Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Concealed Carry Semi-Auto Recommendations

8K views 126 replies 53 participants last post by  Darkcloud 
#1 · (Edited)
I am considering getting a compact 9 mm semi-auto for concealed carry. Right now I carry a Bersa ultra-compact 45 ACP, but there is nothing compact about a 45. I like the firepower, but I am looking for something a little more comfortable to carry all day.

A business associate has a Ruger LC9 that is about the size and weight I am looking for. Apparently the LC9 is no longer made but the EC9 is it's replacement? I don't want anything too small, I had a Smith & Wesson Bodyguard 380, but it was too tiny for my hands.

I would like to find something left-hand friendly (fully ambidextrous), 9mm-ish, slim (<1" wide) and relitivly light weight. While I'm not too concerned about imprinting, I don't want it overly obvious I'm packing when meeting clients. Recommendations?

Moderators, if this post is not in the correct sub-forum, please move to a more appropriate one.

#3 · (Edited)
I have a sig 365 with both the standard grip and the XL grip and personally think it’s the quintessential micro nine. I use the cross breed Kydex/bellyband system. I have a variety of other Kydex and leather options but I really like the crossbreed.

#4 ·
You could carry a Glock 36 if you like 45 ACP but it has a short grip. Definitely a deterrent when they see the big 45 hole in the barrel.

#7 ·
I really can't recommend any micro 9mm as my big paws utterly smother them so they're not a good fit for me. Besides, with 9mm my minimum bbl length is 3.5 plus inches to achieve reliable expansion.

For pocket carry, I opted for an SP 101 but had to change the grips to Altamont Oversize Fingergroove grips for my hands not to complain. 357MAG loaded with Speer 135gr GD HP short bbl loads of 1050fps, stellar and reliable expansion with more than acceptable energy.

Good luck in your search.

Jack

#42 ·
Thank you for your recommendation.

I do a lot of property maintenance requiring physical work like rolling around in tight spots. While checking out properties, Micro-cmpact don't fit my ham-fist either. For this particular purpose, revolvers (anything wider than 1") is very uncomfortable to lay on.

#12 ·
I have been carrying everyday for 8 years and my first EDC was a Ruger LC9, and then a Kimber compact in .45 and a PPK/S. The LC9 is an excellent pistol but was very uncomfortable to shoot because of the thin grips and it only held 8 rounds. The Kimber was heavier and harder to conceal without printing and had limited round capacity. The PPK/S was .380 and only 8 rounds and since it was stainless and a First Edition out of the new factory in Arkansas, too pretty to carry.

So I bought a Sig P-365 when they first came out and I will probably carry it forever. It comes either with a manual safety, or without, mine is without. The grip is very comfortable for me but I have to admit I have small hands. It came from the factory with two 10 round mags but also has 12 and 15 round mags available. The 12 round mag works the best for me because it extends the length of the grip to a perfect length and gives me 13 rounds total. The fifteen round mag extends the grip even more and would work better for guys with larger hands I would think. Plus you would have 16 rounds onboard.

I bought a 12 round mag for daily carry and two 15 rounds mags. I then put a 15 round and a 10 round mag in my truck and in my car so I have a total of 38 rounds available should I encounter a zombie apocalypse on one of my trips to Walmart.
The pistol has high round capacity, shoots excellent, is very reliable and more accurate than I am. It conceals excellent, is inexpensive, is light and checks all the boxes for what I want in an EDC handgun.

#46 ·
Thank you for your responses. My current EDC often ends up either in my truck, lunch box or tool bag, out of reach when I need it, because it is thick and too uncomfortable. I do a lot of physical work.

For this, I'm not concerned about high-capacity, single stacks make for a thinner pistol. Anything wider than 1" is very uncomfortable to lay on. Glocks, Sigs and 1911's are not left-hand friendly, not that many pistols are either. With my big hands, the thinness of a pistol it's not as big a problem as the length of the grip.

#14 ·
having been digitally challenged all my life, I have to stick to single stack semi-auto's or smaller framed revolvers. Yeah, that means "limited rounds" by today's standards, but that's more inspiration to make those rounds count. During the earlier years of my "legal" concealed carry, I carried a Kimber Stainless Compact .45 auto cocked and locked, IWB, for social occasions and it was very comfortable to carry. For my day job (land surveyor), I've always toted either a J-frame .38 spl, OWB, or a short barreled .357 mag OWB. In all that time, there's been quite a few "wonder nines" in the mix, and the Kahr CW9 has been chosen to stay for the last 12 years as my "social carry" handgun. As I get older, keeping the basic "manual of arms" similar on my carry guns, the simplicity of the DAO of the CW9 (carried IWB) is really close in operation to my Ruger SP-101 .357 mag (carried 6 days a week OWB). Either of those has the ultimate interface of "point and click", and both have had several thousand rounds (99% reloads) through the barrels. I really love the old Kimber (it's either a 1997 or 1998 "early model") but the thumb safety operation just doesn't feel all that comfortable to me now.

As an addition, if I'm wearing cowboy boots at the time, no matter what's on/inside my belt, there's a S&W Mod 36 in my left boot top to tag along. Pretty handy from a seated position ;). You might consider any one of the various Kahr offerings.

jd

#15 ·
I CC the Glock G43X with factory ameriglow sights, ShieldArms S15 mag in a Vedder LightTuck w/claw attachment. I love it! I have tried many options over many years. I still have my Kahr P380 when I want the tinny little pocket gun. I don't like any of the shorter grips then the 43x size. I want a full grip and the 43x is about as small as I can fit my whole hand, pinky and all. The ShieldArms mags gives you 15+1. I'm a big 45acp fan and the Kahr P45 was about the same size as the 43x but only held 6+1 and I wanted more capacity so I traded it in on the Glock. I also carried a S&W .38 Snub for many years because I believe a wheel gun never jams, but the capacity eventually won me over and the Glocks I have owned have been 100%. The 43x w/Shieldarms mags have been 100% reliable. You do have to change out the plastic mag release to metal if you run the Shieldarms metal mags but it's an easy do-it-yourself job thanks to youtube. Best of luck with your decision!

#17 ·
If you have a significant amount of 45 ACP ammunition and do not want to have to switch to 9mm consider the Kahr Arms P45, this has been my CCW go to carry weapon for quite some time now. I will occasionally carry my Sig 1911 when wearing heavier clothing, or if I need to be out past sundown. I have used the Glock 36 before I retired, as my department issued Glock 21 as a duty weapon and I liked keeping the manual of arms the same, also carried the 36 as my BUG. I prefer the Kahr over the Glock as the grip fits my hand better.

I have been able to shoot a number of the 9mm offerings over the past 2 years. The Ruger LCP and Max, Glock 43, 43X, 48, Sig 365 and 365 XL, Springfield Hellcat and RPD, S&W, SCCY, Kahr CW and P9. It is interesting how different they could be to shoot and carry. For me, 6’2” and a large hand the really small offerings just do not work as well as the slightly larger pistols.

I would much rather have the Glock 43x or 48 than the 43, the Sig 365XL over the 365, the larger Kahr over the smaller one. I can shoot and manipulate the larger weapon significantly better than the smaller ones. I am over 60 and do not give a damn about fashion, so I dress around the more capable, for my needs, weapon.

Hopefully you will be able to find a place to fire a number of the pistols you are looking for and see what works best for you. If not at least spend a lot of time handling different pistols to see what feels best in your hand. Would like to hear what you decide on when you make your choice, good luck.

#49 ·
If you have a significant amount of 45 ACP ammunition and do not want to have to switch to 9mm consider the Kahr Arms P45, this has been my CCW go to carry weapon for quite some time now. I will occasionally carry my Sig 1911 when wearing heavier clothing, or if I need to be out past sundown. I have used the Glock 36 before I retired, as my department issued Glock 21 as a duty weapon and I liked keeping the manual of arms the same, also carried the 36 as my BUG. I prefer the Kahr over the Glock as the grip fits my hand better.

I have been able to shoot a number of the 9mm offerings over the past 2 years. The Ruger LCP and Max, Glock 43, 43X, 48, Sig 365 and 365 XL, Springfield Hellcat and RPD, S&W, SCCY, Kahr CW and P9. It is interesting how different they could be to shoot and carry. For me, 6’2” and a large hand the really small offerings just do not work as well as the slightly larger pistols.

I would much rather have the Glock 43x or 48 than the 43, the Sig 365XL over the 365, the larger Kahr over the smaller one. I can shoot and manipulate the larger weapon significantly better than the smaller ones. I am over 60 and do not give a damn about fashion, so I dress around the more capable, for my needs, weapon.

Hopefully you will be able to find a place to fire a number of the pistols you are looking for and see what works best for you. If not at least spend a lot of time handling different pistols to see what feels best in your hand. Would like to hear what you decide on when you make your choice, good luck.
Thank you for your response and recommendations.

I'm looking for something to carry while working. My current carry often ends up out of reach when I need it, because it is thick and too uncomfortable. I do a lot of physical work crawling around in tight places.

Ammo availability or choice of caliber is not big concern, I have 22LR, 380, 38, 357, 9mm, 40 and 45 in stock. However, most of my pistols are full size. My Bersa 45 Compact (I love this gun) is really a full size cut down. I also have a Bersa 380 but it is wide and heavy for a compact. The only other thing I have is a Sterling in 22 LR but it is less than reliable.

I used to review of pistols for a local gun store but I did not shoot a lot of compacts. it was difficult in the best of times to find and check out Kel-Tecs, SCCYs, Kahr CW, Bersa striker fires, etc. Like you, I prefer function over form. Also, expensive, pretty guns will be confiscated as evidence and most likely not returned in the event it's used in self-defense.

#19 ·
Although I have a Glock I’m not fond of it. I’ve shot all of my brothers Sigs including 365’s and the ergonomics isn’t correct for my hand. I have long fingers and hand. My thumb hits the mag release on recoil. Not good. My wife has a S&W EZ it’s fine to shoot but I like big holes or magnum .357. I mostly carry my Dan Wesson revolver or a commander sized 1911. Even with a 2 1/2” barrel the D&W isn’t what most call “conceal” nor is a1911. But hey they work for me but I don’t wear shorts or gym clothes out. I wear jeans and a T shirt with a button down not tucked and buttoned. I think the Serapis works for my single actions. 😂. If I need another I was looking at a Star PD or the Star in 38 super, but I just like revolvers more. The Ruger SP or GP would be my next.

#20 · (Edited)
As far as never having had an operational issue, during duty carry or otherwise, a Sig 225, SIG 228, S&W 3913 and a compact 5 shot 38 revolver (titanium type). A SIG 225 is hard to beat, not the 225 A1, which is probably equally as good, just never carried one.

#22 ·
I used use to carry a Ruger LCPII but stepped up to a EC9s a year or so ago. Really like the EC9s and it is really not that much more in weight than the LCPII. Carry it in an Urban Carry Lock Leather IWB holster. Really comfy.

#24 ·
Once you get below the size of a compact (4") barrel handgun, make sure the grip fits your hands. Several of the smaller 9mms are not at all comfortable at all for me to shoot. This includes the Sig 938, S&W Shield, and the Sig 365.

However, the Sig 365XL is a different critter entirely. I love that one. The extra bit of length of the grip makes all the difference to me. I may eventually buy another handgun, but not for my personal carry. I put a Hogue grip sleeve on mine and it fits my hand even better.

Go to a larger stocking dealer and handle everything you can. It MUST fit your hand. If you can, shoot the ones that fit best.

Definitely have a look at Sig 365XL, and the S&W M&P 2.0 compact 3.6" barrel. There are others by different manufacturers, but these are the ones I'm familiar with. If you refuse to carry a polymer frame, consider the Springfield EMP in 9mm. The EMP and the Sig 365XL can share the same holster--outline sizes are identical. These are all wonderfully reliable, eating whatever you feed them in factory ammo. The caveat here is that the EMP firing pin will pierce primers on my reloads--but not with factory ammo. It has to do with the rebound speed of the titanium firing pin leaving an unsupported primer indentation that is punched back out into the firing pin channel.

Once you get smaller than these models mentioned above, 9mms can be uncomfortable to shoot. There's just not enough to hold onto, and not enough weight to tame the recoil. Same thing for the micro 380s. If it' not fun to shoot, you won't practice with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.