Marlin Firearms Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
I broke a transfer bar on a .17hmr, total loss of firing of course. Wasn't that bad to change, made a jig from wood to drive the pins out, used a nail cut down to hold everything in place. As I recall finding the right transfer bar was hardest.

·
Registered
12,985 Posts
I would sell off all the H&R/ NEF firearms of that generation. I never could see why people like them. The older H&Rs are quality made and most will function 100yrs and handed down through the generations. Single barrel shotguns of American make were all decent guns until the big corporations took over. I guess guys that aren't old enough to have been around when quality singles were made don't know what Im talking about. They could only make single barrels so cheap and when they could import $99 pumps it was the end.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
So did you find any thing out?
as it turned out, I have a good friend who retired from engineering a few years ago, and he’s a long time gun-nut. Probably owns more guns and the widest variety of anyone I ever knew. He’s a pretty good gun tinkerer, and he fixed my gun for $20. Never a mis-fire since.

i can’t really explain what he did but it had something to do with the hammer. Dont quote me, but had to grind off the face slightly so it would get a better hit on the transfer bar/firing pin.

all I know is I was plagued with mis-fires and I’ve had zero since he fixed it.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts