Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. Im in Australia, and have noticed that when buying a compass from the States I have to specify southern hemisphere. So Im tipping the opposite end of the needle is panted red than on a northern hemisphere compass. Because it reads the magnet pull from the south pole rather than north. All good. What happens if you're standing at the equator? Cheers, Scott.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I guess the "northern hemisphere" compass with the south pole painted red will point north, and the "southern hemisphere" compass with the north pole painted red will point south.

What time is it? Ah! It's time for one of my useless stories again:

In 2001, the TIMED (Thermosphere Ionosphere and Mesosphere Energetics and Dynamics) satellite was launched with its magnetorquer control software with incorrect polarity values. The guy who checked the torquing rods polarities used a compass. He forgot that on a "northern hemisphere" compass, the "North" pointing part of the arrow is actually the "South" pole of the needle! Hence, the software had reversed values. As the satellite was tumbling out of alignment when using the magnetorquers, they figured out that negative values should have been positive and vice versa. All that because of a little compass needle and the "opposites attract" thing.

There, I feel better.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess the "northern hemisphere" compass with the south pole painted red will point north, and the "southern hemisphere" compass with the north pole painted red will point south.

What time is it? Ah! It's time for one of my useless stories again:

....................There, I feel better.
Mate, I love little stories like that! Ive got lots of 'em. My kids hate it though, they always ask a question followed with "and can we have just the answer without the story?" .....:biggrin:

Cheers, Scott.

·
Premium Member
5,420 Posts
Don't reckon I'll ever be on the equator to find out . . either way one end points north and one end points south.

·
Premium Member
7,898 Posts
If you order a sundial, is the gnomon reversed? ;)

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Would that be "magnetic equator"or "geographical equator"? The geographical equator is a line equidistant from the geographical North and South poles, which are the ends of the axle around which the earth turns. As the magnetic poles are in different places from the geographical poles, I would call a line equidistant to the magnetic poles the "magnetic equator". Such a line would occupy a different geographical location from the geographical equator and the two lines would intersect at two points.
Do they make maps in the southern hemisphere with "South" at the top?
Do they really paint the needle differently for the Southern Hemisphere? The same end STILL points in the same direction, no matter what color.
I've never had a problem with a compass at the equator. I've read the problem is when you get close to the poles.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do they make maps in the southern hemisphere with "South" at the top?
Do they really paint the needle differently for the Southern Hemisphere? The same end STILL points in the same direction, no matter what color.
I've never had a problem with a compass at the equator. I've read the problem is when you get close to the poles.
Never seen a map with South at the top!...........As for the paint, I wasnt sure if it was a pole attraction thing or the earth is a negative and positive charge mass like a magnet. It seems the later is so. I also remebered I bought a small Silva compass/thermometer from the UK a while back, and it points north.......last time I checked the UK was in the northern Hem, so it obviously doesnt matter.

So the question still is: Why do some manufacturers (Cammenga is one) require you to say which hemisphere it will live in?

Beats me.

The toilet water spins clockwise by the way......:)

The vines? Good question?

Cheers, Scott.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
My experience with being on the equator is that you're too busy looking for air-conditioning to look at a compass. :hmmmm:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.