Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to get this off my chest,I have been in the past and uncontrolably even now...yes even as I type this an admirer of ..choke choke .sob...MAUSERS!...BUT this week I hit bottom... when I picked up my .32 spl.....I...also found....this is hard for me ...and put away a ....Mod.54 winchester in. 270 made in 1927-$295.00 now its said please forgive me I couldn't help myself it was just so much like a Mauser.Shootrj2003

·
Registered
77 Posts
Nothing to be ashamed of, I feel your pain. Actually I have more Mausers than Marlins. There's a M54 with a Lyman 48 at a local shop I go to but it's priced way higher that that, good find.

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
I only have one Mauser receiver on a 6mm-284, I have 3 remingtons, a Merimack Ballard, and 40 or so Marlins. I enjoy them all. Confession time I wook a wrenchester in trade at the last show and had people lever it and then lever a Marlin. Mine is the Canadian Centenial in 30-30. Will trade it or sell it at the next show I am sure. Nice engraving, just not a Marlin.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a weakness for mausers my self. The cheap surplus 8mm ammo makes it hard to resist.After studying Peter Paul's design it's hard not to lust after Mausers.

The worst mistake was getting a C+R FFL. The Mausers have really multiplied since then.

Henry t

·
Registered
200 Posts
My dark side passion are Lee Enfield .303s. I own several older military rifles of various origins. They are not all beautiful, but they are shooters and I love to make the old guns speak again. I own several SKS rifles and Russian Nagant Carbines. It is hard for me to walk by a gun with a price tag of $100.00 or less if I don't already own one.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Thats all.. HELL I thought you were going to say your a cross dresser or something.. :lol:

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for understanding,I feel better now.Gunjunkie, :D :shock: If I was I would never confess it to this crowd!Shootrj2003

·
Registered
736 Posts
shootrj,

I had the same inclination at the last show when I ran across an old all-original M54 30 Gov't '06 in excellent condition. Also bought an old (NIB) Redfield peep with target knobs at the same show. They sure make a sweet pair. Like you, I view the M54 as an "American Mauser sporter." Or, said another way, an "affordable Mauser sporter." It is sooo much lighter and trimmer than my 1948 M70. With the Redfield sight and the low comb and heel, a scope would just not be right and would ruin the sweet feel. The M70 feels like a club - I would scope that. I know, I know, calling an old M70 a "club" is sacriledge, but that's how I feel, even though it feeds and cycles rounds through like greasy sausages. The M54 is just as smooth, even with the 2-stage trigger. Can you imagine how awkward an M54 would be with that low comb and a scope mounted high enough to clear the safety wing? Ick. It would be like a sweet Marlin levergun with a big scope in see-through mounts like so many guys have. Double-ick. First thing I do when I rescue a sweet Marlin like that is take the scope off, pitch the see-thrus, and shelve the scope for a future bolt action. I could probably recover a few bucks by selling the mounts, but I prefer not to propagate the species, as it were. Dig? :D

Next on the list is my buddy's 1926 Savage 99A in 30WCF. Now THERE'S a sweety! You guessed it - it has a scope on it - but not for long. ;)

So you see, you're not alone in your affliction. It's alright to love other guns. Just never forsake your Marlins and you'll be okay. I knew a guy that did that once - he's not been heard from since. :shock:

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have many other rifles other than Marlins too. What I don't have is an Enfield. Where can I learn what Model is the ONE to get?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the only problems with this"54" are that it was drilled and tapped and some body refinished the stock they did it good ,but ,they did it .it has a peepsight on it which mounts on the cocking piece .I'm not sure where i've see it before but I have seen that type somewhere ,is that a factory sight?It looks good like it belongs there.Sorry I got to Virginia I'll check this when I get back.Shootrj2003

1 - 10 of 10 Posts