another scope on this rifle.

·
Banned
2,593 Posts
Pard,

There are quite a few post from me concerning bad lots of LeverE ammo. I don't shoot it anymore because it started spraying like hell. Mine were indeed up to a foot off at a hundred. I switched to Winchester Powermax PHP and never looked back. Hornady told me on the phone they don't recommend LeverE for microgroove barrels and I promptly told them I have been swearing by the stuff for four years until now. Its BAD lots of ammo !. Its only the 160 grainers.

My buddy listened to me complaining and bought a case colored Winchester 94 off a guy for a hundred bucks because it wouldn't shoot straight. He noticed the guy shooting LeverE. The Winchester shoots accurate with regular ammo.

The stuff shoots great in my Ballard 35's and .450 Marlin.

Since you switched back to other ammo and couldn't get it to group, I don't know.

Goodluck!

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
Change the rings. I had a set of those Millet rings on a Nikon ProStaff 3-9X40. They would "walk" along the Weaver base. You check the screws and they are tight, but start shooting and the rings are moving. I got rid of them, put on a set of Weaver Quad-Locks and haven't had a problem since. I also think the Millet rings put a torque on your scope. They don't call them "Mangle-Locs" for nothing.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Don't the rings sit in the slots on the weaver rail?I have used millett rings on my turkey gun and scoped 44 magnum without loss of zero.My guess is get another scope,even quality brands have lemons.

·
Registered
317 Posts
The LE powder is HOT.Had a similar "problem" with both my 338mx and my 1895MR.With little time between shots the barrel was hot and shots were all over the place.After coolin of about 30 minutes they both were in an inch at 100 yards.Might not be your problem but give it a try.

·
Banned
430 Posts
Anytime you use "Weaver Style" bases and rings, you should be using the rings with the cross slot that fits in the base cross slot cutouts.

If you have a rifle that sprays more than 2" at a hundred when hot, get rid of it because its a POS.

·
Premium Member
4,170 Posts
That's a preatty good scope you have...I'd definatly try differant type of "Weaver" style rings (not angle-loc's) before giving up/sending back for repair...only then, maybe.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
You have tried 150 grain corelokts, but they didn't work. You tried the Lever Evolution, and they didn't work. You have yet to try a 170 grain standard like the power points or the corelokts. The Marlin 336 is notorious for loving the 170's.

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
have an 1973 336 in 30-30.... will shoot 5/8 group with that ever you put in it........ I have also an 1989 336 in 30-30... Will shoot handloads in either 150 -170 gr all day... Production ammo.. only will shoot Winchester 170 gr silvertips... BUt it will shoot on heck of a group with the lever gummy ammo..... mmmmmmm about 12" or so....... Go back to your factory ammo and shoot a group before changing anything....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys.
After reading the replies and thinking back, the barrel was getting much hotter when using the Hornady stuff. I am going to do the following per suggestions.
Change the rings to a set of Warne QD...wanted those anyway
Pick up and try some 170gr from other manufacturers.
Let the barrel cool between groups.
I'll post re the results.
Porter

·
Banned
400 Posts
Second on trying the irons with both kinds of ammo, then the same with the scope and new mounts. Isolate the problem from the root up, not the branches down.

·
Administrator
23,795 Posts
Take the time before your next range session to clean the bore for copper fouling.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I would go back to a 25 yard to 50 yard zero and not only zero the scope but make sure the iron sights are zeroed too. I recently was sighting in my 30-30 at 100 yrds after zeroing at 25. I was quite irriated to find that the scope had clarity issues at 100 yards and I honestly had a better group with my iron sights over the scope at 100 yards. I pulled the scope and put it on my daughters 22 where ranges will not exceed 25 to 50 yards. I picked up another scope, however, the weather has been to nasty for me to zero it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Went to Gander and they had a set of Luepold QD steel rings, so picked those up. Also picked up a bottle of Hoppes #9 copper solvent and will follow the suggestions above.
Thanks again!
Porter

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
Don't know if it's too late since you just made a trip to Gamder Mtn, but if you suspect thy the rings are moving, try marking the rings with something like a Sharpie marker, white out, nail polish, chalk etc. Fire it and see if your rungs are slipping.

I dont jnow the history of it but it could also be you scope calling it quits.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts