Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this question comes up a lot all over the place. here is a short video with some good rules of thumb...

http://imomags.com/gunsandammo/2011/05/27/tips-when-stopped-by-police/

one comment below the video asked about getting the license and permit out when it is carried in your wallet, as most people dont have it readily available in their vest pocket. typically, you have a minute or two before the officer gets to the window. here is what i do in those couple minutes. i put the car in park, and typically turn it off (unless its hot then it stays running for the AC), but always in park. i get my wallet out and remove the license and permit from wallet and set wallet on seat. our SUVs have back tinted windows, so if it isnt raining, down goes all four windows, showing i have nothing to hide. interior light on, and hands on the steering wheel. i also tell all passengers, hands where he can see em, no sudden movements.

i want the police officer to have as little to be concerned about as possible as he is walking to my vehicle. i figure the less stressed he is, the better our encounter will go.

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
How often do you blokes get "stopped"?

Mark.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well for speeding, or road blocks. About the only time I'm stopped is at road blocks where they checking for current license and registration.

I drive slow so speeding isn't really an issue for me. Lol

·
Premium Member
10,693 Posts
Edit: Joe beat me to it, I'll still post what I wrote up, anyway :)

Only when you're driving faster than the speed limit, your registration is expired, a tail-light is burnt out, things like that. Or maybe following a car accident... Occasionally after a crime police will setup road blocks to check people's drivers' licenses. That's about it. Police officers don't stop us just because we have a permit.

Along those lines, perhaps it bears mentioning that if you're carrying, you should try to make that extra effort to not break the law in any way such that you are liable to be pulled over. I basically never speed anymore, and try to be vigilant about keeping my registration up to date.

·
Premium Member
13,618 Posts
knock on American Black Walnut...... I haven't been pulled over since moving to Florida in 1985. Didn't say I haven't sped, just haven't been pulled over. I would offer up both license & permit if pulled. 8)

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
In Pa we don't have to tell and I don't in most cases..

·
Premium Member
10,693 Posts
Gunjunkie said:
In Pa we don't have to tell and I don't in most cases..
+1 for Georgia. There are some agencies near the big city that are notorious for harassing folks that are carrying legally.

·
Registered
8,204 Posts
I got stopped once on the interstate on my way to Houston by two Highway Patrolmen because my liscense plate had fallen off. When opening my wallet the patrolman spied my concealed carry permit and reached over and pulled it out of my wallet. I kinda got POed about it but he went to his car and called it in and everything was okay. He asked me if I had a gun and I told him I did not and he said okay and they got in their car and left. It is legal to travel with a gun in Texas, I don' know about other states.

Regards
Horseshoe

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I too try to be diligent and haven't been stopped for speeding in some time. Its the responsible thing to do to set a good example when you have that much power on your hip

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
In AZ, a person need not volunteer they have a permit/gun but LE do request you let them know. If you are asked (under the new law) you MUST answer truthfully that you have a gun or other CW, or risk being charged with Misconduct with Weapons.

All are correct so far...the ONLY time I've been pulled over was for a busted tail light lens. Hands on wheel, after retreiving the license and permit. Handed both to the officer and she said "Are you telling me you are armed?" I said yes and she said "Where is it?" I told her and she said "Just leave it there...let me see your registration and proof of insurance."

No problem.

Jon

·
Premium Member
18,026 Posts
Despite my desire for all you folks to think I'm a paragon of lawfullness and good behavior, the facts don't bear that out. I drive like a bat out of hell now and then, safely but expeditiously. I also carry my off-duty gun in places it's supposedly not allowed. I don't like being told what I can and can't do, and if it comes down to it, I'll avoid a place rather than disarm to legally enter it. Guns are only useful when they're in your control, and the ultimate irony would be getting shot in a robbery at a store right after locking my gun in my car because some pararoid shopkeeper was afraid of an inanimate object.

I got pulled over for speeding a month ago...........I was flying kinda low. ::) The rookie and I "chatted", I knew I was getting a ticket and I was NOT happy with the way I'd seen him driving, trying to catch up with me. I basically told the frisky young pup that his horrid driving was far more dangerous than my speeding, and I wasn't exactly shy about it. He ran a record check on me, verified my insurance, and printed out the ticket in short order. Did I tell him I was armed? Not a chance. I'm not required to tell him unless he asks me, and he was too busy trying to defend his crummy driving to worry about anything else. As vigorously as I was castigating him over his lack of road etiquette, if I'd mentioned having a gun he'd have probably called out the SWAT team. No sense in turning a good butt-chewing into an excuse to be knelt on at the side of the road with a 9mm screwed in my ear. I had better places to be.

In a previous life, about 30 years ago, I was a radio reporter, and handled the police beat. I talked to a lot of cops (before I ever thought seriously about joining the force) and often asked them what things they wished the public would do differently. Most said that when getting pulled over, stop thrashing around in the car! Traffic stops can be nerve-wracking for both parties, the driver is upset for getting stopped/busted, and the COP (Constable On Patrol) doesn't know if he's stopping his Fairy Godmother or Charles Manson. If you're flailing around in your car the officer doesn't know if you're looking for your license, or the sawed-off shotgun you keep under the seat. SIT STILL until he gets up to talk to you, and stop making the nice man with the gun on his hip so nervous. It only takes a few seconds longer. 8)

·
Premium Member
7,694 Posts
1895Gunner said:
knock on American Black Walnut...... I haven't been pulled over since moving to Florida in 1985. Didn't say I haven't sped, just haven't been pulled over. I would offer up both license & permit if pulled. 8)

In Florida they don't ask and I don't tell. If I were asked to exit the truck and I thought there was A chance the officer would see my gun I would tell him before he saw it.

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
papajohn said:
In a previous life, about 30 years ago, I was a radio reporter...
;D

Jon

·
Registered
811 Posts
I've only been stopped once lately. Did go thru a NCHP liscene checkpoint one day on the way home from a Cowboy Action shoot. Gunbelt with both 45's in the front seat, two rifles and two shotguns in the back seat.
Liscense, registration and a quick lean in to smell for alcohol and I was on my way.
CF
PS I think half the cops in that area shoot SASS and there has been at least one Cowboys vs. Cops match.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I drive an average of 130,000 miles per year....Its been 2 years since the last time I was pulled over (them damn traffic cameras are another story :mad:)...

In the free states...I hand the officer my carry permit at the same time I hand him my license. Its too much hassle to keep up with where you have to inform them and where you don't...So far, this hasn't caused me any trouble.

In the other states...I do my VERY best not to get pulled over ;D

Thing is...in a CMV, you don't have to be doing anything to get pulled over...they do it just to see if they can find anything to write you a $1,500 ticket for...but thats another story.

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
Cascade Jinx said:
Well OZ, I seemed to get stopped about every 30 t0 40 years! Dang I better clean up my act! :eek: ::) ;)

CJ
Bad type hey CJ? ;)

Mark.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Years ago in Nebraska (before ccw) My daughter in my new pickup got pulled over (she was about 17) state trooper asked for licence and reg and insurance. She opened the glove compartment it flopped down and the 480 srh falls on the floor. She picks it up throws it on the dash gives him the requested documents. He looks at them gives them back and says"have a nice day" she puts it all back and goes on.

We dont have much of a problem here in Ks or Ne. All the local cops knew i was carrying before we ever had a ccw. Now we dont have to tell them unless they ask.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts