Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Wife and I stopped by the Sportsman's Warehouse store in Southaven, MS this past Saturday afternoon. She wanted to check on some outdoor type clothes and I wanted to check on the supply of ammo and reloading supplies (not that I needed anything, but wanted to just see what they had in stock.).

This was the first time she or myself had been to the store since mid-March.
In any case, she found what she was looking for. For myself, the inventory was darned slim (I won't need anything for quite sometime.)

Common centerfire ammunition like .223, 9mm, 7.62x39, .40 auto, or .45 ACP was gone. Likewise for ammo for most every other handgun caliber.
Primers - good supply as long as all you wanted was shotgun or large rifle. Minimal large pistol. NO small rifle or small pistol. ZERO!!
Powder - they had maybe 8 - 10 pounds of unpopular powder.
Bullets - minimal supply of unpopular weights and calibers.
Brass - same story, had some, but you could forget about any self-defense calibers.I didn't even check on any rimfire stuff - my cupboard is stocked.

I sure am glad I stocked up after the primer scares of the Clinton years and NEVER let my stock dip below my comfort level again!

I shop in this store on a regular basis and I haven't seen the shelves this bare since Barry took office! Kind'a scary to see this again.

Are y'all seeing this? Is this the story everywhere?

WYT-P
Skyhunter

·
Super Moderator
15,215 Posts
I haven't been in my LGS for a month, but when I was in there the ammo supply was way down... Still had a fair bit of powders but I think the reloaders in my area stocked up after the last shortage... Not so good choices of bullets and primers... I'll now more after this Saturday as I'm making a trip into town...

·
Registered
688 Posts
I stopped in my local Cabela's Friday and got some Nosler Varmageddon bullets for the 22 Hornet and the Lyman 50th manual. They had plenty of bullets and brass selection was pretty good. They had a total of five pounds of three different IMR powders. I almost bought the single bottle of 3031 on GP. Didn't look for primers or ammo, but did check out the used rifle rack. Only problem was it wasn't there. Even the room where they keep the fancy expensive used guns was just about bare. I'm glad I'm stocked up on powder and .22 LRs.

·
Super Moderator
11,591 Posts
I saw the same thing the last couple times I was in Academy but did luck into a pound of H110 one day. I was already fairly well stocked before corona happened but wound up buying a bunch of bullets and several cases of primers and powder during the shutdown. I hate paying hazmat fees on top of shipping but figured the future ME would be happy we made the investment.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Scheels in KC didn't have their usual supply's of ammo and loading stuff but they had ammo and powder that I use. I didn't need any but it was there. Cabelas and Academy looked empty with bare shelves. Got to love Scheels.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Have not been to the LGS in months. Going to have give them a call. I've a rifle on consignment there.
Ive been able to filll my powder needs from Brownells and Midway luckily enough for me. Just ordered an 8 pound jug of IMR4198 from Brownells.
Shooting mostly cast lead so online ordering been pretty regular for that.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Supplies, ammo and guns are in short supply right now.

My Sportsmans has been running sales on Fed 209A primers.
Can only buy 1 brick at a time, but the price is far better, no shipping no hazmat.

I get my other supplies from Grafs, etc, entirely on total price including shipping and hazmat.
Stock up.

Sportsmans rarely offers the best price on anything.
They used to offer "availability" but even that is in short supply.

Reactions: shawlerbrook

·
Premium Member
10,400 Posts
Have not looked around here recently but we didn't have many places that carry reloading supplies to begin with. I am happy I took notice a few years ago and stocked up when things got back to normal even thought he prices were higher than before. I suspect when the supply gets back to normal again the prices will all be a little higher than they were the first of the year and they will stay there.

·
Premium Member
4,588 Posts
Don't have anything bigger than Academy as far as sporting goods stores here. However my favorite LGS has their usual supply of powders, (high priced primers, as usual) and the near normal smallish selection of bullets. Their ammo supply looks pretty good, other than shotgun type projectiles. 22LR & WMR, as well as most handgun ammo is close yo normal, but down some.

Their usually well stocked supply of used handguns is showing signs of the times. Still some black rifles and bolt guns, along with lever guns,.......except if you want to order something they don't have, I'm hearing a longer than normal wait time. Like 6 weeks as a guess.

If this madness in the progressive states continues, I expect thing to eventually change here. But I'm only an observer at this point. I hope is doesn't go any further towards the anarchy & violence seen on TV. And I continue to pray for our Country and the President daily.

·
Registered
9,436 Posts
Haven’t looked in a while, but like Golphin, we have very few dealers that carry reloading supplies. My plan during Obama and Cuomo’s SafeAct was to have a lifetime supply of everything I can think of. Although, I might need something here or there, I am close. I will guarantee the shortages will get worse as we approach November and if it goes bad you will see panic buying of everything November 2020 until January 2021.

·
Registered
836 Posts
The local news ran a story about a LGS that sold 25,000 rounds of 9mm in one day.

I continue to have people who have never owned a gun of any type in their life ask me how to "arm up". Some of these people are starting to sound like they are close to a panic. Maybe it's time to start a consulting business.

I figure this will get much worse right before the election. I am also counting on the stock market to take a serious dip if Biden wins. Most of my friends feel that the feces will hit the fan and it will be a big scoop if Trump wins. Our place to live down on the farm is progressing too slowly. It may be time to start thinking about neighborhood emergency strategies with the neighbors.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
I bet they had plenty of .357SIG and 7mm-08.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I just finally found a site (https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/) that had small rifle primers in stock. Picked up a couple bricks of those and a couple pounds of IMR-4166 to spread the HazMat fee out some. Seems like primers are the hardest thing to find in this area. None of the big-box or LGSs seem to be able to keep small rifle primers in stock. I had to go with Federal when I've always loaded with CCI 400s. Wondering if I'll see any significant difference in POI and group size... I agree with posts above that this is just going to get increasingly worse and components harder to source over the next 5-months or so.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Stopped by a LGS today and picked up these goodies. Don't usually shop there because they're pricing is always higher than other places but this was not bad. The only thing I thought was a little over priced was the Hornady 265gr FP @ $35.00 a box. Didn't need them but with Hornady stopping production of that particular product figured I better get another box. 20200701_160307.jpg

·
Premium Member
18,003 Posts
In St Louis we have a choice, Graf's or Dunn's. Neither have much in the way of 9mm, 45ACP, 223, 308, 300AAC, etc. Both have huge quantities of powder and primers, and in most cases they have component bullets, that's not something they carry a lot of most of the time, though Graf's tends to keep a goodly supply of jacketed and cast boolits for most calibers. I've got several cases of primers in the stash, and LOTS of powder, I'm still living up to my title. At any given time I can load up a goodly batch of any of the calibers I load, and while I can always use more components, I think I'll wait until January, when the prices come back down. I may be a bit of a turtle these days, but I still have the patience to win this race! :bandit:

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
" I figure this will get much worse right before the election. I am also counting on the stock market to take a serious dip if Biden wins. Most of my friends feel that the feces will hit the fan and it will be a big scoop if Trump wins."
--WhiteCloud

BINGO! The Smarty Money predicted this and saw it start to happen about 3-4 months ago. The run on ammunition, reloading components and firearms will only increase along with prices, even for junk firearms....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts