Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now I am starting the research process on a conceled carry weapon. I am open to almost anything other than an auto pistol, and I would like to have somting in a .357mag or larger if it is possible :?: . Second a holster idea that would work even if in a pair of shorts and a t-shirt if possible. Any ideas would be welcome, thank you all.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Ruger's SP101 might be a good choice. Does S&W make a small 357 these days? I had a Model 19 with a 2-1/2" barrel, but it wasn't exactly tiny. I am pretty scrawny. At one time I carried a Firestar with an IWB holster and it stuck out like a sore thumb. Here, in the winter time, I could carry anything under my parka! Otherwise, I am inclined toward small autos, either in my pocket or IWB. Good luck!

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
I like the Walther PPK 380.. function perfect and accurate.. slim and can wear just about with anything with IWB holster.. Its too small for my hands, but I liked the way it carried.. With good ammo ,, its great for an always gun..

You don't care for autos.. I would look at Taurus CIA revolvers.. (CIA Carry It Alwasys.. their marketing slogan.. )

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies, I realize that what I want and what is possible are not going to match up very well. The reason that I am not open to the idea of an auto one is because of the cartridges that they most commonly come in 9mm, .40, & .45 ACP. I have looked at the Ruger SP-101 and a whole mess of Taurus revolvers and still I have no idea :? . I guess the best question I could ask now is, how large of a handgun is to large to conceal with summer clothing on a farily large person?. If I had an idea of what is "to Large" that would give me more to go on. Thanks again.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I currently have four concealed carry options. The only revolver I have is an older S&W Model 36 in 38spl. As you can see, it is very comparable to the others for size and concealability. I have grown very attached to this little revolver.....wouldn't think of letting it go!

As others have mentioned, there are other choices.....all good.

Top to bottom are Seecamp .25acp, Smith model 36 38spl, Bulgarian Makarov 9x18, Kahr K40 .40s+w.

hog

·
Banned
41 Posts
Concealed carry gun

I have a S&W 696 .44 sp. 5 shot (S&W HAS Discontinued this gun) It's a really nice gun and the .44 sp is a good defense cartridge. If you have forgiven S&W for caving in to the Clinton Administration (I haven't as yet) they have the 686 .44 sp 5 shot made out of titanium (I Think) that would make an excellent concealed carry gun.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Re: Concealed carry gun

Bucolic Buffalo said:
If you have forgiven S&W for caving in to the Clinton Administration (I haven't as yet)
You really ought to let that one go, BB. Smith is no longer owned by the English company that made the deal with the devil! The terms of the agreement are no longer valid. Darn near all gun owners, these days, have realized that the new Smith and Wesson company (now American owned once again) has nothing to do with that bad Clinton deal.

Come on back! Smith is making some mighty fine firearms these days, and you should support them.....I, and most other informed gunowners do!

hog

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I got a Glock 27 for CC but it's frigin fat with that double stack magazine. Then I got a Kimber .45 Ultra CDP, need to get leather for it, but I like it better than the glock. It's slimmer, more powerful, and points better. I like revolvers, but I favor small autos for concealed carry.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am still looking, found nothing yet that I am set on buying. The S&W model 60 Stainless in .357 is the front runner right now. I have tossed the idea of a small 10mm around a little, I really doubt I will go with an auto but it is a very remote possibility. I want a weapon that I would feel comfortable hauling around with me that can handle bad weather and rough conditions with minimal maintnence. I am still open to any ideas.

·
Banned
41 Posts
Concealed Carry

Hogship I know that they are American owned. I would consider coming back to S&W only when the new ownership proves to me that they are not going to stab us in the back. They have a lot of proving and Rearend kissing to do to get me to come back. I'll only recommened the little .44 mag they make on the condition that the person I give the recommendation to knows that the ownership of S&W whether past or present once caved into the Clinton Administration. I'll let them decide if they want to support S&W.

·
Registered
183 Posts
You got that right, 35hunter.....

It's really hard to say anything bad about the Makarov.....it's so well designed, accurate, and reliable that it's better than many pistols costing two or three times as much. If I can't be dead sure that it'll go bang when it's needed, I get rid of it. I haven't, so I am! I carry mine in a Don Hume IWB holster.....really impressed with it.

It's the best $500 pistol you can buy for $150 !

hog

·
Registered
26 Posts
WyoXJ,

Check your state laws on conceal carry. Some states have crazy stuff on the books. You won't need a gun with a long barrel. Most incidences happen with in 10 ft of your person. So if you were to draw your weapon it will be a point and shoot situation. There's not going to be much time to aim. When I took my class in SC, the instructor said that if the perpetrator is more than 21 ft, the "Jury" might find you guilty because you were not in immediate danger of bodily harm. You have time to retreat.

I use a .38 spl., 2" barrel, 5 shot DA revolver.

·
Registered
70 Posts
WyoXJ:

If you are dead set against an auto and require a revolver, S&W came out with an extrememly lightweight "AirLite" series during the last few years. I played with one and was very impressed with the compactness and LIGHT weight. Titanium means everything.

I can't remember the model number of the one I played with, but here is a link to the enclosed hammer double action model (there are other models):

http://www.firearms.smith-wesson.com/store/index.php3?cat=293600&item=831388&sw_activeTab=1

At 12 ounces and 5 rounds of .357 Mag, you aren't going to find a better weight:lethality ratio anywhere (I think).

Here's another link to the S&W AirLite line:

http://www.firearms.smith-wesson.com/page/p2pl/AirLite_Sc.html

By the way, S&W makes excellent products.
(Yes, I'm a long time S&W fan.)

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
cmar, I have have been researching the Wyoming laws and so far I have yet to come across and wierd or crazy laws or regulations.........so far, I am also really surprised at how few laws and regulations I have found. There are just a few common sense laws such as where is off limits even if you have a CCP.

Oldsmoke, I am not "dead set" against an auto, mostly do not like the cartridges they come in...... well I kinda like the 10mm. After thinking it over I cannot think of one advantage that an auto would have over a revolver other than reload time. If I need more than 6 rounds, I figure I have already lost the fight. Thank you for the link to the airlights those are right in there as far as what I want, thank you.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I have several I could carry in Smith, Colt, Ruger, and Taurus. but the one I am most likely to slip in my back pocket is my S&W 642. It has a concealed hammer so is quick out of the pocket without catching the hammer, it only weights 15 oz empty. It's a 38+P and I think that is fine considering how miserable the 12 oz gun is to shoot with 357 mag. I can't remember which gunwriter said that the S&W 340 was the most miserable gun he had shot. the 642 will slip into the front or back pocket easily. That's why I got it. I also carry it.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I agree with you, BearPaw - I also carry a S&W 642 with me most of the
time. I think it strikes the right balance of weight, concealability, and power
that I carry it more often where I go. I though of the 340 Scandium in
357 Mag as well, but they just aren't pleasant at all to shoot with
Mag loads (and I prefer to practice alot with what I carry). The ultra
lightweight 340s also impose restrictions on bullet weight, as you can
have bullets pulling out of the cases under recoil with that little cannon.
The 642 might not be perfect, but it certainly works well enough for me.
If I need to carry a 357, I'll use my GP100 which is not painful to shoot
at all.

If you do get a snubbie, be sure to get alot of practice !

·
Registered
2 Posts
I might get flack for this from the masters, but I recommend the GLOCK.
They have the best selection for you to choose whats right for you. You want .45? There are 4 to choose from...basically small, medium, and large. Some might think..smaller pistol..less accuracy. Not true with glock..its the shooter. The G36 is a "slim line" .45, small for concealled carry (slide length 6.7"), 6 rnd cap. Friend of mine put 5 rnds in 2 inch circle at 25 meters (the "enemy" sillouette was scaled for 175m target) with the G36, now thats alot of stopping power!!...the G30 , .45, same size as G36 but carries 10 rnd mag....the G21 (my choice), .45, largest of the glock in .45, 7.6" long and 10 or 13 rnd mags. Theres also the G37...made from G17..7.3" , .45, 10 rnd mag..slimmer then G21 but almost same length. Hope this helps brother!!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Actually for a "pop" gun I really like Glock, its nothing like a Kimber but all in all they are comfartable for me and I seem to shoot them well. My problem is still in the cartridges that they come in, though I have thought about the 10mm. Still not sure about what to do, I am getting frusterated. My biggest problem is I have no idea how large a handgun is to large to comfortably conceal, I am a little larger than the average man so hopfully that will give me more options.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts