Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just returned from my local Cabelas and had just handled two marlins in the used racks, both of which were Remlins. One was a 336W, the other was a 1895GBL. Fit and finish were atrocious and the wood was so THICK!, let alone ugly! Right next to these two "blacksheep" was a stainless 1895G that was pure New Haven greatness. Absolutely no comparison. I didn't look at any other guns that were new from behind the counter cause I refuse to take a number, since that has what it has come to for customer service at my local Cabelas. Just like the DMV! ::) Anyways, I just had to rant a little and let out my frustration since I honestly felt sick after handling those two Remlins. Definitely no new Marlin lever actions for me :'(. Only the oldies but goodies! 8)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Remington has turned me into a "collector" of JM Marlins. I doubt if I will ever buy a new Remington-made Marlin.

·
Super Moderator
15,870 Posts
I was in my local (Lacey, WA) Cabela's on Friday, 06/10. I looked at 6 or 7 45/70's both 1895, GG, and a GBL. The two GG were of 2007 mfg, JM proof marked and were flawless. The others and one 336C 30/30 were absolute trash, all with MR serial numbers and REP proof marks! Wood to metal fit was horrible, levers and bolt way too tight, misaligned front and rear sights, and buggered screws. Used Marlin®s only for this old soldier!

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 336W I handled had a JM barrel but a Remlin serial number. I just couldn't get over how fat the wood was. It was just uncomfortable to even handle let alone anything else. Just pure garbage. I just don't understand why Remington is letting Marlin go to hell like it is. Makes no sense. Its an end of an era, and its so very sad to see it pass. :'(

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
Gentlemen,

I could not agree more.

To me it felt like seeing a loved one involved in an accident. You know that hollow pit in your stomach.

They (Remington) should be ashamed with what they are putting out. STOP IT already. Do they read this board?

The bright side is look at all of the old good Marlins out there.

mckmain

·
Premium Member
1,881 Posts
From the reports that are coming out, the new Remlins have to either be a result of sabotage or Marlin was bought to be a business write-off when it folds. Not a pleasant thought.

·
Registered
32,306 Posts
It's enough to make a grown man cry. :'( :'( :'(

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
DDS444 said:
The 336W I handled had a JM barrel but a Remlin serial number. I just couldn't get over how fat the wood was. It was just uncomfortable to even handle let alone anything else. Just pure garbage. I just don't understand why Remington is letting Marlin go to hell like it is. Makes no sense. Its an end of an era, and its so very sad to see it pass. :'(
You can't blame the wood on the 336W on Remington. These guns were made with thick birch stocks many years before Remington bought Marlin. Sooooooooooo, Remington isn't letting Marlin go to hell, as you put it. The birch stocks have ALWAYS been lousy.

·
Registered
20,300 Posts
RevDerb said:
From the reports that are coming out, the new Remlins have to either be a result of sabotage or Marlin was bought to be a business write-off when it folds. Not a pleasant thought.
This is exactly what I've been thinking Rev! SOMETHING has got to be up with all the recent crap they have been putting out! When was the last time you heard anything positive about the new marlins coming out? They HAVE to know something is wrong, with all the complaints and 'send backs'/repairs we have been hearing about! It appears, IMHO, that they are either doing it on purpose, or, don't care about QA. Either way, I would not purchase anything recently made from them as I work very hard for my $ and any company that wants my business, should work equally hard to get it and keep it! So far, that isn't happening and until it does, my $ will go elsewhere!

·
Premium Member
4,446 Posts
My gun source (GUN MANUFACTURERS TO MOVE OUT OF NEW YORK POST) says Freedom Group bought Marlin only for the equipment. At some point they will shut down Marlin production entirely and use the equipment for "other stuff." They make Remington, Marlin, and Bushmaster, all in the same plant now and the story is they are going to move them all out of the Northeast and come down to the South, Georgia, North or South Carolina. (Headquarters are already in North Carolina)

We shall see what happens.

GB45

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The birch stocks have ALWAYS been lousy

I'm sorry Halwg, I know what I saw and I know what I felt. It was thicker than previous stocks on 336Ws. And as far as Remington is concerned, I don't buy a darned thing that they produce. Never will! I would rather see Marlin go the way of the dodo than what is being produced. I stand by my previous comments in this thread.

Reactions: domct203

·
Premium Member
4,446 Posts
I believe one of the original Marlin workers posted before about the wood stocks being used by Remlin now - they went to a whole new outside source provider for all their stocks and I can tell you that every one I have seen - over 50 in gun shows and stores - are much thicker, have very little grain if they are walnut, and the birch wood is plain, way oversized, and horribly fit. The checkering is pressed on with some kind of roller jiggything and in almost every case the patterns are not totally pressed. I can tell a Remlin in the rack at Dicks from 15 feet away. I asked one of the sales reps at Dick's, "How can you in good conscience sell these guns when you know how bad they are?" He stepped over to the side of the counter and said to me, "The job market out there is not very good and I need my job."

I just do not understand the people who continue to defend the FREEDOM GROUP/REMINGTON/MARLIN Company when you can see that Bushmaster Rifles, Remington Rifles, and Marlin Rifles are going way down in quality and issues are being reported across the board. They talk the big talk at gun shows while at the same time they know they are going to change nothing.

It reminds me of the car salesman who wants you to think the old clunker he is selling is a jewel - while in fact is is a lemon.

GB45

·
Super Moderator
15,870 Posts
As an adjunct to this conversation, how are the H&R®/NEF® single shot shotguns made by Remlin? They are also made in Ilion, NY.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Judging from the posts here, it appears that Remington is intent on running Marlin into the ground, whether intentionally or otherwise. Business history is full of such incidents.

Those of you familiar with Fender guitars (sort of the Model 94 of guitars) know that they are extremely popular with pop musicians. Well, Fender was bought by CBS and the rest is history. Guitarists will now pay a king's ransom for a "pre-CBS" Fender as they are superior instruments. Incidentally, CBS also took over Steinway Pianos with the same result.

Based upon several threads here, in my opinion, it appears that pre-Remington Marlins will sky-rocket in price while you won't be able to give away a Remlin.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was originally planning to join this board because I was the proud new owner of a Marlin. Unfortunately this is not the case, apparently I am here to rant. I bought my first Marlin this past Friday before doing my research and I couldn't rack the lever at the store because it had a wire tie around it. I brought it home and noticed that the breech bolt, ahead of the extractor has deep, pronounced machine marks. So I start doing my research and find out it was made by remington. Well, I called them this morning and was told to send it in. Knowing remington I told them that I can't wait the 6 weeks turnaround time, and I offered to purchase a new bolt. They said now, the bolt must be installed at the factory. Why would a part that is readily removed and re-installed as part of cleaning need to be replaced at the factory? And when I said I am never buying another remington, the guy said "ok, goodbye". I will end up trying to smooth out the bolt myself, hopefully I don't mess it up.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
I`m sure all this "customer un-happyness" will show up on their bottom line. Hard to stay in business when your cutomers
don`t like (buy) your product.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
From what I have been seeing lately while surfing various gun boards the past couple of years; I don't think that it is just Marlin who is suffering in the quality department, but their other brands, as well as their own seem to be getting thoroughly torpedoed too. Almost makes me wonder if they are trying to sink a nice chunk of the U.S. firearms manufacturing industry for profit.

·
Premium Member
4,446 Posts
Almost makes me wonder if they are trying to sink a nice chunk of the U.S. firearms manufacturing industry
That statement has been made before by others who think this is the agenda of the CURRENT ADMINISTRATION . . I don't think that myself because these companies are greedy for our money but still can not understand the Freedom Group's logic to try to make more money by putting out cheaper garbage rifles when they could make so much more money by simply putting out a quality product that consumers will buy. . . . . . . . . . :hmmmm:

GB45

·
Premium Member
10,948 Posts
You can't blame the wood on the 336W on Remington. These guns were made with thick birch stocks many years before Remington bought Marlin. Sooooooooooo, Remington isn't letting Marlin go to hell, as you put it. The birch stocks have ALWAYS been lousy.
You're WRONG, Hal.................The North Haven Birch stocks may not have had the color and grain of the Walnut stocks, but they were carved, sanded, shaped and polished to the SAME dimensions as the WALNUTS..........I know,....... I supported all the gages and tooling for the North Haven Wood Room.

Tom

·
Premium Member
10,948 Posts
My gun source (GUN MANUFACTURERS TO MOVE OUT OF NEW YORK POST) says Freedom Group bought Marlin only for the equipment. At some point they will shut down Marlin production entirely and use the equipment for "other stuff." They make Remington, Marlin, and Bushmaster, all in the same plant now and the story is they are going to move them all out of the Northeast and come down to the South, Georgia, North or South Carolina. (Headquarters are already in North Carolina)

GB45
GB45,

Lotta' rumors out there........don't believe everything a Gun Clerk says............

I don't think FGI/REM bought Marlin for the mfg equipment, that would make absolutely NO sense.

They bought Marlin as an under-valued gun company, and they figured they could squeeze more profit out of it, if they pushed the employees harder, and cut the benefits..........

Then, they were sold a "consolidation plan" by Joe Gross, (The FGI COO,at the time) to close NH CT and consolidate it into Ilion.........
I know this to be true, as I was in attendance for Gross's arrogant speech, when he (FGI) announced the closure to the work force in North Haven........I recall his response to an employee's question of WHY?????...........he answered, " These guns are easy, we could build them anywhere".........................

Surprise, Joe!.......Ya can't, 'cause ya don't have the talent, or experience in Ilion...But I guess you know that, now.........

Will FGI try to move the company(s) from Ilion to the south??...............I don't see that happening, when the Remington plant has a little over 1 million Sq feet of Mfg space within six multi floor buildings on a campus in Ilion, and is the largest Mfgr/Employer in the county.............

Basically, they (FGI) can bully their way, to get anything they want in Ilion, and the Herkimer (sp?) county of New York............Not to mention the contractual agreements they have with NY for all the tax credits, which hopefully, will be difficult to wiggle out of..........

Not saying I know the future of Marlin, but I don't see another move..............Maybe a final closure of the Marlin product line, and a financial write off, like L.C. Smith, or even a fire sale to another new owner, ...........but not a move...............

Just my thoughts............

Tom

1 - 20 of 21 Posts